Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new '16 RGU now the new accessories need to be purchased. Our first road trip is coming up. Recommendations on a bag for on top of the tour pac. Go...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Got the new '16 RGU now the new accessories need to be purchased. Our first road trip is coming up. Recommendations on a bag for on top of the tour pac. Go...
T-Bags Dekker II fits nice on the tour pack rack, good storage space with outer pockets and comes with a rain cover.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-Bags Dekker II fits nice on the tour pack rack
Thank you. That is one that's on my list of considerations.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My BESTEM rack-bag came yesterday (EBAY part # LGHD-GLIDE-DFL $67.96) I'll try to post a pic of it on the bike next week. It's gonna look nice (not too big) and fits the rack perfect. I like it because it's only 8" tall and will collapse if needed. I put 9 pair of jeans in it for the picture but just needs to hold 2 leather jackets. Only bad thing is, it has no rain cover. It's 20 x 12 x 8.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Whatever bag you decide on, just make sure it doesn't sit up so high that it makes you top heavy when its mounted on the bike. I bought a Kuryakyn gran traveler bag on sale last year, but haven't used it yet.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
779 Posts
What I have found to work best for me is the water proof bags from REI and any large sporting goods stores. It doesnt look all that cool but it works.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
What I have found to work best for me is the water proof bags from REI and any large sporting goods stores. It doesnt look all that cool but it works.

Yep, I use Sealine 10 Liter Dry bags. The 30 Liter is to big. I'd rather have a few small ones. Ive never carried more than 3 on the rack since that's simplest to tie down. Lots of colors but I get either the black or orange ones. You can usually find them on sale for under $20 bucks. I use them fishing, hunting and kayaking too, which I couldn't do we a dedicated bike bag.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've had a T-Bags Dakota for about 6 years and love it. It's freaking HUGE and holds a ton of stuff. It's also got spots on it to use a cargo net if you want to tie down jackets or helmets.

With that said, I've become a big fan of dry bags. Ortlieb makes great stuff that's 100% waterproof.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Problem with bags is big ones tend to get over loaded. But if you can restrain your self there are a lot of good ones.
This year we found it was time to replace our larger one. It had survived a crash but was showing wear. This one worked out great for us this year. It has a small pouch that detaches works well for stuff wife wants to grab and take in with here some times. It attaches well to the bike and hold a lot of stuff. Also priced right.

Trunk Bags ? Castle X Snow and Motorcycle Apparel

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
365 Posts
T-Bags King Boot Case in and out. Strap outer to pak rack with attached velcto. 2 riders pack for a week easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
My greatest concerns about all of these options are security. How do you secure these bags so they don't just walk away while you are in a restaurant or bathroom??

·
Registered
251 Posts
We got a T-Bag Dekker II bag. You have to watch what your passenger wants to pack in it. I use it to carry quick essentials like rain gear, camera, gloves etc. Wife wanted to fill it up. Tried letting her once, the bike became to top heavy. This bag is big, hard sided works very well attachment is rock solid and the rain cover does a good job.
Again the main issue with this or any bag that goes on top of a tour pack is weight. Watch your load can make things very unstable.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I would also consider bags for inside your tourpak and saddlebags. it's great when you get to your stop and all you have to do is reach into the pak/bag and grab the handles and pull the whole mess out in one fell swoop.

and they aren't terribly expensive either.

the basic ones work fine, while the 'premium' ones cost a little more but have stiffer walls on them. either one will work great.

Reactions: RGUWalt

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Got this one as a gift a couple years ago. It works out quite well.

Also have this Saddleman. Tons of room at the cost of the rear seat.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My greatest concerns about all of these options are security. How do you secure these bags so they don't just walk away while you are in a restaurant or bathroom??
I use the Velcro strips to attach it to the tour-pak rack, open the rain cover & then use a cargo net over it.
In tens of thousands of travel miles I have never had any security problem for meal or bathroom stops.
Naturally, I take it off the sled overnight.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have the T-bags dresser roller bag, and also the Space Saver bag. The dresser roller bag is in my opinion too big and heavy for the tourpack. I used it on my trip to SWV and I won't use it again solo touring. As others pointed out it makes the bike too top heavy. I might use it if the wife and I do a weekend trip but that would be it. I believe the tourpack rack is only meant to carry 15lbs.

The space saver is a great size and weighs next to nothing. I can pack all my camping gear in it and my clothes in a waterproof roll bag on the passenger seat. The space saver also holds a fair amount of clothes if going 2-up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts