Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pondered making one post about my planned mods for the next 10 months. I recently purchased a new 2019 RoadGlide special and I can definitely say the stock bars don't feel right to me. I'm 6' and have a 74" reach (I loved boxing!) and I'm looking for comfortable bars for a long punishing coast to coast ride planned for next year. I'm seeking advice from those with long touring experience to help me select proper bars for my adventure next year. I considered putting all my planned mod ideas in one post, but I think this advice will come handy for others scouring the forum if it's broken up.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I do long distance riding and for me. The Factory 47 Signature bars were perfect. I'm 5' 10" ran the 12" bars. They were perfect with the low profile solo seat which basically put the bars at 14". I'm in the process of installing the 14" on my Trike.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had went with KST Customs straightjackets (12”) but the hands were top wide so I went with Khrome Werks Road Glide Touring bars which are the same height as stock but do away with the wood wagon feel of the hand position that the stock bar had. Still have the KST Customs (gloss black) that were only on for a month just hanging around.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Question. Are you gripping the bars or resting your hands on the bars? I rest my hands on the bars and the angle of the stock bars are comfortable because they support my hands at an angle so they support my wrists as well. I usually rest two or three fingers on the brake and clutch levers as well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Good advice here, and something I learned from the multitude of bars threads on forums - get the bars that suit your body and riding style the best. I have short legs and a long torso/arms, but narrow shoulders. Having friends and an Indie helping me take measurements as to what would fit me the best, I had bars custom made to my measurements. You do the measurements by sitting on the bike how you would ride - having it upright in a chock is important, and then extend your arms/hands as to where you feel they would be comfortable at 'rest'. I went from 13.5" mini apes that were 39" wide to 16" apes that are 33" wide with 8" pullback. That is what fit me perfect and I can ride all day without any numbness or sore shoulders/hands/forearms.

I am planning a Saddlesore ride later this month, I'm looking forward to it now with the proper bars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a lot of great advice here. I'm going to do some measurements when I get back home next week and who knows, maybe talk to Road-dawgs1 about his bars!

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,932 Posts
It seems like many of the long distance touring folks (especially those riding BMWs and Gold Wings) use the adjustable bars available from a small Maine company called Heli Bars. I've never sat behind a pair but the "Iron Butt" crowd love these things. $$$ - a bit pricey but worth it if you're truly comfortable for long distances.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
112 Posts
It seems like many of the long distance touring folks (especially those riding BMWs and Gold Wings) use the adjustable bars available from a small Maine company called Heli Bars. I've never sat behind a pair but the "Iron Butt" crowd love these things. $$$ - a bit pricey but worth it if you're truly comfortable for long distances.
My wife and I both have had heli bars on our road glides for years. Nothing is better.
They are fully adjustable. Easy to set them in the perfect position

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks for that info and yes, a little pricey for sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just got back from my 9900 mile, 27 day Alaska trip. I used KST Vanguard style Spearhead 16" The beauty of these is the adjustment for the wrist angle that is at the bottom, so you dont see any funny adjusting thing at the top. I had tried 14" KST Straight Jackets first, the height was good, but the wrist angle was too flat for me. (I have those with 500 miles on them if anyone is interested). I special ordered 16" Spearheads which based on the shape put my hands at about the same height as the more tradition shaped 14" Straight Jackets. I like to just lean back against my backrest, and hang my hands on the grips. It worked for me 7 to 9 hours a day, 27 days in a row.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just got back from my 9900 mile, 27 day Alaska trip. I used KST Vanguard style Spearhead 16" The beauty of these is the adjustment for the wrist angle that is at the bottom, so you dont see any funny adjusting thing at the top. I had tried 14" KST Straight Jackets first, the height was good, but the wrist angle was too flat for me. (I have those with 500 miles on them if anyone is interested). I special ordered 16" Spearheads which based on the shape put my hands at about the same height as the more tradition shaped 14" Straight Jackets. I like to just lean back against my backrest, and hang my hands on the grips. It worked for me 7 to 9 hours a day, 27 days in a row.
I’m a plus one on the KST Vanguard Spearheads. Lots of adjustments and super easy install.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm not nearly cool enough for pointy bars, but damn those 14" Pioneers look like they'd work for me. Thanks to back surgery and getting old, I've noticed issues with my fingers going numb while riding. This could do the trick. On top of that, I've been jonesing for heated grips, and a bar swap would be the perfect time for that.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm not nearly cool enough for pointy bars, but damn those 14" Pioneers look like they'd work for me. Thanks to back surgery and getting old, I've noticed issues with my fingers going numb while riding. This could do the trick. On top of that, I've been jonesing for heated grips, and a bar swap would be the perfect time for that.
Long time no see in here. I'm running the 14" version of that same bar.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
767 Posts
Dang..... 05Train back on-line. Good to see back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 5'11" and installed black Factory 47 12" bars on my 2019 RGS. I was torn between 12" & 14", but went with 12's since I had Hill Country Custom 13" on a Street Glide years ago. They just feel so good, and F47's stuff is TOP NOTCH both in looks and craftsmanship. I take at least 2 trips a year of 3,000+ miles each, with Houston-Key West coming up in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I started out with a 10" bar and instantly knew I should have gone up. I tried to order a set of 12's from Joe at Vindikta talked me into getting 14's. Im 5'6" so I was really skeptical. Joe said he would swap them out and cover the shipping if I didn't like them. Man am I glad I listened. They are perfect. Joe and many many others have said if you think you need a certain size add 2 inches (thats what she said!). To the thread starter I promise if you follow this simple rule you will be fine. I guarantee it...

On a side note. I broke my neck in 91 in a car accident and now I have arthritis in my lower back. The 14's have been a game changer for me. Did a round trip to Deadwood and an Iron Butt coming back. Total 4k miles. There's no doubt a good comfortable seat and bars are all you need to put the miles on and do it comfortably.. Good luck in your decision and keep us posted...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts