Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I swapped out my front wheel and tire with new, I also removed and replaced the front shocks.

I have replaced everything according to the service manual, torqued and measured. But...

If I put both hands up on the road, the bike leans to the left and very slowly tracks left.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
593 Posts
tracking

front and rear wheels aren't in line. which one ????

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
I only removed the front. I replaced it with a road glide special wheel. And everything went back in the same way it came off.
You may of binded the forks when you reinstalled them.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I haven't worked on the Road Glide yet, but on previous bikes you have to tighten everything in a specific order and put a block in front of the tire and pump the suspension a few times without applying the brakes before making the final torque on certain fasteners to allow everything to align.

Also, make sure you don't have the bike loaded unevenly. just 20 lbs in one saddlebag can make the bike pull. Also, not sitting squarely on the bike can cause it to pull one way. Good luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If your rear shocks are independently adjustable, both not being adjusted the same could cause it. Possible fork seal leak, on one fork. Either case would cause a different compression on the shocks causing a weight unbalance. Similar to uneven loads in the saddle bags.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Mine tracks differently all the time - I assume because of loading the bags differently. Don't forget the crown of the road can pull you also, though I'd expect that to pull right. If it's a big change you might have something torqued/aligned wrong.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
My 08 SG did this from day 1. Even after I had the front end chromed and lowered.

·
Registered
523 Posts
In my view it could be one of the fork legs not completely vertically aligned with the other, even 1 or 2 millimeter of difference might cause the problem.
On tourers the rear tire is always aligned thanks to the registration cam, while front and rear are factory aligned and you do not to mess with it unless you have a bad crash.
Another possibility is that the new front tire was badly stored (horizontally instead of vertically with a pile of tires over it) and that might have cause a profile permanent distorsion

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Like installed crooked?
Like twowheeladdict said , there's a sequence involved when reinstalling the front forks back in the Triple trees. Also torque's are very important on the front end.
What did you upgrade your forks with ? Did you get all the internal parts installed correctly?

Reactions: RGKen
1 - 11 of 11 Posts