Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m ready to buy a trailer hitch but would like some feedback. I know I want a hidden vertical hitch so that my local dealer doesn’t flag my bike when it’s sitting in the parking lot. I’ve narrowed it down to 3 choices: HitchDoc because they are made in the US and look solid, but holy crap, they are twice as expensive as my other two choices, the Kuryakyn and the Rivco. I had a Rivco hitch on the Goldwing and really liked it, but I have no experience at all with Kury hitches. One of the considerations is that it needs to be relatively easy to take off if I need to take the bike in for service, but it still needs to be solid. I will be towing a Bunkhouse XL camper trailer. Does anyone have any experience they can share with any of the aforementioned hitches? Thanks!!

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
Use an mchitch , used to leave it off except for when I actually was towing , and even pulled into dealer once with it on and the never said a word .. I think it depends on the dealer , but they are getting pretty nitpicky now ..

Bunkhouse will be a good pull for the RG , I had a Time Out , was over 400 empty , and pulled pretty easily , still got 35 mpg running 70-80 .. Pretty certain the Bunkhouse is heavier ..

mine is well out of warranty and the esp expired , so no worries anymore here ..

just be sure and get load equalizer wiring harness , powers directly from the battery

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been running this Kurykan hitch for the past year; https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/5021/receiver-hitch

My trailer is from harbor freight. Went cross country and a few other trips last year with no problems. Easily was at 80 on cruise control with 2 of us on the bike and I didn't even notice the trailer behind me.

I am in the same boat as the other poster. My dealer didn't say anything about the hitch when I brought the bike in to be worked on for warranty work. In fact I think they removed it before the adjustor came by because I found the wires moved when I picked my bike back up.

Bill

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a Kuryaken that I never installed. I would let it go priced reasonably. I ultimately went with a hitch from Inline trailers. They installed it for me while at sturgis 2015. I've used it for hauling my Aspen Sentry camper.

I would not consider either easy to remove quickly. The Kury does not use a hitch/receiver. The hole is on the mounted bracket and you attach the ball. It stays attached all the time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
HitchDoc is very solid. Much heavier material. Never take it off my Softail. Waiting till next year to get one for the RGS when warranty is over.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
HitchDoc is very solid. Much heavier material. Never take it off my Softail. Waiting till next year to get one for the RGS when warranty is over.

I went with a company out of Colorado. The guy's name is Jeff and was really helpful with my questions. His website is www.steelhorse57.com and last I checked the hitch I got for my 2017 was $200.00, powdercoated black and is relatively unseen with the exceptions of part of the bracket that slightly extend outward from the fender. They are a 4 point attachment.

I made a custom dog trailer to tow behind my bike and have traveled with it approximately 2500 miles since I completed it back in late March.

I also use a freedom pivot ball and the Kuryakyn wire harness with the isolator. My trailer has 14 different points of LED illumination and my bike has never had a problem lighting them up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed a Bushtec hitch on my '18 RGU. I pull a Bushtec trailer so I went with them. Well made and takes about an hour to install. It uses the vertical receiver that locks onto the bike and is removed when not in use.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Follow up, I ended up buying the FBI (Fat Baggers Inc.) Hitch for my 15RGS. Install was easy, it's hidden with the receiver removed. Still have to come up with wiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts