Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borrowing an enclosed trailer for a trip where I am taking family,dog, kayaks etc. he has floor mounted tie downs. How do you use a wheel chock for the fron tire without bolting it down?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
if you can tie the bike down so it's pulling forward and the chock is up against something than it will serve the purpose of keeping the front tire in a stable position, I used to do that with my lo rider in the back of my s10 pu. the chock was up against the front of the bed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I know some won't agree with is but here it goes. I trailered my old heritage some a few years back with no wheel chock. Have someone help with this. Bike in the trailer where you want it, place a 4X4 about 16" long under the frame rails towards the front, bike in first gear with someone sitting on the bike holding front brake, strap the front down while compressing the front suspension until the frame contacts the 4X4. Then strap down the rear tight enough to compress suspension a little not all the way down. Don't let off the brake until all straps are tight. You can use a zip tie to keep the brake applied and leave the bike in gear. Make sure of course front straps go from the bike towards front of trailer and out and the rear from the bike towards the rear of trailer. I've done this many times for thousands of miles with no issue. Every gas stop check straps to ensure they haven't loosened any. This is the best way I've found with out a wheel chock. Not trying to insult your intelligence with the details. Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Harbor Freight has the non screw down chocks.

But, need depends on location of the d rings.

Not sure that I agree with keeping the brakes zip tied engaged.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
You don't need anything. Roll the bike up to the front wall of the trailer, put the kickstand down and get off the bike, tie it down. Easy peasey. When I needed to trailer the bikes that's what I did and never had a problem. I put 2 bikes in my trailer side by side doing this way and drove about 300 miles again without any problems. When I stopped for gas I'd open the trailer to check on them

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I one mistake most people make is tying down the front end from the handle bars or the crash bars. A no no. Use soft straps (a short strap with loop on each end) and go around the front shocks just above the fender bolts. Then strap it down with your tie downs. Once that is done, strap the back down at your normal place. This system saves your front fork seals and also ties it down with a firm solid mounting keeping the front end from washing (tire sliding to one side or the other) and will never loosen up.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
You don't need anything. Roll the bike up to the front wall of the trailer, put the kickstand down and get off the bike, tie it down. Easy peasey. When I needed to trailer the bikes that's what I did and never had a problem. I put 2 bikes in my trailer side by side doing this way and drove about 300 miles again without any problems. When I stopped for gas I'd open the trailer to check on them
+1^^^. I did this before and it works OK just put a 2x6 or 2x8 piece of wood against the trailer wall and make sure it goes from the trailer floor to just above the middle of the front tire, doing this will insure that the front fender will not hit the trailer wall.

I one mistake most people make is tying down the front end from the handle bars or the crash bars. A no no. Use soft straps (a short strap with loop on each end) and go around the front shocks just above the fender bolts. Then strap it down with your tie downs. Once that is done, strap the back down at your normal place. This system saves your front fork seals and also ties it down with a firm solid mounting keeping the front end from washing (tire sliding to one side or the other) and will never loosen up.
I alway use 10 ft ratchet straps and loop the strap over the bottom triple tree, then there is no need for soft ties because the strap acts as the soft tie and you can cinch the bike down good. I have hauled my bike across country many of times and I am not a fan of the bike bouncing around in the back of the trailer that is why I cinch the bike down good.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone have the HF item number? I will get the one that doesn't need to be bolted. I called HF but they were clueless. Thanks men.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
+1^^^. I did this before and it works OK just put a 2x6 or 2x8 piece of wood against the trailer wall and make sure it goes from the trailer floor to just above the middle of the front tire, doing this will insure that the front fender will not hit the trailer wall.

I alway use 10 ft ratchet straps and loop the strap over the bottom triple tree, then there is no need for soft ties because the strap acts as the soft tie and you can cinch the bike down good. I have hauled my bike across country many of times and I am not a fan of the bike bouncing around in the back of the trailer that is why I cinch the bike down good.
Continue this and you will damage your front shocks. Blow the seals out. But sounds like you have it figured out.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the one, thanks for the offer. Since it's a good friends trailer that I can use anytime I think I will buy it. Also I plan on strapping the chock down to a floor clamp!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bolt down your current chock to a sheet of 3/4" plywood, then just slide it in the trailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts