Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had some issues with my aftermarket king tour pack and need to purchase a new one. I have my options narrowed down to 2-choices. If you want to see what happened to my aftermarket ABS tourpak look in the aftermarket equipment section.

Option #1: is a used but like new factory tourpak already painted the correct color for sale in the classifieds here for $899. This is an ABS plastic tourpak similar to the one that just failed me, but perhaps better quality plastic than my aftermarket was. It looks real nice and is ready to go. It also comes with the mount even though I don't really need it.

Option #2: is a new aftermarket unpainted, unprepped top and bottom Fiberglass tourpak. The company selling it is Cavalry Fiberglass and they make saddlebags and fenders as well. The price shipped is $250. I will need to paint it and prep for hinges, latches, and backrest pad. I already have all of those items so no added expense is needed other than painting which I will do myself.

With my research I learned the MOCO last used Fiberglass Tourpaks on the 2005 models and started with ABS Plastic in 2006. I assume the ABS is less expensive to make, but in my thought process would not be as strong as Fiberglass. Some of the comments I read said if given the choice to get the ABS version which surprised me. Is the ABS better than the Fiberglass.

When I did some searching for reviews on the Cavalry Fiberglass all I came up with was info on their saddlebags which appear to be favorable with regard to the fiberglass and construction. if anyone here has used any of their fiberglass products I would like to hear your opinion.

·
Registered
454 Posts
buyer beware

As with fiberglass, depending on the manufacturer abs can be total crap or well built. Pick a reputable company and you shouldn't have a problem. Do a search there are other companies like Swinebox and Powerproductsparts.com.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I don't have one yet but I have been having the same debate as you. I just don't think I can justify $7-8-900 for a box that I wil use 2-3 times a year......I have heard ,many who wentv aftermarket & initially had no issues & then all of a sudden like you have just had....Failure........

I'm probably going with an old one (with even slight damage.....I have a buddy who is awesome with Fiberglass so I trust him to correct any small crack or chip or whatevere). I'll paint at my leisure, add a detachable plate & will still have $4-500 invested...........SO- at the one ready to go for $899.....seel your current plate for a Hundred & get $50-100 for your damaged one off fleabay and it's probably not a bad deal..........

Good luck to ya on which ever route you take...............

·
Registered
316 Posts
Happy Holidays Hulhorr. I only use my tour pak for road trips. So I'd go with the less expensive option. If you were to keep it on permanently, which I gathered you do from our meeting in Sturgis in 2012, I would decide on the best quality and go with that.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I was in your situation. Was heavily leaning to Matazu chopped tourpack but Leary on aftermarket and quality. I'm an aftermarket everything but unsure of tpacks. I took my time and found a king tourpack off a 93 electraglide in great shape and got it for $150. Has hinges, backrest, etc etc. I thought a smokin deal. Prepping and painting myself so will probably have 300 total into a HD king pack. Another 130 for detachable mount and I'm good. Very happy. Be patient and check the web.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
If I were to do it over again, I would buy a Swinebox as the only aftermarket tourpak.

I have stuck with OEM units so far for this bike and am satisfied. As Laxin said, keep an eye out on this and several bike related forums and you will be able to scoop one up for decent price if color match does not bother you. I just bought a pearl white tourpak for 550.00 up here in Canada, they're out there, you just have to hunt for them.

I sold a black cherry 05 FLHT to a friend with a mirage orange tourpak and black lower fairings on it, he road it that way up until this winter (having it all painted to match now). Never had a problem finding his bike in the crowd, it always stuck out.

The one you mentioned that is color matched looks like a good deal to me. Like someone else said previously you can always sell off the extras that you don't need to reduce the cost.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
26 Posts
recently received the Matusa brand chopped tout pack, top shelf, order Harley latches and hinges, but great box, well made.....

·
Registered
775 Posts
Awful lot of the ABS OE HD tour paks running around without much news of failures. My 08 Ultra had 30k on it with no issues and several of those were with a bag of the wife's clothes strapped on top. The RG has the pack on anytime the wife rides or I go on a trip with no issues. You know that muffler strapped on top of your pak is what broke it, right ;)

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
2014+ TP from PC pain. Right at 1k color matched. Already assembled, you just have to put on the backrest and mount. The tether is better than the old style one and so is the latching mechanism. I was never a TP guy but this one is never coming off. It looks too good

·
Registered
520 Posts
Used Matazu. I had total failure on first long trip. Bottom back completely broke, and had to use duck tape and bunjys for the remainder of trip. also bounced around/shook unlike OEM. don't waste your money. find OEM on ebay and paint. will be happier and cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I like the look of the chopped with no side markers, 13 and down, chopped backrest and luggage rack with black premium hinge kit

I wanted one from calvary, but they only do a king and razor

bought a 2010 chopped in DBN from here, it's ABS on the bottom and fiberglass on top, chopped backrest and no additional holes, I need to change the locks, etc.. and some deep scratches from shipping around the back, the washers trick had been employed, because the fiberglass and abs don't line up as well as the fiberglass parts, they got squared in the corners going to ABS

also bought a 2005 ultrapak off ebay, but haven't had enough prep time to go through it

someone mentioned bondo and acetone, and it's true

still at, fitment stages, but chopped, no holes, chopped backrest with luggage rack is the cleanest, to me

·
Registered
46 Posts
OEM chopped TUB only.

Harley-Davidson chopped (lower TUB only).
5.5 inches deep.
Turn your current pack into the chopped style. Harley no longer sells (just) this bottom portion alone.
OEM, cobalt blue color, comes with antenna, fitted liner, mounting support plate, lid tether , one key with a lock cylinder. ALL as pictured. Came of a 2006. In very nice condition.
$150 (you) pay the shipping cost.

PICTURES are here

http://appleton.craigslist.org/mpo/5027724003.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just hung a new HD one on mine, very expensive, hope I don't regret it

·
Registered
273 Posts
@WSL91 - looks very slick and I am plotting on doing the same thing pretty soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts