Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Harley Davidson RoadGlide Stage 1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i am new to the Harley scene and i just bought a 2002 Harley Road Glide FLTRI and it has the 88 cubic inch motor with the 5 speed tranny. I was just trying to put a '15 RG 103 motor and 6 speed tranny in my bike but everyone said it was impossible. So my next question is can i buy a 6 speed gear set with rods and everything can i swap them into my 5speed tranny housing to make my tranny 6speed? If not is there anyway to make my tranny 6 speed? And what would i need to do? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated since i am new to the scene like i said and just learning as i go. So thank you all in advanced for any help it is really much appreciated.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,569 Posts
Jim's also makes a 6 speed for a 5 speed frame/case. Why do you feel you must have a 6th gear? I rarely use mine

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
338 Posts
Save the money by not adding a 6th gear....
Stroke your 88 instead, and call it a day....
Thete are Many options out there, you can do to wake that 88 up!!!
The main thing is to enjoy your new to you Road Glide.....be careful though, buying parts and accessories for your bike can become an addiction.....and the addiction is real!!!
Just sayin

My Name is TexasSmoker,
It has been 1 month an 2 days, 8 hours since I ordered some parts for my the bike.......

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa!

Having a 6th gear is nice on the older bikes. All depends on how much coin you want to spend for that luxury......

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could also regear the final drive ratio if you're looking to try and keep rpm's lower on the interstate for only a few hundred dollars. Beware you'll lose some low end grunt though and might want to do this only after you've bumped the engine up a bit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most that have done this to a stock 88 have not been happy.

·
Registered
2002 Harley Davidson RoadGlide Stage 1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advice. I don’t mind the 5 speed I just don’t really like how high the rpms sit at when you’re doing 75mph on the interstate. So that’s why I wanted to see if I could do anything to add a 6th gear to my tranny or bike at all.

·
Administrator
11,820 Posts
Easiest to find a cam that will work better in a different rpm range .. IOW the engine will be "happier" at the higher RPM .. IIRC you are probably running around 3200 at 75 , which isnt bad , probably just sounds like the motor is fixing to grenade ..
Your primary is geared different , so I dont know exactly where you would be , but 3000 in sixth is about 77-78 mph ..

JtB

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
If you want more top end at a lower RPM then you can just add a smaller rear pully by just one or two teeth or put a larger front pulley in the front,
If you go this way then a little bump in torque would help by putting in a low end torque cam or doing the engine build.

Reactions: Stoic Joker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts