Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked one of these up from Cycle Gear the other day. It seems very well built. But I can't get my 2018 Road Glide to roll into it. I got a 3' foot running start at it (just pushing it - no engine power) - the motorcycle just hits the dang thing and won't go in. I have the mounting screw in the widest position, but this wouldn't make a difference in how the motorcycle rolls into wheel chock. I see videos on the Internet of other bikes being easily rolled into this same wheel chock.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
188 Posts
I picked one of these up from Cycle Gear the other day. It seems very well built. But I can't get my 2018 Road Glide to roll into it. I got a 3' foot running start at it (just pushing it - no engine power) - the motorcycle just hits the dang thing and won't go in. I have the mounting screw in the widest position, but this wouldn't make a difference in how the motorcycle rolls into wheel chock. I see videos on the Internet of other bikes being easily rolled into this same wheel chock.

Any ideas??

A picture of the mount?

I use a Condor and just run the bike in under power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Could the chock be backwards not allowing it to rock forward

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A picture of the mount?
Here's a couple of pics. The only way I could get the wheel into the wheel chock was to use my jack to raise the bike, and then slide the wheel chock under the (raised) front wheel. Yuck....

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've poked around on the Internet, and apparently lots of people have the same issue with the Trackside wheel chock. It's difficult to get a touring bike into it, and even more difficult to get it out.

I think I'm going to return this unit, and get a WheelDock chock. No "teeter-totter" to deal with - you just roll the bike the bike into it.

https://wheeldock.com/products/wheeldock?variant=26294025411

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've poked around on the Internet, and apparently lots of people have the same issue with the Trackside wheel chock. It's difficult to get a touring bike into it, and even more difficult to get it out.

I think I'm going to return this unit, and get a WheelDock chock. No "teeter-totter" to deal with - you just roll the bike the bike into it.

https://wheeldock.com/products/wheeldock?variant=26294025411
I have the wheeldock chock and it works great! No need to have a certain amount of force to get it to lock. Only draw back I can see is someday the cylinder will need replacing. But while I have mine in there I run the safety strap through the wheel to make sure it is not moving. Also made a piece of plywood to slide in the bed of the truck to haul if needed. It works excellent!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here's a couple of pics. The only way I could get the wheel into the wheel chock was to use my jack to raise the bike, and then slide the wheel chock under the (raised) front wheel. Yuck....

From your pictures it looks like you mainly use the mount in your garage just sitting on the floor for maintenance or cleaning. When you have the cradle set for loading the bike how far is the low end off the floor? Does the cradle rock back and forth freely? My Condor is about a half an inch off the trailer floor in the load position and I'm not sure I could just push the bike into it (have never tried) even with it hard mounted to the trailer floor. I may be wrong and someone will tell me but I think this style of wheel chock is really made for powering the bike into it. Just think about how hard it can be to rock the bike out. You have to compress the forks and pop the bike back almost at the same time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the wheeldock chock and it works great! No need to have a certain amount of force to get it to lock. Only draw back I can see is someday the cylinder will need replacing. But while I have mine in there I run the safety strap through the wheel to make sure it is not moving. Also made a piece of plywood to slide in the bed of the truck to haul if needed. It works excellent!
Nice to hear!! I ordered one yesterday. I am a bit concerned with the long term replace-ability of the gas cylinder as well. Hopefully, the chock will work without it, and/or the cylinder is an off the shelf item that can be replaced. I'll ask the WheelDock folks about this, and respond to the thread if there is anything interesting.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The cylinder doesn't look like anything special. But interested as to what you find out. It does work very well though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From your pictures it looks like you mainly use the mount in your garage just sitting on the floor for maintenance or cleaning.
Yes.
When you have the cradle set for loading the bike how far is the low end off the floor?
The low end (facing the front tire) touches the floor.
Does the cradle rock back and forth freely?
Yes - it rocks back and forth smoothly, with no resistance.
My Condor is about a half an inch off the trailer floor in the load position and I'm not sure I could just push the bike into it (have never tried) even with it hard mounted to the trailer floor.
I saw an online video with a couple of guys trying to ride an Ultra into a Condor on a concrete floor. The front tire just pushed the entire Condor unit back - the tire would not go in. Finally, one guy stood on the Condor, and then the Ultra went in (under power) with no problem.
I may be wrong and someone will tell me but I think this style of wheel chock is really made for powering the bike into it.
The Trackside instructions specifically state to NOT ride your bike into it. You're supposed to push it in by hand. I couldn't do that, even with a running start (and that was a bit scary).
Just think about how hard it can be to rock the bike out. You have to compress the forks and pop the bike back almost at the same time.
Yeah - really hard to do. I had to use a jack to lift the front wheel into the air to get the Trackside wheel chock on and off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cylinder doesn't look like anything special. But interested as to what you find out. It does work very well though.
I got an answer from WheelDock (Jeff Yerby), regarding the gas spring:

The gas spring generates approximately 20 times more force than needed. The spring will lose some generated force over time, but not enough to affect the security of the wheel chock. Seldom will a gas spring have a catastrophic failure. Our design has been very reliable over the fifteen years we’ve been producing it. When trailering, we suggest placing the straps pulling forward into the chock (see link below). This provides redundant restraining. The gas springs are a common part. You could most likely pick one up at your local NAPA.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes.

The low end (facing the front tire) touches the floor.

Yes - it rocks back and forth smoothly, with no resistance.

I saw an online video with a couple of guys trying to ride an Ultra into a Condor on a concrete floor. The front tire just pushed the entire Condor unit back - the tire would not go in. Finally, one guy stood on the Condor, and then the Ultra went in (under power) with no problem.

The Trackside instructions specifically state to NOT ride your bike into it. You're supposed to push it in by hand. I couldn't do that, even with a running start (and that was a bit scary).

Yeah - really hard to do. I had to use a jack to lift the front wheel into the air to get the Trackside wheel chock on and off.

I think these style of mounts are meant to be fasten down. Condor has a detachable bracket you mount to the trailer deck, remove one screw and the mount comes right out. If I were going to use my Condor in the garage I'd probably mount it to a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

When I say power the bike into the mount I mean just enough power to get the cradle to rock the tire in. Do it a couple times an you know just how much throttle it takes. I suppose liability wise they all say not to power the bike in.

My trailer has an aluminum deck an I had to put down 3M grip tape to help get enough traction to pop the bike out of the mount.

That WheelDock sounds interesting if I didn't have a Condor I'd look at it.

Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts

Any ideas??
Am I the only one who rides my bike onto the wheel chock? Ride it on and rock it off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Trackside is sport bike gear. I’ve been using the black Harbor freight ones for ever. I always ride it into the chock with no issues. One tapcon to the floor and your good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Trackside is sport bike gear.
Yup. I got one with a Ducati purchase. Worked great for it, a little work to get out, but went in without issue.
Doesn't work on my heavy bikes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts