Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I've got a 2009 RG that I've had some head work done to. I've got the SE AC, true duals, and Dave Mackie 103 kit. SE Oil Pump and Cam Plate, roller rockers, Feuling Lifters, SE Adjustable pushrods. Have 54k miles on her now.

I've got a knock that is not really related to engine speed other than at specific throttle settings. When accelerating through 2000-3000 rpm I get a knock that is related to the throttle position. Light and easy acceleration its quiet. Under harder acceleration it gets pretty pronounced. Louder than the SuperTrapps. During solid low throttle cruising at any speed it is not present, only during acceleration in the 20-60% throttle range.

My guesses are:
1. Pushrods out of adjustment (but that would be all the time).
2. Lifter not able to maintain pressure when there is increased pressure in the cylinder and valves are trying to open.
3. Cams wearing out?

Any and all insight helpful. Thanks in advance.
Bikepsych

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greetings. I've got a 2009 RG that I've had some head work done to. I've got the SE AC, true duals, and Dave Mackie 103 kit. SE Oil Pump and Cam Plate, roller rockers, Feuling Lifters, SE Adjustable pushrods. Have 54k miles on her now.

I've got a knock that is not really related to engine speed other than at specific throttle settings. When accelerating through 2000-3000 rpm I get a knock that is related to the throttle position. Light and easy acceleration its quiet. Under harder acceleration it gets pretty pronounced. Louder than the SuperTrapps. During solid low throttle cruising at any speed it is not present, only during acceleration in the 20-60% throttle range.

My guesses are:
1. Pushrods out of adjustment (but that would be all the time).
2. Lifter not able to maintain pressure when there is increased pressure in the cylinder and valves are trying to open.
3. Cams wearing out?

Any and all insight helpful. Thanks in advance.
Bikepsych
Did you ever fix this issue? I have a 2010 that I bought with screaming eagle heads, intake, (most likely cammed, etc. but have not confirmed it yet) and I have the same issue. Rides good though but I am a bit paranoid about it sometimes too

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't figured it out yet, but it doesn't seem to be down on power or have any other issues. It really doesn't seem like its' mechanical, but perhaps a resonance issue with the SE Air Cleaner and the head work I had done. I'll keep riding it until something happens. So far, 10k and no problems.
Overall, 56k on the bike.

BG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts