Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an 11 fltrx. 100 miles so far. Trans is real noisey. when I pull in the clutch after 1st ( before actually shifting to 2nd) I hear a clank sound ?? Also getting into neutral is a nightmare. i had a six speed on my 07 and it was smooth. Does it need to break in or should I bring it back ?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Check your tranny oil level first (sometimes it's low from the factory) then take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sounds like your shifter shoes (not the ones at the end of your legs) aren't adjusted correctly. Dealer time!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just checked fluid- low. hot should read in the middle of the X mark. then theres an A . my level is reading at the bottom of the A. so probably a few oz low. I dont think this would be makin all that noise.

@ staush- Can you eloborate on the shifter shoes. I have no idea how they work,. Does the trans have to come out or is this an easy adjustment ? thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
they take the cover off of the tranny to adjust the shifters. on the earlier bikes ,the service manual would show how to adjust the shoes but i tried to find it in my manual,nothing.shouldn't be any biggie.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It sounds like the shift forks are out of adjustment. I would take it back to the dealer!! They have a special tool for that adjustment.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
goin back tmrw. clutch is sloppy also. theres a retaining clip off the side of the gauge cluster. clip isnt there. cable is up against cluster markin it up . Not havin luck with this thing. I also posted in the paint section my saddlebag was not painted correctly.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt know if shoes was slang for somethin else other than the forks. sorry for my retardedness !! I dont know jack when it comes to transes, just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the advice. BTW - if the cover is comin off then new fluid is needed. I always switch to redline shockproof synthetic after break -in. should I bring it and have them put it in since it's gettin dumped anyway ?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I didnt know if shoes was slang for somethin else other than the forks. sorry for my retardedness !! I dont know jack when it comes to transes, just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the advice. BTW - if the cover is comin off then new fluid is needed. I always switch to redline shockproof synthetic after break -in. should I bring it and have them put it in since it's gettin dumped anyway ?
I don't think they have to dump the oil. The top cover of the trans has to come off to adjust the forks. But that Redline oil is ten times better than what they have in there!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok- I'll just change it myself then. P.s. checked the manual. they want you to check the trans oil on the jiffy stand now? any bike ive owned including my 07 RG you checked it straight up

·
Registered
239 Posts
How much oil do they recommend to fill it up? It seems like the older ones took about 22oz if I remember right, but the old memory's not quit what it used to be :D The main thing on the trans oil is to not over fill it!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
You know for the life of me i couldn't remember "shifter forks" which happens with age! Forks it is.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
How much oil do they recommend to fill it up? It seems like the older ones took about 22oz if I remember right, but the old memory's not quit what it used to be :D The main thing on the trans oil is to not over fill it!!
The six speed transmission on the touring models takes 32 fluid ounces (1qt) of oil. I use Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic gear lube and it serves me well.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
will I cause any harm changing to synthetic trans fluid at 150 miles?
No not at all in matter of fact it would be beneficial. The sooner you get the 20w50 out of the trans the better IMO. The transmission is a gear driven unit and even though HD recommends that you use their Syn3 20w50 motor oil in the transmission the transmission will benefit with a gear lube in it. Mobil 1 75/90 is what I use and it is about $9 a qt. It won't hurt anything if you wait and do it after the 1000 mile service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts