Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about adding a chopped tour pack to my bike. I was wondering where everyone was getting theirs? I found several after market ones, some on ebay. Has anybody used any of hose or did everyone stay with the HD brand?? What would be better, the ABS plastic or fiberglass?
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hunted on eBay and found one local. I wasn't in a rush since its only on my bike during long road trips with the wife on the back. It took about 3 weeks to find the right color. Docking hardware ain't cheap! Good luck.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I bought an aftermarket king tour pack off of eBay as well as an aftermarket mounting rack recently. The plastic seems a little flimsy but I just did a 3k trip with it and with a bag strapped to the rack on top and it did just fine. I think the HD fiberglass ones are probably a little better, but a lot more expensive. Mine will only be used on long trips so I didn't want to spend a fortune.

The one thing to keep in mind with the aftermarket tour packs is most are molded to fit the 08 and older mounting racks. They still work with the newer mounting racks though. I went a little overboard welding some additional steel to my rack to more securely attach it, but just some added drilling will make it work.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I ordered the king TP when I bought my bike. Got a little off at the stealers but it was still expensive. There are some cool looking after market ones out there though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I found a color matched tour pack, detachable mount and latches on e bay all for under $600. I only had to buy a lock keyed like my ignition from HD. It just takes patience, lots of patience. I got outbid 4 times but finely got just what I wanted after 6 months.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've been looking at a tour paks and following the threads. Some I'm considering are the Swinebox and Power Products. For now I've gone with extended saddlebags so my budget's shot for the year. To many pro's and cons are argued by plastic lovers and fiberglass lovers. You can find plenty of aftermarket tour paks ready for paint but paint costs, even more if it's a special order. So factor that it to the costs when comparing the dealership to the aftermarket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the info. I looked at the Power produts pack and it looks good. I would have to see how much it would cost to get it to match my Roman Gold and Burnt Emarald paint.
Mark

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here's a picture of my bike without the tour pack and a rack on the back.

With the tour pack and no rack.

This is an after market one off E-bay. I used the docking hardware and mounts for everything.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Thanks everybody for the info. I looked at the Power produts pack and it looks good. I would have to see how much it would cost to get it to match my Roman Gold and Burnt Emarald paint.
Mark
i have an order in for the hd chopped tourpack in roman gold/burnt emerald. i can tell you that it is gonna run 1249.00 shipped :eek:

but i can tell you where you can find a decent deal on a denim black chopped tourpack in the near future... can even deliver it if you wanted to meet halfway :D

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,211 Posts
Yup, a lot of what makes sense depends on the color of your bike and what that paint would cost. I put the painted chopped pak from HD on my bike 2 years ago. It would have cost me $280. for the actual paint, plus whatever the painter had in prep and paint labor, on top of the cost of whatever TP I chose. It was no more expensive at $650-ish dollars (going from memory) then it would have been getting something of significantly less quality.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i have an order in for the hd chopped tourpack in roman gold/burnt emerald. i can tell you that it is gonna run 1249.00 shipped :eek:

but i can tell you where you can find a decent deal on a denim black chopped tourpack in the near future... can even deliver it if you wanted to meet halfway :D
I'd be interested in that, but I would have to figure out how to get it!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I'd be interested in that, but I would have to figure out how to get it!
thats easy, you ride up from houma, i'll ride down from anacoco, meet somewhere in the middle. somewhere around lafayette.... do a battle hand off, have lunch, maybe sip a beer, then head back.... :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
thats easy, you ride up from houma, i'll ride down from anacoco, meet somewhere in the middle. somewhere around lafayette.... do a battle hand off, have lunch, maybe sip a beer, then head back.... :D
Yeah, but I'm not Rig! I live a little further than he does!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts