Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,
I recently purchased from eBay a tour pack in need of repair. The lock mysteriously quit functioning from listing to sale time. It has a flat style of key not a barrel key. Of course it's locked closed.

The key turns in the lock. The middle part of the cylinder comes out an 1/8" or so when you turn the key to unlock. Is this normal?

Can I simply take the Allen head screws out of the plate directly above the lock cylinder and the part inside the lock catches on fall off thus giving me access? This sounds too easy and I'm assuming there are nuts on the back side.

The pack appears to be from a police bike as it has a Harley police badge on top of the lid. At what year did they change from flat key to barrel key or vice versa?

I performed some searches about tour pack locks but nothing really panned out.
Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill. You can probably gain access to the inside (and lock cylinder removal) by removing the hinge pins on the opposite side. The lock cylinder is easily removed and can be brought to a locksmith along with your ignition key and they can make you a new cylinder to match the desired key. It doesn't have to be done by a Harley dealer unless, of course, you just feel like paying a lot more. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If it's a police tour pac, with the lock in the center of the latch, they are all keyed the same. I'm betting your local dealer would have key in stock...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: X-ring's advice of knocking out the hinge pins worked to gain access. From that point and a roll of duct tape to support the hinge side of the lid and with the trusty help of my 5yr old granddaughter holding a flashlight, I was able to remove the lock cylinder and separate the two halves.

FLTRI's advice comes into to play here too. Something I hadn't noticed yet. The Police tour pak doesn't have the two latches and lock cylinder that everyone is used to. The police tour pack has the lock cylinder in the center, when unlocked you press the center of the lock cylinder which opens the latch allowing you to gain access. It's similar in design to the first style of automotive seat belts we are all used to. After you "click it" you have to push the button on the side to release it. A faster, less hands on for the person who's working and possibly in and out of the tour pak at every stop.

So as it turns out the lock cylinder isn't the actual issue. The tab of the latch that the cylinder actually presses against to open it, is made of pot metal and it broke off so the cylinder has nothing to push against. It being less common is why I've also not seen it in various Internet searches as well.

Hopefully this might help someone out later who has a police style tour pak and has lock issues.
Thanks,

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts