Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to go on a long trip and I decided to upgrade my clutch pack springs on my 17RG. I had a indy shop install the springs for me and he noticed that my primary level was high so once the bike back on level ground he checked the tranny fluid and it wasn't even on the stick. He tops it off for me and I call HD since I had to do a 15k service anyway I wanted to let them know what's going on. I tell them it was just filled so it won't be low but that it was empty when I checked. They do the service and tell me that everything looked normal and that it was IMPOSSIBLE for the tranny fluid to get into the primary. The counter guy goes back to talk to the tech and comes back say the same thing. He recommends keeping an eye on it and if it happens again bring it in. So I'm supposed to ride around on low oil? I tell him if it's impossible why did harley release TA0022?
Great service....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The oil migration and oil pump sumping are the biggest issues with the M8s. If you go to the other forum there are a huge threads about it. I noticed I have the migration problem when I changed out my derby cover.

Funny thing is, my new derby cover is clear, so I can see the oil level in the primary.

I’m going on a big road trip to the southwest next month, I’ll store a quart of oil in my bags, just to make sure I have some in the tranny. Not much we can do until HD fixes the issues.

Reactions: madmat

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
The oil migration and oil pump sumping are the biggest issues with the M8s. If you go to the other forum there are a huge threads about it. I noticed I have the migration problem when I changed out my derby cover.

Funny thing is, my new derby cover is clear, so I can see the oil level in the primary.

I’m going on a big road trip to the southwest next month, I’ll store a quart of oil in my bags, just to make sure I have some in the tranny. Not much we can do until HD fixes the issues.
Didn't know they made a clear derby cover. What brand is it?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bought my M8 used with 1300 miles on it back in January. Did a full fluid change 2 weeks ago before heading to Leesburg. The bike had 4300 miles on it. Before changing fluids i checked the levels. The tranny looked low. when i got the bike up on the lift and removed the derby cover, about 6 oz poured out into a solo cup i had underneath it. I had heard of this issue and wanted to check it. I finished my fluid change in all 3 holes. I used Amsoil 60w for the engine and amsoil synthetic primary and tranny fluids. The very next day i informed my Harley service dept about what i found and asked if they heard about this issue. They said it was news to them. A friend of mine who also has an 18 RGS brought his in to a sister dealership and they drained the fluids in both the tranny and primary then filled the tranny with only 28oz of fluid and the primary with a full quart. They told him to put 1000 miles on the bike and bring it back in. Between Leesburg and Panama City last weekend i put over 1000 miles on the bike since changing the fluids. I just checked the primary and no overfill yet. I will check it again when i put another 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
fluid transer

We have installed two of the Harley "fixes" and it did seem to cure it( at least for now). Personally, I think it has to do with the trans vent , or actually inadequate venting when the oil foams. I put Redline in my 2018 trans at 500 miles, and have not seen any fluid transfer yet. Maybe the guys who run Amsoil will not have the issue either. Again, just my guess, and I was told the push rod is a smaller diameter, allowing more space between the rod and mainshaft.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
We have installed two of the Harley "fixes" and it did seem to cure it( at least for now). Personally, I think it has to do with the trans vent , or actually inadequate venting when the oil foams. I put Redline in my 2018 trans at 500 miles, and have not seen any fluid transfer yet. Maybe the guys who run Amsoil will not have the issue either. Again, just my guess, and I was told the push rod is a smaller diameter, allowing more space between the rod and mainshaft.
When mine did it . It had Spectro 6 speed gear lube in it had from 500 miles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bought my M8 used with 1300 miles on it back in January. Did a full fluid change 2 weeks ago before heading to Leesburg. The bike had 4300 miles on it. Before changing fluids i checked the levels. The tranny looked low. when i got the bike up on the lift and removed the derby cover, about 6 oz poured out into a solo cup i had underneath it. I had heard of this issue and wanted to check it. I finished my fluid change in all 3 holes. I used Amsoil 60w for the engine and amsoil synthetic primary and tranny fluids. The very next day i informed my Harley service dept about what i found and asked if they heard about this issue. They said it was news to them. A friend of mine who also has an 18 RGS brought his in to a sister dealership and they drained the fluids in both the tranny and primary then filled the tranny with only 28oz of fluid and the primary with a full quart. They told him to put 1000 miles on the bike and bring it back in. Between Leesburg and Panama City last weekend i put over 1000 miles on the bike since changing the fluids. I just checked the primary and no overfill yet. I will check it again when i put another 1000 miles on it.
I was the guy who had the problem with a 18 RGS. I took my bike to the dealership and they said my transmission oil was not showing on the dipstick and it gushed out when removing the derby cover!

