Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at traveling the Trans-Canada Hwy (Hwy 17) as a portion of my trip to SW IV. The section I am most interested in is between Sault St. Marie and Ottawa.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some first hand advice. You know, must see, skip entirely...info.

tj

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
hope this helps

Hwy# 17 is a decent road. Nice riding with sweeping curves, hills and valleys through thick forests and occasional rock cuts. Some of it from the Soo is four lanes for a bit. Most of it is two lanes with lots of truck passing lanes. It connects to the Trans Canada Hwy #1 through Ontario from the 17/417 connecting from 40 in Quebec on the eastern most portion of our HUGE provence so traffic is pretty steady. Construction along the way can sure slow things down. Services aren't bad with lots of gas opportunities but if you fill up in Sault Saint Marie you'll need gas before Sudbury. There's a truck stop in Nairne Center that has fuel for you and the bike. Sudbury has a HD shop called "The Shoppe" if you need a new t-shirt along the way. North Bay and Pembroke are the next "bigger" centers you'll pass through that have all the big city amenities.

The biggest thing you have to watch for is critters at night, early morning and early evening. Mid day not so bad but depending on the time of year there may be lots of turtles crossing the road. They don't look both ways so watch for em jumping out at ya. Those and MOOSE :eek: bears :eek: and deer :eek:

If you have time, Manitoulin is a nice place to tour around. Lost of twisties and vistas of Lake Huron. If so inclined a ferry boat runs across to Tobermory every 5 hours or so. I think its a three hour crossing.

Not much for tourism along the way BUT some of the little towns (several) have cool little gift shops featuring local artists stuff. Depends what your into.

Best advice is don't ride in the dark and be very cautious early morning. Always scanning the road ahead for critters because they're big!

hope this helps,
enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hotrodad,

This helps a lot. Thank you for taking the time for the detailed reply. I'm thinking that this sounds like a great road to plan around; although, I do worry about those turtles suddenly darting out in front of me.

Thanks again.

tj

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Sudbury is a nice town Pop; 160 000+
If your timing brings you there it's a nice place to call it a day for the next leg of your ride.
Ottawa (our Nations Capital) Pop: 880 000+
Is 5 hours away from Sudbury and this could also be a nice stop as well - This would put you at 7 and a half hours from your final leg into Maine.

Here's a little Motorcycle Link that Ontario provides to promote motorcycle touring across it's province. Might be some interesting things to view here.

http://www.gorideontario.com/en/motorcycle

I'd avoid night riding anywhere near the border south or north of Sault St. Marie all the way to Sudbury. Very dense forest which does not allow for good views through the foliage at what might pop out!

Here's what the roads on the 17 look like and you must avoid my GF parking spot she found there on Aug.8th 2013 coming back from Sturgis/SWIII ;)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I rode from Ottawa to Sault Ste. Marie on 17 in a day. It rained most of the day. I took that route because it was shorter than going around in the US side of the Great Lakes. As I recall, it was just a road. There was nothing special enough to jog my memory. Customs went through my bag when I came back into the States. They were looking for prescription drugs. :confused:

I think you should consider the Gypsy Tour instead. Hutmo always puts together a fun route and time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had read about Nan's decision to park beyond the pavement shoulder; but I didn't realize that it was in the same area. I am happy to see that she is doing so well and ready to get back in the saddle already. Very gutsy.

Tim,

Thank you very much for your input. I really did enjoy meeting everyone on the Gypsy Tour this year. Its still pretty early but it seems like a lot of the fun of the trip is exploring various options. It may sound corny but we should really appreciate how lucky we are to have so many choices in life.

Besides I really started getting concerned. Here it is less than a year to SW IV and I don't think Chris has posted one final detail for the Gypsy Tour next year. No interesting stops, no hotels, no final tour route. Tick tock.......Tick tock.

tj

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,897 Posts
Ok, OK, if you must have details this early, I'll devulge one fact about Hutmo's Gypsy Tour for SW4, but you must promise to keep it a secret!

..... It's gonna end in Shelbourne, N.H. where the fun will continue for another 4 days!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, something firm to work with.

Oh crap... Does that qualify for Romper Room?

tj

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roadglidetouring,

Thanks for the warning. It sounds like you can't let your guard down at all, no matter what time it is.

tj

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I rode from Ottawa to Sault Ste. Marie on 17 in a day. It rained most of the day. I took that route because it was shorter than going around in the US side of the Great Lakes. As I recall, it was just a road. There was nothing special enough to jog my memory. Customs went through my bag when I came back into the States. They were looking for prescription drugs. :confused:

I think you should consider the Gypsy Tour instead. Hutmo always puts together a fun route and time.
"just a road" ?! never say JUST A ROAD! Unless you have gravel in there. Riding 17 in the rain or any road for that matter is never all it can be. By the sounds of it it was just a choice of convenience for you rather than adventure. Any ride will be what you make of it. Hutmo's gypsy tour will no doubt continue meeting expectations and maybe elevate to legendary status but if your looking for an alternative route and wanting to see part of another country this is as good as any.

Dreamrider
I like you way with words and describing Natalie's choice of parking spots. I am so glad she's ok and wants to get back on the road. She's an amazing woman and an excellent rider. Never doubt her abilities! Great comments about riding HWY#17 btw.
HRD

·
Registered
644 Posts
"just a road" ?! never say JUST A ROAD! Unless you have gravel in there. Riding 17 in the rain or any road for that matter is never all it can be. By the sounds of it it was just a choice of convenience for you rather than adventure.
I was going from Madawaska, ME to Blaine, WA as part of the USA 4 Corners adventure. Yes, it was convenient to use 17. The gravel was in Montana where US 2 was under reconstruction. I'm not talking about gravel on the road. The road was deep, loose gravel in several spots for some distance. Those sections of road were memorable and highlights in the adventure.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought I would bump this up for anyone wanting some Trans Canada HWY info for the trip to or from SWIV. Its from a while ago but it should be applicable.

Thanks to all who took the time.

tj

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here is a tip I learned from touring riders more experienced than me for help avoiding deer, moose and other critters. Crank up the stereo. Especially for deer. They are not to bothered by engine noise but deer despise the sound of human voices. So crank up the tunes or talk to yerself along the way.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts