Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to save time headed to Sturgis this year I've been thinking about loading up in my toy hauler. We can rotate drivers and be there in a whole lot less time. Problem is fitting 3 dressers. My garage is 12'4". Think I could fit one horizontal and the other 2 the right way? I could turn it with my floor jack once inside. Thoughts and pictures. Thanks.

I know it's about the ride but we want the ride to be out west.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
849 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what are they going to charge you to park out there? I can't imagine it's as much as the roach motel in Rapid City I am going to be staying at. They are charging 350 a night and require it paid in advance. Seems the gouging is in full force for this one.

Anyway, someday, I will have a toy hauler ie my own rolling hotel room to stay where ever I want.

Have fun and see ya out there!

E :cool:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Try the Holy Smoke resort in Keystone, SD (http://www.holysmokeresort.com). I rented a cabin that sleeps 6 with two br, kitchen and bath for $200.00 per night the week prior to the rally. It's less than 5 miles to Rushmore and the world famous Iron Mountain road (16A). Ask for Dani, she's the owner.

·
Administrator
1,954 Posts
In an effort to save time headed to Sturgis this year I've been thinking about loading up in my toy hauler. We can rotate drivers and be there in a whole lot less time. Problem is fitting 3 dressers. My garage is 12'4". Think I could fit one horizontal and the other 2 the right way? I could turn it with my floor jack once inside. Thoughts and pictures. Thanks.

I know it's about the ride but we want the ride to be out west.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If your time is short then hauling the bikes is the only way to go. There are lots of campgrounds. Having a toyhauler is a great idea.

In your toy hauler you will have to make sure that the cross ways loaded bike is over a floor beam. I would also recommend using another layer of plywood to spread the load when rotating that bike with your floor jack. The last thing you want to find, when rotating the bike, is the weak spot in the garage floor. If you can't put the bike overtop of a floor beam or joist, use smaller pieces of 3/4' plywood under the tires to help spread the load of the bike in that area.

It will also need to be secured very well, especially for emergency stops. The tendency for the bike to fall to either side from momentum change is much greater than when the bikes are loaded in the direction of travel. The suspension system won't be able to compensate for hard stops or starts on the cross way loaded bike. I would strap the bike to the floor thru the middle of the bike but in the direction of travel for the trailer. These should be good sized straps capable of withholding 5x the weight of the bike. The floor anchors should also be very robust.

If you have detachable mounted tourpak(s), take them off the bike(s) and store them low in the trailer. I have seen the results of two bikes "coming together" in the back of a toyhauler, two smashed tourpaks, not a pretty sight.

Safe travels, have fun and when you get there, ride early in the day to see things, people watch in the afternoon in Sturgis. Deals for almost anything are better later in the week, especially dated stuff like T-shirts, Hats etc.

The only deals on mods were usually on the labor, price of wheels, exhaust, windshields etc was the same as online or slightly higher, remember those prime booth locations in Sturgis, and at the dealer in Rapid City cost the vendors money, staff and freight to get there.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
They are charging 350 a night and require it paid in advance. Seems the gouging is in full force for this one.

Oh hell no!!
A tent's not the optimum way to travel, but 2 of us can stay at the campground we use for $300 for 8 days. Clean showers, clean shitters, that's all I need. Done it more than once.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haul in my toyhauler from Salt Lake. Riding thru wyoming is 700 miles of suck and it's windy all directions. I've ridden up there and tented it before too. Having a nice bed to sleep in every night is sweet, we ride a lot once we get up there.

We stay at Glencoe and its a great campground if you can handle non stop party and naked people of all sorts. Lots of shade and camping on pasture grass for the most part. $275 right now for the whole time. Price goes up as date nears. Don't waste money on the RV spots with hookups at Glencoe. No shade and camping with people that have more money than sense. Lots of water spigots and outhouses in the general camping area and paved road.

Tits on parade every night too.

Across the street from the Full Throttle too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Shade Valley Campground a couple miles outside Sturgis. Onsite bar, breakfast, showers and you can sleep or party as you see fit.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Don't forget to try taking off the saddle bags to make more room.

Also with saddle bags off an arrow head configuration might be the way to go. First 2 bikes in a Vee (nose to nose) with third bike pulled straight up the middle between them...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I saw one time a toy hauler with a modified rear bumper to add a hitch. All variables aside and I'm assumming it was modified securely they had a small low boy trailer with two other bikes. Maybe they already had 2 bikes inside and needed to pull two more. seemed like a very feasible option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts