Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with my local Harley dealer and was going to purchase a trailer hitch and have it installed there. I was told that Harley does not make one but he could sell me an aftermarket hitch and that I would have to go else where to get it installed?????????
I really want to get the aluminum pull behind trailer and need some information on a good hitch.
I need some ideas on what is out there for a good aftermarket hitch that is easy to install and wire.

Thank you in advance.:)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hitch doc, Kuryakyn, Bushtec are just a few. I like the hidden hitch option but have a fixed ball hitch from Kuryakyn on its way to me as I write this. I'll be able to tell you more about the installation once I put it on but wouldn't expect it to be difficult at all - simple bolt on - easy enough to do it yourself. Trailer wiring may be more daunting but not too terribly much I suspect. Check out this site for building your own trailer - http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/mctrailer.htm This othere site mightbe helpful as well http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=MCTrailertowing&nav=start&prettyurl=/MCTrailertowing/start&gid=150618024

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
I have the mchitch , four mounting points on the frame and the saddlebag braces as well

FWIW they will tell you it voids your warranty, I went thru this with them over twenty years ago , if you have ESP , it does say if the bike is set up for towing , it voids the ESP ..

I remove mine when not in use

JtB

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Yes I would like one to but wont this void your warranty.

Ask your dealer to show you where it says IN WRITING that pulling a trailer voids your warranty.

Most extended warranties, beyond the 2 year factory warranty, are underwritten by private companies who may or may not include trailer language in their contracts.

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
the warranty does say 'unauthorized accessories' and that is probably what they would throw back at you

JtB

·
Registered
605 Posts
I bought a hitch with the receiver, so when the hitch is out you can't even see it, bought a little used trailer back when I had the EGU and had out repainted to match the RGU. I love it but the wife loves it even more, she gets to take her shoes. Went with Kuryakyn wiring harness, it draws power from the main circuit instead of the lights, hooked it to the Acc switch plug under the seat so when I'm not using the trailer I can turn it off. Can't remember who makes the hitch but I got it off Ebay, bout $175 for the hitch.

Jay

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just sold mine to 1st Sgt.....it was a Kuryakyn and also used their trailer harness kit...plug and play you just have to hook 2 wires to the positive side of the battery and plug the harness in the tailight harness...easy cheesy!! Hitch is very stout and easy to install also.

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
the cargo trailer is for her as well , I can go two weeks with the saddlebags , tour pak and passenger seat for storage , with room left over , she uses that much for one night ..

a winger here has a vanity plate on his trailer :

HERSTUF

JtB

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Another issue that comes up when pulling a trailer is the swingarm bushings. I never pulled a trailer but a guy I ride with pulled one with his 2007 street glide and he had to replace the swingarm bushing 2 times. It seems that pulling a trailer may wear out the swingarm bushing prematurely.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just got off the phone with my local Harley dealer and was going to purchase a trailer hitch and have it installed there. I was told that Harley does not make one but he could sell me an aftermarket hitch and that I would have to go else where to get it installed?????????
I really want to get the aluminum pull behind trailer and need some information on a good hitch.
I need some ideas on what is out there for a good aftermarket hitch that is easy to install and wire.

Thank you in advance.:)
A trailer hitch cannot legally void any warranty. Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss.

Harley dealers will tell you this because they do not sell trailers or accessories. Harley riders have been successfully pulling trailers for decades.

The trailer hitch you choose should be rated for the weight you are pulling and the tongue weight you will be applying (usually 10%-15% of the GVTW).

What year and model is your bike?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went with Mchitch and wire set up for lights. All led lights on trailer
Good thing when not using it remove the receiver install plug Looks good
I also made luggage rack that slides in for weekend trips

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2013 RG Ulta. Thank you.

A trailer hitch cannot legally void any warranty. Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss.

Harley dealers will tell you this because they do not sell trailers or accessories. Harley riders have been successfully pulling trailers for decades.

The trailer hitch you choose should be rated for the weight you are pulling and the tongue weight you will be applying (usually 10%-15% of the GVTW).

What year and model is your bike?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HERSTUF love it, I am just afraid that soon we will need a trike with a 4x8 trailer behind it..
Cheers.

the cargo trailer is for her as well , I can go two weeks with the saddlebags , tour pak and passenger seat for storage , with room left over , she uses that much for one night ..

a winger here has a vanity plate on his trailer :

HERSTUF

JtB

·
Registered
505 Posts
Another issue that comes up when pulling a trailer is the swingarm bushings. I never pulled a trailer but a guy I ride with pulled one with his 2007 street glide and he had to replace the swingarm bushing 2 times. It seems that pulling a trailer may wear out the swingarm bushing prematurely.
I pulled a one-wheeled trailer (N-Line) and a 2 wheeled trailer (Neosho Starlight 19) with a 1999 FLHT. Bike was sold in 2009 with approx 144,000 miles on it. Probably 2/3 of that was pulling either one of those trailers. I replaced the swingarm bushings once at about 101,000 miles.

I wouldn't consider that excessive. Also got 4 or 5 friends that pull trailers too. Not a problem with them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
2013 RG Ulta. Thank you.
I have a Hitch Doc that would fit your Ultra. It is made for 2009-2013 Road Glide models. It is one of the strongest available. I can advise you on the isolated wiring harness as well. The Hitch Doc I have is new and never mounted.

Does your rear fender appear like this one?

$325 includes shipping in the lower 48 states

1 - 20 of 44 Posts