Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see if anyone else has had or ran a cross this issue I'm having. I have a bad rattling sound coming from the trans side cover when in neutral with the clutch engaged, rattling gets loader and faster with RPM increase. When I pull in the clutch lever to disengage the clutch the rattling goes away no matter the RPM. I used a stethoscope to isolate the sound, it's coming from directly behind the side cover. The further I move the scope away from the side cover towards the primary side the sound fades away. I know I have to tear into it to find the problem but just wondering if anyone else has had the issue. I do my own work and have rebuilt a few trannies / installed 6 speed gear sets into 5 speed housings. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Checking to see if anyone else has had or ran a cross this issue I'm having. I have a bad rattling sound coming from the trans side cover when in neutral with the clutch engaged, rattling gets loader and faster with RPM increase. When I pull in the clutch lever to disengage the clutch the rattling goes away no matter the RPM. I used a stethoscope to isolate the sound, it's coming from directly behind the side cover. The further I move the scope away from the side cover towards the primary side the sound fades away. I know I have to tear into it to find the problem but just wondering if anyone else has had the issue. I do my own work and have rebuilt a few trannies / installed 6 speed gear sets into 5 speed housings. Your thoughts?
What year and bike and how many miles on it? Harley's new bikes are notorious for neutral rattle. Put some Redline Heavy Shockproof in it and should cure your problem it that is what it is.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year and bike and how many miles on it? Harley's new bikes are notorious for neutral rattle. Put some Redline Heavy Shockproof in it and should cure your problem it that is what it is.

2012 RGU 60,000 miles. I never had this rattle before yesterday. Started yesterday on my way home from work. I'm the original owner, bought it new.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I sent you a PM Bandit. My wife's bike had the same symptoms as yours. The Cluth assembly was replaced and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If the noise is in the right of the trans, then release bearing or trapdoor bearings would be suspect.

And as said above, it could be an issue on the other end of the shaft transferring noise to the trap door.

First thing I would check the the main drive gear bearing. That's the most common failure point.

And any lateral movement on the shafts will probably transfer noise into the trap door, so don't be surprised if you find the issue on the other side.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All thanks for all the info and thoughts. I'm going to start the year down tonight and will post here the results. Luckily I still have my old faithful 94 Heritage to ride.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Good luck. I hope it's simple and inexpensive for you.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
The noise could also be coming from the Clutch Hub Bearing, this bearing has had a history of failure and since it is connected to the transmission it would produce sound in the trans.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went against my better judgment and tore the primary side apart first, everything was fine. Took the exhaust off so I could get to the trans side cover, removed side cover to find the oil slinger had came apart. Replaced it, changed all the fluids and the mule is back on the road.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Good to hear you found the problem. Sorry the search took more than what was necessary but you probably have peace of mind after getting in here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts