Road Glide banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used King tour pack off e-bay. Have also ordered the detachable mount. My question is this......I see in many there us a metal base plate theat covers the entire floor of the inside of the TP. Mine doesn't appear to have (have not lifted the carpet to see). If it doesn't, can I make my own w/ just some flat metal plate from a local hardware - will large fender washers suffice or is it recomended that I find a used one to install?
Just not sure of it's purpose other than to dispurse stress aroud the mounting points.........
I know it's a bit of a silly question- but I just don't wanna have not investing in a $50 plate affect the box that I purchased and an plan on painting.....

Thanks in advance......

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ordered a Off Brand when I had my Road King.. It came with exhaust hanger material.. worked great.. also came with rubber washers to put between the mounting plate and tourpak.. pain to assemble, but no vibration and that would keep it from cracking too..

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks.....

I will check my tour pack on my '08, originally on my riding buddy's '07 Street Glide. He rode alone, so set up his quick release placing the TP where the passenger seat would be. When the TP is off, on goes either a QR rack or QR passenger seat with rack and sissy bar.

Having inherited his setup, and having ridden FL with the traditional TP setup, my comparison is that the forward passenger seat location offers a much superior ride. 'Course if you want both a TP and lug a passenger, then not an option.

Photos in my scrapbook album.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will check my tour pack on my '08, originally on my riding buddy's '07 Street Glide. He rode alone, so set up his quick release placing the TP where the passenger seat would be. When the TP is off, on goes either a QR rack or QR passenger seat with rack and sissy bar.

Having inherited his setup, and having ridden FL with the traditional TP setup, my comparison is that the forward passenger seat location offers a much superior ride. 'Course if you want both a TP and lug a passenger, then not an option.

Photos in my scrapbook album.
I'm planning on mounting a tad forward.....mama doesn't ride with anymore since we have the little one.....I did buy a detachable mount so I should have someroom to scoot it forward a tad......still want to leave some space so I can place an additional bag on the passenger area, any pics of teh underside where mounted w/ some measurments would be helpful.... Thanks!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My GF had an '06 Road King and when she traded it in on a '12 Street Glide 3 years ago, we kept the tour-pak she had added to the King. We got it painted to match here Street Glide and had to get a new detachable mounting bracket. Went ahead and bought the new reinforcing plate (90755-09). It is the right size and pre-drilled to match the new bracket. It cost $15 and change.
She has a solo seat on the Streetie and when she runs the tour-pak in the forward position it sits right behind the seat. Looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm planning on mounting a tad forward.....mama doesn't ride with anymore since we have the little one.....I did buy a detachable mount so I should have someroom to scoot it forward a tad......still want to leave some space so I can place an additional bag on the passenger area, any pics of teh underside where mounted w/ some measurments would be helpful.... Thanks!
My two point quick detach tour pakis king sized and sits close to but not touching my Mustang backrest. I have a Mustang solo wit quick detach passenger seat when wife rides with me; two up is now almost never 'cause I bought her an ''08 Dyna CVO 105th Anniversary to replace her '98 Dyna evo. She loves the CVO.

With the tour pac forward like mine, the bike is not top heavy as when the TP is loaded and hanging out the back. Plus, it looks cool. I have a quick release fender rack when TP is off and no one on the back saddle.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to mention that my TP does have a metal plate on the interior floor, with a thin rubber-like cushion above.
I got mine mocked up this past weekend. Made a plate for the bottom so the new style detach mount would mount flat. Used a piece of diamond plate and made my own interior floor mount. Gonna powder coat them both. The inside of my used TP had an old carpet liner.....I left it just as a barrier....installed my interior plate over & have a hard fitted liner on order to sit it for a finished look after I have it painted.......Hope it have it all ready to go by early to mid May (realy depends on painter)......Thanks for all the replies!!!!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I purchased a painted tourpak for an upcoming trip, and was considering the forward mounting bracket and solo seat for the trip.
Think I'll stop and see if the parts are in stock at my dealer.
Sure looks comfy :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.