Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i need some help. I am ordering a king tour pak for my new 15 RGS. I realized with the new redesign of the tour pak rear seat pads you pretty much need to have the speaker pods as well or it just doesnt work right. So i will be buying those over priced speaker pods and a set of speakers. Do i have to run an amp with these or can they just be hooked up to the stock HU? Yes i am sure they will be underpowered if they are but hey thats always an upgrade down the line right. Any help would be greatly appreciated I just upgraded from a 05 Springer soo not used to having a radio on the bike period. I beleive i will need the radio flashed so the speakers will work. which btw seems so crazy to me does the radio have to be flashed by the dealer or can you do this yourself?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Unless you absolutely positively have to have the tour pak speakers now, you may be better off waiting a little. The radio flashes seem to be wreaking havoc, and no one has a solid answer for it yet. I'm sure it will get taken care of, but it could be mighty frustrating until it does. Just adding 2 speakers may not be an issue, but you never know with the moco.

You are very correct in that driving the rears off the HU will be very underpowered (read that as you'll probably be disappointed a month down the road). I have a 14 tour pak on my 13 RG and am waiting for BT to come up with pods that will allow the 7.1s in the back. The biggest thing that fits in the stock or aftermarket pods that I'm currently aware of is 6.5 speakers. BT says their new pods will be available over the next couple/few months.

I did my stereo upgrades in steps and smack myself for it every time I think about it. Just about anything will sound better than stock, but without a decent amp driving them, everything will seem kind of blah after awhile. Big difference in the garage, but you'll quickly realize it's not a huge improvement going down the road and want more. I started out upgrading from the stock speakers, then added an amp later, and finally bit the bullet and bought a full system. Would have saved some $$$ if I just bought the full top of the line system first. Do your homework, there are some very overpriced and underperforming systems out there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK i need some help. I am ordering a king tour pak for my new 15 RGS. I realized with the new redesign of the tour pak rear seat pads you pretty much need to have the speaker pods as well or it just doesnt work right. So i will be buying those over priced speaker pods and a set of speakers. Do i have to run an amp with these or can they just be hooked up to the stock HU? Yes i am sure they will be underpowered if they are but hey thats always an upgrade down the line right. Any help would be greatly appreciated I just upgraded from a 05 Springer soo not used to having a radio on the bike period. I beleive i will need the radio flashed so the speakers will work. which btw seems so crazy to me does the radio have to be flashed by the dealer or can you do this yourself?
The answer to your question on the flash from the dealer is yes you do need to have them flash the head unit. This will allow it to reconize the extras speakers. The head unit from the factory is only set up for the fairing speakers when you take delivery. You do not need an amp to add 2 extra speakers but I would recommend that you do. Any extra speakers beyond the two additional will require an amp.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the repiles i appreciate the help. Ordered the tour pak today so they said it will be most likely 4 weeks to get it. I ordered the rear speaker pods as well. I am leaning either towards the infiinty speakers that everyone says are pretty damn good for the money or a set of the Polk audio. I run Polk speakers for my home theater at home and love them. I am sure an amp is in the not so distant future as well. i figure with the rear speakers and upgrading the fronts then throw in a 4 channel amp to drive everything and i should be happy.

Do the larger 6 inch speakers fit in or do i need some sort of adapter for them? i know for the fairing i will need soemthing to make the larger ones fit if i am not mistaken. This is my first Harley with a radio so its all new to me on the bike. Thanks for the help it is apprecaited

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just ordered the ones from Harley. The dealer was giving me 15% off anything i ordered with the new bike purchase. I signed all the paperwork Saturday and put in my parts order. Since the 14 tour pak pads look very strange with out the pods i figured i might as well bite the bullet and just order it all so by the time i get evertying i have it to put on. I still need to order the speakers for it. The boom speakers seemed very overpriced to me and i was not to happy with the reviews they seem to be getting on the forums.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Q, looked into these. Was gonna make them work for my 13 King TP since they hold 6.5 speakers. Was around $200 for the pair. I'm sure PCPain could get them to ta at a better price hopefully.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have yet to order any speakers i am leaning towards some Polks since well i like the Polk speakers in my home theater. But i am also strongly considering some Hog tunes or something since they are literally plug and play. Wiring things is not one of my strong points. I have to make a decision this week since my T/P is finally in!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts