Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at replacing the stock audio system with the bt 4180 and 4 speakers. Question is, I have the tourpak setup for quick disconnect for when my wife isn't with me. Do the speakers retain the stock harness with the disconnect built in? Will the 4 channel amp get confused of the rear gets disconnected and there are now only 2 speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have that kit with the 7.1" speakers. Because of the size of the new speakers it came with new pods. My pods are a sealed unit with pig tails out of them. So anyways, the way mine worked was they give you a new harness that runs out of the amp to the rear speakers with new plugs on them. Then you can plug the pods into that harness. So yes it will still be fairly quick detach. Your amp will still work without the rear speakers hooked up, but I've always been told that only running half the amp like that isn't good and you can ruin the amp.

All in all, I'd say if you're still not sure or just for good measure call Biketronics and talk to them, I think his name is Bill? Either way the guy is great and will help you get it set up for exactly what you need. Don't forget they offer a forum discount and they had a forum package deal going at one time. Also, food for thought, I couldn't get that amp to fit in the fairing very well. When I finally got it in there and back together you could see where the outer fairing bulged from the amp. Now they sell an amp mount for the Road Glides, GET IT. I got one, I haven't put it in though because I'm waiting for everything to come back from paint but it looks like it should work pretty good. Good choice going with them!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Looking at replacing the stock audio system with the bt 4180 and 4 speakers. Question is, I have the tourpak setup for quick disconnect for when my wife isn't with me. Do the speakers retain the stock harness with the disconnect built in? Will the 4 channel amp get confused of the rear gets disconnected and there are now only 2 speakers?
What year bike? No ill effects at all only running 2 speakers off that amp. The amp senses load, if the speakers aren't hooked up that channel of the amp just sits there. When you hook them back up it sends power.

I have a 16 FLTRXS and bought the tourpak and HD pods. The pods come with wiring quick disconnects, so if your bike has the same basic set up you should be fine. I cut the front connector off to insert the bare wire into the rear speaker spots on the amp and left everything else stock. The speaker end of the disconnect comes off with the tour pak and the end coming from the amp gets coiled up under the seat. Plug it back in when I put the pak on and good to go.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Give biketronics a call. Very easy if it was a pre-rushmore bike. Since you'll have 2 line levelers, I think there's a harness that will keep everything stock for you, no cutting needed like I did, even though it was simple and minimal. Can also ask on the other forum, lots of ultra guys over there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 13 RGU with detachable tour pak. I redid all of my audio, and was able to keep all of the detachable wiring that allows me to take the pack on and off at will

1 - 6 of 6 Posts