So my dealership now knows about this issue and is working with me monitoring this issue.

I did take my bike back after 1000 miles as HD requested and there was no change in levels, I also took it back after a further 700 miles and still no change.

I am having my 5000 mile service this week and adding Redline to the transmission, this will a)make it easy to see on the dipstick and b) show up clearly if I have the transfer issue again.

My concern is, if it happened once it will happen again!

BTW, I have heard there is a 3 piece CVO clutch rod that solves this problem, need to investigate further

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There's a member in the other forum selling a kit for his fix. It involves drilling a hole in the inner tranny cover so it can vent. If Harley doesn't come out with a fix that works before my warranty expires, I'll just get the kit.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I was the guy who had the problem with a 18 RGS. I took my bike to the dealership and they said my transmission oil was not showing on the dipstick and it gushed out when removing the derby cover!

So my dealership now knows about this issue and is working with me monitoring this issue.

I did take my bike back after 1000 miles as HD requested and there was no change in levels, I also took it back after a further 700 miles and still no change.

I am having my 5000 mile service this week and adding Redline to the transmission, this will a)make it easy to see on the dipstick and b) show up clearly if I have the transfer issue again.

BTW, I have heard there is a 3 piece CVO clutch rod that solves this problem, need to investigate further
Curious how you ride your bike, what I mean is how much time to you spend above 4K rpm?
It is interesting how some bikes show no signs of transfer and some have large amounts of transfer.
Harley has never let a CVO part to be sold without a CVO Vin number, so I doubt that will change, unless they do it under cover in the dealership

I hope this gets figured out, as Iam getting the new bike bug and I know what kind of luck I have

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did my own 1K service a few wks. ago,I measured the oil I drained out of my Trans.Was all there,nothing came out when I popped the Derby cover,Everything was good wanted to make sure.What I have seen this Migration problem is a minority To the amount of M8s sold.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Curious how you ride your bike, what I mean is how much time to you spend above 4K rpm?
It is interesting how some bikes show no signs of transfer and some have large amounts of transfer.
Harley has never let a CVO part to be sold without a CVO Vin number, so I doubt that will change, unless they do it under cover in the dealership

I hope this gets figured out, as Iam getting the new bike bug and I know what kind of luck I have
Good point. I hit about 6k a few times a week racing or just getting to 100mph as quickly as I can. Maybe it's the high RPMs doing it

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
I always think the same thing when I here about this issue. Except for maybe entering a highway, I rarely go above 5K. I know a lot of people who get this issue say they like to ride a lot near the redline.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Good point. I hit about 6k a few times a week racing or just getting to 100mph as quickly as I can. Maybe it's the high RPMs doing it

From what I’ve heard, that’s exactly what causes it. My buddy has an M8 SG, has no problems with it around town. Has big problems on trips where he’s running 80-100 mph on the interstate for long periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts

I spend very little time over 4k rpm, my problem occurred after my 1000 mile service , at 3200 miles my transmission dipstick was showing NO oil.

Its a new bike, I do not ride the ass out of it.

I too have been following the thread on the HDForums.com (The fix is in) and if the problem comes back and HD cannot solve it then I will install 'the fix' when my warranty expires.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Harley has never let a CVO part to be sold without a CVO Vin number, so I doubt that will change, unless they do it under cover in the dealership.
I think this is mostly on visable CVO stuff like paint, emblems, CVO Key etc....

I've never had an issue buying internal parts. Plenty of guys here have bought the TBW harness that doesn't have the green plug when doing a bar swap. I don't think they would ask for a VIN for that part.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
745 Posts
Some CVO items are vin protected some aren't. I bought the 2018 CVO derby cover and breather emblem for my bike. They are 117"cubic inch items new for 2018 CVO, but they are not vin protected.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts