Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my RoadGlide in Anticipation for a Coast to Coast Nationwide Road Trip planned for next year. This will give me time to pick up the necessary mods to improve my comfort for the ride and the stock seat will definitely have to go. I've bounced through the threads here, but I'd like to know if anyone with extreme long ride experience could chime in and make suggestions.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I bought my RoadGlide in Anticipation for a Coast to Coast Nationwide Road Trip planned for next year. This will give me time to pick up the necessary mods to improve my comfort for the ride and the stock seat will definitely have to go. I've bounced through the threads here, but I'd like to know if anyone with extreme long ride experience could chime in and make suggestions.
Here is the deal about seats. Everyone is built different and finds different seats to their liking. For every seat that is recommended there will be those who found that seat unbearable.

If you have a good local Harley dealer, they should have demo seats available for you to try. This will at least give you an idea of different seating available and whether you like cushy or firm seats better.

Make sure you go for a long enough ride to get the feel for the seat. I would do a 60 mile to a lunch spot and then return.

The worst seat for me was the Harley Hammock seat, but you will hear from many who loved it. I think it depends on your weight and body shape.

I really like the Low Tour Solo seat and use that most of the time on the bike, but it does require your legs to be flexible. What I like about it is that I can put my sheepskin pelt and/or my airhawk cushion on it to change up the pressure points.

I also have a Corbin Heated Dual Tour with backrest that I put on in the winter. It requires me to have a taller windshield and totally changes the riding position. It is a firm seat and Corbin recommends 1000 miles to break it in. :surprise:

The stock Road Glide Ultra seat was way too soft for me so after the first 50 miles I felt like I had sunk down to the pan and it pushed me too far forward.

For me the main think on a long ride is the ability to change positions so you change the pressure points on your rear. I added extended length floorboards to allow me to move my feet around and went with highway boards instead of pegs for more movement.

For High Speed riding many prefer having the hard lowers installed to keep the wind from beating on your legs. I remove mine in the summer and put them back on for the winter.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The worst seat for me was the Harley Hammock seat, but you will hear from many who loved it. I think it depends on your weight and body shape.

I really like the Low Tour Solo seat and use that most of the time on the bike, but it does require your legs to be flexible. What I like about it is that I can put my sheepskin pelt and/or my airhawk cushion on it to change up the pressure points.
And I am a Hammock fan. Loved mine but... found i prefer the low profile solo seat. With the addition of the airhawk r on long rides. Every year i do 8 or 9 days of riding and camping. There are a few things other than the seat and handlebars to make the ride a success. Biggest one is stopping every 100 miles to get a drink, walk around or have a snack. Bust each others balls. What ever. But unless it's a time crunch. That 100 mile pitstop is key to an enjoyable day in the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Forgive me for being a new guy if this constitutes “highjacking a thread” but I keep seeing the ad for Ultimate Seats yet very little in the way of reviews. Is anyone using one of their new seats? The two tone black brown looks really nice. Was thinking if I got the solo saddle with passenger pillion I would have more adaptability on my 19 RGU when the tour pack is off. Has anyone tried this and does the lower height saddle they offer for the Road Glide Special look ok on an Ultra with the tour pack on?

https://ultimateseats.ca/harley-davidson-accessories/road-glide-seats/road-glide-2-piece-seats-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here is the deal about seats. Everyone is built different and finds different seats to their liking. For every seat that is recommended there will be those who found that seat unbearable.

If you have a good local Harley dealer, they should have demo seats available for you to try. This will at least give you an idea of different seating available and whether you like cushy or firm seats better.

Make sure you go for a long enough ride to get the feel for the seat. I would do a 60 mile to a lunch spot and then return.

I also have a Corbin Heated Dual Tour with backrest that I put on in the winter. It requires me to have a taller windshield and totally changes the riding position. It is a firm seat and Corbin recommends 1000 miles to break it in. :surprise:

The stock Road Glide Ultra seat was way too soft for me so after the first 50 miles I felt like I had sunk down to the pan and it pushed me too far forward.

For me the main think on a long ride is the ability to change positions so you change the pressure points on your rear. I added extended length floorboards to allow me to move my feet around and went with highway boards instead of pegs for more movement.

For High Speed riding many prefer having the hard lowers installed to keep the wind from beating on your legs. I remove mine in the summer and put them back on for the winter.
Yes to all of the above. And if you have back problems, the seat for your ass probably is not the seat for your back. Lot of $$ to spend to see if something works. Good luck! My Zeppelin with backrest works good. Without backrest no seat on earth would work for me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When shopping, buy for yourself AND your passenger.

Recommend you stop in at a dealership who has a large selection of demo seats available so that you can try a few out. Also attend a large rally where Mustang, Corbin, and others have a booth. Both venues should allow you to demo the seat on your bike.

After trying four H-D seats (stock, Hammock, CVO, and Air Zeppelin), I went with a totally custom seat from Russell Day Long. It was very pricey, but I have used it on three bikes since 2011. If you go this route, I strongly recommend their ride-in program where they do all the measurements, build a mock-up seat, allow you to test/modify, then complete the seat that day.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

definitely X2 on the try one at the dealer.

i have found the tall boy seat best for my touring needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, has anyone on here dealt with mean city cycles in North Carolina? They take your stock Harley seat and add memory foam and gel to your liking than rewrap the seat. Read a little about them and like what I hear. Before I pull the trigger just curious if anyone dealt with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Forgive me for being a new guy if this constitutes “highjacking a thread” but I keep seeing the ad for Ultimate Seats yet very little in the way of reviews. Is anyone using one of their new seats? The two tone black brown looks really nice. Was thinking if I got the solo saddle with passenger pillion I would have more adaptability on my 19 RGU when the tour pack is off. Has anyone tried this and does the lower height saddle they offer for the Road Glide Special look ok on an Ultra with the tour pack on?

https://ultimateseats.ca/harley-davidson-accessories/road-glide-seats/road-glide-2-piece-seats-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019
I have the Ultimate two up touring seat on my 2019 RGS. This is my second Ultimate seat. The first being on a metric VTX1800 back in 2009 and now this one. I went with the two up because quite frankly I'm pretty comfortable on the stock (that's a first) and I only use it on long trips and when my wife comes with me, which is often.

I'm fairly comfortable as far as seats go but my wife is super comfortable and that's all that matters to me since I can put up with the long ride by moving the position of my legs but she can't as much.

The big plus about them is they will take the seat 100% money back if you don't like within 14 days. So get a ride in and a long one at that to test it.

My longest day on it has been about 670 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. We just got our first snow of the season here in Montana so I guess I have more time to research seats...sigh.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hey, has anyone on here dealt with mean city cycles in North Carolina? They take your stock Harley seat and add memory foam and gel to your liking than rewrap the seat. Read a little about them and like what I hear. Before I pull the trigger just curious if anyone dealt with them.

They did my seat and am pleased with the results!

·
Registered
6,770 Posts

I used them in 09 on a HD Sundowner seat and am still using it today for long trips. I have a solo seat for 200<.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When shopping, buy for yourself AND your passenger.
After trying four H-D seats (stock, Hammock, CVO, and Air Zeppelin), I went with a totally custom seat from Russell Day Long. It was very pricey, but I have used it on three bikes since 2011. If you go this route, I strongly recommend their ride-in program where they do all the measurements, build a mock-up seat, allow you to test/modify, then complete the seat that day.

Good luck.
A little late to the party, but major +1 on the Russell. I bought mine 4 years ago just for long runs, and it hasn't come off the bike since the day I got it. I've tried multiple HD seats, also Corbin and LePera...nothing comes close. I've heard the majority of Iron Butt riders run Russell Day Longs. No doubt in my mind. Longest day was 650+ in 13 hours. Could've gone longer but it was 10pm and 30 degrees. Best there is IMO for distance.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’ll offer advice in the way of direction: Find a seat first and then build your bike around that.
Different seats have different heights and seating positions. A windshield that works fine might not if your seat becomes two inches taller. Handlebars that were comfortable might not be anymore if your new seat moves you forward/back.
Another thing worth considering in a seat is if a drivers backrest can be added to it. Backrest aren’t just for geezers.
Good luck on your journey

·
Registered
604 Posts
I ride a heated hammock-best seat I have ever used-also use a backrest-a couple of us did an ironbutt 1000 on laborday weekend-1000 miles in 24 hours,it took us 19 hours- total ride was 1135 miles-the seat was perfect- it is like a madstat-when it works why mess with perfection-headrope has a good point on where to start-my ride came with the hammock-I let a friend try it-he rode 2 miles and said no likey-but then he complains about wind in his face and turbulence

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have been happy with my ultra seat for over 75k miles but it’s worn out now. I got a Sargent touring seat at SW in Deadwood, very comfortable but it changed my and wife’s position making the bike and wind uncomfortable.

Just received my stock seat back from Astech Seat having gell inserts, new foam and recover done to our hight and weight without changing my seating position. Can’t wait for the snow to melt to get some time in to give it a fair review.

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

·
Registered
37 Posts

I used them a couple of times for Electra Glide seats, well pleased with the end results. I'm considering using them again after I get some miles on the Glide seat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Got 7k miles so far on my seat from Mean City Cycles, serious upgrade over stock.

Last one was a C&C which was also very nice but took awhile to break in and still wasnt this comfortable.

Had it narrowed and double decker mod done at MCC.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like my One-Piece Summit Super Touring seat along with the matching backrest. I put it on shortly after I got the bike and have 50k miles on it. It is nice and wide - like me - with a large seat pan. I'm 6' 200lbs and it fits me perfectly. I did an Iron Butt (1k miles in 24 hrs) and was not sore that day or the next.

I also tried the Harley Tall Boy. If my memory serves me correctly, it had a narrower seat pan, and put you back, but not that much higher. One of the problems that I had with the stock seat was that it put me in an awkward seating position with my knees above my hips.

BTW - the Mustang looks and feels like brand new. Mustang builds a quality product. Check our their YouTube videos.

I just got a cop seat. I like how the bike handles better with the cop seat, but for long trips I think I'll put the mustang back on her.

Good luck
Emil

1 - 20 of 27 Posts