Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide if I should spend the money on a TourPak or just get a luggage rack ? I know you can get some good aftermarket tourpaks for a decent price. What is everyone's 2 cents on this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also interested in a tour pack. If you buy an aftermarket one and have it painted you'll be close to the same cost as HD piece. The price I pay for a Mysterious Sun Glow Red bike. :grin:

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was in the same boat last year. Ended up going with a tour pak and absolutely LOVE it. I barely open my bags at all anymore for anything. I bout an HD pak for the 14-15 bikes. It will work on the 09-13 bikes also. One single latch instead of two.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
967 Posts
Another one for the tour pack lots of room for extras. Easy take off. Very few times have taken mine off, may be two or three local rides.
Also easy to add speakers improving sound system. I used the HOG pods just like the OE without controls and lot cheaper.

Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Tourpak. However at first I didn't have all the money to cough up at once. So what I did was purchase the bracket mount that the tourpak goes on and used that temporarily as a luggage bag rack. Once I was ready, basically accumulating enough chrome cash I purchased the tourpak and only paid about half of actual cost and while that was on order I had the mount powdercoated black.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in the same boat and decided to go with the luggage rack. For me a tour pack changes the look of the whole bike for me. I know they are quick disconnect but for now I'll stick with the luggage rack

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Going to purchase a tour pack for my lady this spring.
She wanted the comfort & the tunes.
Removable for sure.
Swomack

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
TouPak, put one on with the docking hardware and it's a 10 second removal. The misses loves the extra comfort on the long rides. Just need to add speakers to it now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have both but I like the convenience of the tour pack. I have the Harley chopped detachable and I think it makes the bike look longer and lower with that long rear fender.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I vote for the tour pak too. When I got my new 16 Black Quartz RGS, bit the bullet and bought the matching tour pak. I bought all the detachable hardware off eBay to save a bit.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Really, really thought about this, and then went with the luggage rack. (And adustable sissy bar and pad.)

There were two key reasons, in addition to cost, that made me decide against the tour pack: I don't want that extra weight up high above the bike's center of gravity, so I would only have it on when I needed it, which means that the $1,500++ would be sitting on a shelf in my garage under a towel for 350 days a year.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Ginee13,

I'd vote in favor of a tour-pak.
Considerations;
If the decision is centered around cost, don't forget to factor in the cost of luggage to go on that luggage rack. Yeah, still less than the cost of a tour-pak (unless you come across a used one).
A tour-pak locks & can't be removed by thieves... at least not as easily as luggage on a rack.
A tour-pak offers better weather protection to its contents than luggage on a rack.
How often will you require additional storage capacity?
From my experience you can discount the notion of added weight above the center of gravity - never even notice it in the twisties. These sleds aren't Ducati Monsters or 'Busas.

Years ago I considered adding a quick-detach tour-pak to my Road King. I waffled on the decision & went with a fender rack & luggage. It served me well & I didn't regret the decision. From the next scoot on I had a tour-pak. Man, did I get used to having that lockable storage space. I keep stuff like tools, rain gear, gloves, jacket, compressor, jumper cables, cover, etc in the saddlebags & hardly ever get into them. That leaves the tour-pak for everyday needs. Very convenient to be able to lock shit up. Also convenient not to have to think ahead to where the day may take me as to what to bring. It also houses a gun safe should I have to go someplace I can't take a sidearm legally.

That's my 2¢

·
Registered
169 Posts
even though there are a few decent looking aftermarket ones out there I think you would be happiest with a factory one, I see ones on Craigslist and swapmeets all the time.

I agree the new style ones are nice, probably be full price though but if you end up taking it on to your next bike thats a plus.

the original question was rack or tourpak? definitely get a tourpak, when you do need it you will love it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
There are no good aftermarket tour packs on cheap ones.
If you are going to do it do it right. If you think you want a tour pack make sure before you spend the cash on a rack of you will just end up spending twice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Once you go "Pak", you'll never go back. :)

Reactions: smitty901

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not even close, tour pak all the way. I have tour pak and luggage rack, can't remember last time the luggage rack was on. You can save on aftermarket ones, but IMO they just don't look as good. I have 14+ tourpak on 13 bike and love it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I chose a luggage rack because it is cheeaper and it is extremely easy to store between long road trips. I even remove the four point mounts between rides because I don't like extra hardware on the bike! I only need the extra storage space on multiple day rides when I take my camping gear. For me it didn't make sense to invest the money in the tour pack, instead I am looking at a set of lower fairings for cold weather riding comfort.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts