Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the tour pak detach kit to the ultra the other day. One question, how do you folks put the tour pak back on without risk to the paint or chrome? It's not that heavy but bulky and I'm afraid of not being able to see the attach points and scratching the fender by mistake. First time, had the wife help guide me and I wasn't sure if there was a better/safer way.
Thanks much,
Irish

·
Registered
116 Posts
I grab mine by the back bolt with my right hand and the backrest with my left tilting the tour pack so the bottom is visible and then i guide the docking points into the dock. It dock well before anything else touches the bike. I always load it empty so there is no unexpected weight shift. With practice it becomes second nature. Although the dealer scratched it removing my pack the last time they worked on it. Waiting on new paint or fender from them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I make sure the TP is empty, hold the TP by the bottom front corners with the bottom back edge of the TP against my chest and I drop to one knee and look around the TP to the edges and slide it right onto the supports, works everytime and no scratches to date.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I hold mine by the luggage rack with one hand and center of the detach rack with the other. Look under it and slide the front legs on first. Pivot the rear down and lock it. And make sure its empty first.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I make sure the TP is empty, hold the TP by the bottom front corners with the bottom back edge of the TP against my chest and I drop to one knee and look around the TP to the edges and slide it right onto the supports, works everytime and no scratches to date.[/QU

My technique as well. I have only owned my RGC for a couple months now, the right saddlebag has some paint repair where the previous owner had a tourpak boo boo.:(

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hold straight up under front corners...lower on to pillion...rotate on to locking points...loaded or not

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hold ur breath! On my 04 I've scratched my strut covers more times than is like to remember

·
Registered
4 Posts
Removable TP

Putting a heavy towel over the fender and the struts is a must. Then pick up the TP (watch belt buckles, jean snaps, jacket zippers, etc). Duck walk/waddle over to the rear fender, lower very gently, and HAVE SOMEONE act as a spotter before lowering the TP onto the brackets.

BTW - I have a scratched rear fender for a 2010 RG Custom, or 2009 Street Glide for sale!:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts