Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my mom, locked up in a assisted living facility for Alzheimer's and Dementia. Her memory fading fast, she still has her moments of clarity, like yesterday.......
She asked me if I still had my Harleys??? Yess Mom
She proceeded to tell me, that if not for her I would have never had the love of motorcycles, like I do.
In 75 or 76, my mom purchased me a YZ125 with a mono shock, I was King shit in the neighborhood for at least a couple of years,
My mother getting tired of waiting around the truck while we rode through the woods got old, she ended up buying a Honda Trail 90, and now she rode everywhere we rode no joke, maybe not as fast, but she went everywhere we did. Pretty impressive for a bike that wasn't made for Motocross, the trail 90 was almost indestructible, hell I work more on the yz than I did on her bike.

A couple of years later I found myself, riding a Kawasaki z1r 900, my first street bike, my mom being who she was decided she needed a road bike, and went out and bought another Honda, this time it was a 750 Honda-Matic.
My mom at the time owned a Horse Farm, just outside of Mount Jackson, Virginia
She love riding Skyline Drive, I can't tell you how many times on a Saturday we would fire up the bikes and just take off riding !!!
She never sold the trail 90, living within a couple of miles of a ski resort, she would ride the Honda 90 everywhere, to The Stables to the store, even to the ski lodge. Whenever I had friends come hang out with me they would get stuck on her Trail 90 and I would make jokes about them riding a girl's bike, but like I said in an earlier comment that trail 90 was indestructible!!

Not having a dad in the picture my mom had to be both, and I was lucky enough to have a mom, that knew how to live life!!!
She was a real Adventurer.....

How many of you had dirt bikes back in the day? How many of you switch from dirt bikes to street bikes? How many of you today still ride dirt bikes? For me it's all of the above.
My mom is leaving a legacy, that is being carried on by my daughter, Texas State Enduro Champion 2020....
Instead of a trail 90, my daughter races a badass KTM 250....
Is anybody else here owned a Honda trail bike? They're ugly as hell, but one of the most easiest bikes ever to ride.
And Honda is still making them, it is now a trail 125 though

It's hard watching my mom slip away, Alzheimer's is a very cruel disease, it affects everybody. But there are days when you just have to smile. For in that moment and just that moment her memory is still clear.....

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2 wheel
Is excluded from any of those questions I asked, he is my hero in many ways, a purist to the highest degree, and a true Adventurer, all it takes is one look into his Stables, and it becomes clear what's on his agenda....... when he post pictures of the Windy roads in Tennessee, I can't help but to think of the similar roads in the Virginia mountains, an dirt roads as well....... that my mother and I had conquered together.

Don't be getting the fat head 2Wheel it was not a compliment, just a mere observation.....

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,721 Posts
Great story Tex. I grew up in NH. I bought my first bike when I was 13. I had been riding a mini-bike and an old scooter that my uncle had rescued from the scrap pile. Every time my dad went to visit his brother (about 10 miles away) I ran down and jumped into his pickup truck because I knew I'd be able to ride (he had about a 2 acre yard) while the two of them drank their coffee and talked. It was this same uncle that used to take me to Laconia for the races, and to several dirt tracks throughout northern New England for scrambles, then motocross, and also a hill climb event in Mass. After all that exposure to bikes, I was totally hooked at the age of 12 and was determined to have my own dirt bike. I saved money I earned shoveling driveways and mowing lawns for about 18 months.

I used to walk about 2 miles (roundtrip) out of my way from school to "Nault's Motorcycle and Bicycle Shop" in Manchester. Nault's was a bicycle shop that started with a Honda dealership and eventually also had Yamaha, Kawasaki, and a couple of dirt racing brands that came and went. One day when I went to Nault's, there it was .... a less than one year old used Yamaha 100 Street and Trail ... it was love at 1st sight!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

She's was a beauty, Clark! It had 3 way adjustable rear shocks, solo seat, high pipe, knobby tires .... and I was totally hooked once I looked at the price tag - $325. dollars - which was about $20. less than I had in my bank account. Done deal! Now I had to convince my old man (who never rode a motorcycle in his life and had no interest in them) to come look at it with me and to sign the paperwork necessary for me to own it. After about a week of pestering him, he finally relented and off we went to Nault's. An hour later it was mine. Now I had to wait a few more VERY LOOOOONG days until my uncle picked me up in his pickup truck and we went to pick up my pride and joy. I was too young to give a damn about girls and sex, so I know it had to be the absolute "best day of my life" .... well, at least the first 13 years!

For those not familiar with this model. if you look closely, you'll see that it has 2 sprockets on the back, one 'big mutha' for off road, and a smaller sprocket for pure speed on the streets (hey, I could get my drivers license in only 3 years!). It came with an under seat tool pouch that had 3-4 basic cheap tools and an extra length of chain with qwik-links on both ends, so that you could convert it from 'street' to 'trail' in about 10 minutes by adding in the extra length of chain. In my mind it was a true honest to goodness dirt bike, and the big difference between that Yamaha and the 'sissy' 90 Honda that my best friend and neighbor had, was that front (bolt on) frame tube. Hey, I had actually been to many scrambles and motocross events and I knew what a proper dirt bike looked like!

My uncle passed many years ago, but to this day, I have loving thoughts of him, because without his motorcycling influence on me, I no doubt would have not had 57 years of pure joy riding the motorcycles that became such a big part of my life for most of my years. He also was very generous in letting me ride (once I was 16 and had a license) every motorcycle he owned over the years. 350 Ducati Scrambler, 650 BSA Lightning, Bultaco Matador, and several more. The only bike of his that I never rode (my choice) was a Matchless GS80 CS 500 single he owned for 2-3 years. I'll be honest and say that I was about 15 when he had that bike, and I wasn't yet 'man' enough to want to kick start that beast. Even with the ignition retard lever fully on, it was capable of catapulting a 200 lb. man over the bars when it kicked-back. My Unc was 6'2" and about 275, and I once saw that thing kick-back and his foot slipped off the kick start pedal, and it caught him squarely on the shin and he couldn't walk without crutches for about a week, and it was purple for about 2 months. I wanted no part of that beast.

Tx Smoker - thanks for taking me down memory lane with your story about your mom and your early riding years.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Before I left home I had to beg, borrow, or steal a ride on trail bikes. The wanderlust and love of motorized toys skipped from my grandmother to me. She always had the latest muscle car, and would tow a camper behind it. She would always tell me I was just like her. I remember riding Z50s, Trail 70s, Trail 90s, various 125s and of course was always on several different types of bicycles. My parents were not into possessions at all.

I also can relate to the Alzheimer's disease and dementia. My parents are in their 80s and Mom has had it for at least 5 years now. My Dad started getting dementia in 2020. Cruel disease but sometimes I wonder which is worse, having clarity of mind trapped in a non functioning body like those with ALS or Parkinson's, or losing your cognitive abilities but the body can go on for many years.

Life is short and I haven't met anyone who regrets not spending more time at work.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
So, my mom will turn 99 next month. She has been taking care of my dad, whom we just got into assisted living last week. The dementia from Parkinson's has been horrible. Prayers go out to you and your mom. What a woman! Sadly, my parents were anti-motorcycle and other than riding a neighbors mini-bike in the dirt, I had no motorcycles before I could afford them. I have taken my BMW GSA out on the trails a few times, but that is about the extent of my experience.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uncle Fuzzy

My mom's Honda Trail 90 had you beat, there was a little knob down below shifter , and you could slide it forward and backwards, one was high range and one was low range with the flip of a mechanical switch.....no erxtra chain links needed.....
But at least yours look like a real bike......
I was one of the first to have a Kawasaki 200 Enduro, when I raced in Florida you were required to have headlight,taillight, spark arrestor. ...
Looks down at the ground shaking my head sideways, given my age away. My daughter now races Enduros and hair scrambles..... these days all the door needed is a spark arrestor and your ready to go racing......
I have posted this picture a couple of times, my daughter with a first-place finish in women's, and a 3rd place finish in men's, anything a man can do she can do better that's her motto, and she gets that from me one proud dad.....
Tire Jeans Wheel Car Plant
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Cloud Sky Tire Helmet Motorcycle

My daughter reminds me of my mother so much, those two have so much in common....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Dad and mom both supported my itch starting with Mini-Trail 50 at 10, CT-70 at 12, and a KZ-400 at 15 which started my street riding. Dad never rode, but I think he lived vicariously through my adventures spanning many different bikes over my life. I think he was more proud than me when I finally bought my first Harley in ‘08; he used to brag to all his fellow retired compadres that his son rode a hog 🤣. Lost dad in ‘13 and mom just a few months back in 2021. Without their support and blessings, my life wouldn’t be what it is today. I think of them every time I saddle up 👍

·
Registered
502 Posts
I Learned to ride on a bike very similar to Fuzzy’s. A Yamaha Trail Master 80 that my father bought new in 64 or 65. I was only allowed to ride on the back until I grew tall enough to reach my toes to the ground. Once that day came though, I was out riding that Yamaha daily, mostly while he was at work. It also had the extra large sprocket. My dad would put the chain on the small (street), and I would switch it back to the large sproket since due to my age, all my riding was off rode in the fields around our home. One day dad came home from work and jumped on it to run up the street to the store to get his box of cigars. Dutch Masters Presidents was his smoke of choice back then. I jumped on the back and off we went. Dad hit second gear hard and the combination of the chain being on the large sprocket and me being on the back adding weight to the ass end, the front end came up and over we went. I was not injured but dad had broke his knee in three places requiring surgery to screw it back together. I eventually saved enough money delivery news papers and mowing lawns to buy my very own Honda Mini Trail 50. I have bought and sold many a scooters since those childhood days but that old Yamaha is still in the family to this day. Here is a picture of it from a few years ago when I decided to give it the attention it deserved and gave it a bit of a overhaul.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
600 Posts
Great memories. A friend and I would pick up busted bikes, strip them and build a bike from the parts. I always had 5 or so bikes. One day my mother said her friend had an old mower I could have. After weeks of nagging I finally went to get it. It was a reel mower with a 1 1/4 hp horizontal shaft motor. I mounted that engine on a bicycle and rode all over town, avoiding cops. At about 15 I used my earning and bought a Honda S90. I had a blast on that.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Also grew up around bikes my whole life, both my parents rode along with a couple uncles.. I know the had trail 90's at one time and Honda balloon tire trikes also.. I started on some Suzuki big tire on/off road bikes they had last, then I went on to YZ's... Then many Quads and a 250R trike over the years.. I currently have a 21 KTM 250 that I run Hare scrambles with just got back into the dirt scene last year and sorry I got out of it... Forgot how much fun it is..

·
Registered
76 Posts
First off, thanks for all the stories above and for helping me remember simpler times.

When my Nona (grand ma) passed, my dad used a large portion of the inheritance (it was 11000 split 3 ways), which was more money than he had ever had to buy us boys a Yamaha DT-175 2-stroke on-off and a CT-70. I was maybe 10, im 50, still have a CT-70 in the garage. 1982 CT-70 in pretty decent shape..Still makes me smile everytime i ride it.
We’ve got an 11 acre field in the front yard that the neighborhood kids ride in. I use the CT-70 as an ambulance / pick up tipped over bike and start bike 😉. My youngest is just going from a CRF-50 to a CRF-110 (he doesn’t know i have it yet). Motorcycles make every day a better day.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glide69
What is it about the KTM 250's,
My daughter swears that's the best bike to date, and she has had many other brands over the years.....

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Glide69
What is it about the KTM 250's,
My daughter swears that's the best bike to date, and she has had many other brands over the years.....
As a old 2 stroke guy IMHO KTM kept the 2 stroke alive when Honda, Kawi and Suzuki went away from them and Yamaha never really did much with the YZ over the years.. I was always a YZ guy to.. KTM improved the 2 stoke and now with Fuel and oil injection and electric start these things are so easy to ride.. There doing something right because there is a lot of Orange at these races!! This has been a solid bike for me and I have no reason to try another brand..

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a old 2 stroke guy IMHO KTM kept the 2 stroke alive when Honda, Kawi and Suzuki went away from them and Yamaha never really did much with the YZ over the years.. I was always a YZ guy to.. KTM improved the 2 stoke and now with Fuel and oil injection and electric start these things are so easy to ride.. There doing something right because there is a lot of Orange at these races!! This has been a solid bike for me and I have no reason to try another brand..
The last race she was at, she shit canned a clutch during the first heat, I watched her throw the bike on its side in anger, I went to pick it up,to put it on the stand.....
And she hollers leave it, in her hands were all the parts needed to reeplace the clutch, and did the hole clutch with it still laying on its side....cussing and swearing the hole time......my daughter is a better mechanic than her husband.
She ended up finishing 1st in the women's class.....I guess KTM clutches are easy to replace as well,

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
The last race she was at, she shit canned a clutch during the first heat, I watched her throw the bike on its side in anger, I went to pick it up,to put it on the stand.....
And she hollers leave it, in her hands were all the parts needed to reeplace the clutch, and did the hole clutch with it still laying on its side....cussing and swearing the hole time......my daughter is a better mechanic than her husband.
She ended up finishing 1st in the women's class.....I guess KTM clutches are easy to replace as well,
That's awesome good for her!! Yeah there not bad to do but don't think I would want to do it on a hot bike in the dirt.. Laying them on there side is the best way don't even loose a drop of oil..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.