Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ready to buy a 2018 FLTR Special, and sell my 2008 FLTR Anniversary.

The 2008 is set up with a solo King Tour Pak. The Tour Pak is located where the passenger seat would normally be located.
I want the same setup for my new 2018. My ‘08 setup:

47D4B295-C2B6-41E0-8620-E8DC4A6827DF.jpeg

I know I will need a new quick release mechanism for the 2018. However, for my purposes, is there any problem other than color reusing the king box from my ‘08 ?

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
INterference!!!

The shape of the older tourpaks does not lend well to the opening of the saddlebags on the 18my.

You may have to raise your tourpak in order to clearance the opening of the saddle bags.

Newer Rushmore tourpaks are shaped differently at the bottom and taper inwards much more than the pre Rushmore tourpaks.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
721 Posts
The shape of the older tourpaks does not lend well to the opening of the saddlebags on the 18my.

You may have to raise your tourpak in order to clearance the opening of the saddle bags.

Newer Rushmore tourpaks are shaped differently at the bottom and taper inwards much more than the pre Rushmore tourpaks.

Calgaryglide
Interesting, when I took the TP off my 81 and put it on my 10 the bags opened just fine. Could it be a random issue with certain years/mount heights perhaps?? 81 TP was just bolted flat to a quick release mount/cargo rack.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You will need to space the tour pak up 1/4-1/2” on the new base. With the way the new bags open from 14 and up they will not clear the pak. My buddy switched his 10 to newer style bags and lids and they wouldn’t open until he raised the tour pak up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all have given me helpful comments. So I need to purchase a new base, new quick releases, and 1/2” bushings to get my ‘08 TourPak to work on an ‘18 FLTR. Oh ya, gotta have it painted as well.

All that is doable; certainly way less $$ than purchasing a dedicated ‘18.

Any anticipated problems with the above?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Personally I'd just use a block of treated wood (like a piece of fence board) and paint it black. It's cheap, light, and would give full support to the TP.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You may not need to increase the clearance. From reading other threads not everyone has needed to & your the first I’ve read about in the solo location. If you do need to raise it I recommend you use flat bar stock not bushings so the weight is transferred over a larger area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts