Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Road Glide Special, contemplating buying a chopped tour pack. I have heard that by adding a tour pack the handling of the bike will change ? any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Big difference from my RGU to my special. I knew that tour pack was there.

I use a kuryakyn bag on my RGS and don't feel it like I did the tour pack. I had to get a rental for a week and they gave me an RGU. Immediately hated the tour pack on it.

But if it's only going to be for trips and every now and then. I'd deal with it I guess.

Don't know if the chopped is as bad.

Reactions: NETOHD

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
It is a heavy touring bike, any way you look at it, it's not going to handle like a lightweight crotch rocket or a stretched out chopper.

I've ridden thousands of miles with and without a tourpak. The only difference I've ever felt is in strong quartering sidewind. The tourpak increases the contact surface area and acts a bit like a sail.

Had both chopped and king tourpaks, chopped is for looks only and it's functionality definitely suffers over a King. If you're going to get a tourpak that is detachable for the odd long distance trip, do yourself a favour and get the King tourpak, you'll be happy you did after the first trip.

Balance your load between saddlebags, keep heavier items as low as possible in the saddlebags and keep the lighweight stuff in the tourpak again with the heaviest items packed the lowest in the tourpak.

You'll notice the most difference in low speed handling and emergency stopping with the extra load.

I find the biggest difference in handling comes with adding a passenger vs putting the tourpak on or off.

Improve your skills and it will be a non-issue.

Calgaryglide

Reactions: ironmark and NETOHD

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
2017 Road Glide Special, contemplating buying a chopped tour pack. I have heard that by adding a tour pack the handling of the bike will change ? any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
I don't notice any real difference with the chopped tour-pak (tp) on or off the bike unless it is really loaded with the bag on the rack atop the chopped tp. Bottom line when loaded, you're adding weight up high where it can be more tippy (higher center of gravity). That said, look at all the other bikes with big trunks. Take your time to see if you notice any difference and get used to it if you go that route. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've currently got the king TP off my 81 on my 10. On the (much lighter) 81 the TP was quite noticeable and made the bike feel a good bit sluggish regardless of what I was doing.

On the 10, from low speed (residential street U-Turns), to brisk lane changes (traffic slalom), to upwards of 80MPH (highway stuff) the TP is completely ignore-able...I forget it's back there.

Above 90MPH the 10's ability to glide through the air was noticeably, adversely, affected. Granted it was a rather windy day, but traffic was running 90-95+ and keeping up with it took way more focus it normally should have.

So - for me... - the TP will be going back into the shed immediately after bike week is over. But in the interim they're extremely handy to have ... Especially when you riding with a group of people that likes to view your bagger like it's 'Moms Purse' ("Hay can I put this in there"..).

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Well i will agree with some of the other members here that i would go king, i just recently purchased a quick release tour pak and i went king for the extra space and comfort for my other half when she rides with me, also putting on footboards soon, since i wont be using it all the time no sense in getting the smaller version. Just my 2 cents on this and as for a change in handling, yeah its slight but more noticeable when i riding with a passenger. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I have an 09 that didn't come with a tour pack. I wound up just recently buying an aftermarket tour pack from mutazu. I only use it 2 maybe 3 times a season when my girlfriend and I are on a road trip otherwise it always off the bike. I will say that there is a slight different feel to the bike when its on but its nothing you wont get used to quickly. oh and the one I bought is a king tour pack

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I find that the tour pak is quite noticeable at slow speeds. The Rushmore chopped tour pac is surprisingly roomy. I like mine.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
several factors involved. if you are comparing tourpacks, the rushmore styled chopped has more room than the old style king. so while I may not notice mine (2013 chopped), you may notice it on yours. also, whether you have it installed in the two up or solo position. again, looking at mine, I have it mounted in the solo position. and if you load it with rain gear, etc. it won't be as noticeable as if you load it with lead bricks.

so there are a multitude of variables that will affect whether or not you will notice it and to what degree. but, hd sells bikes all day long with tourpacks installed from the factory, so it must not be too awful or people wouldn't buy them....

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can tell when the TP is on or off but love the bike either way

:grin: I had my King TP packed solid with cocaine for a long trip and the bike definitely felt top heavy!:grin:
Cocaine in the saddle bags, weed in the tour Pak....How many time you need to be told?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
yep, heavier stuff down low, lighter stuff higher....

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just get the King Tour Pak because you'll love the extra space when in road trips. When I first installed the king tour pak on my 08 the bike felt a little top heavy and I noticed that the tour pak caught more side wind and it pushed the bike around a little bit more. If you leave the tour pak on and ride with it all the time you'll get use to it and after a little time you won't even know you have it on the bike. JMO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts