Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Road Glide no engine work. Drained transmission yesterday, not primary. Fluid was "red" in color. The HD specific transmission lube that matched the part number in my owners manual, purchased at dealer is more like motor oil, more of a golden color. Is this going to cause future issues with seals/gaskets? I am not original owner so this was not expected.
What's your opinion, should I drain the gold and try to find some red tranny fluid? Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Previous owner probably put Redline tranny fluid in it and you are fine with what you have. Redline is a great fluid to use but no need to switch back to it until the next time you have to change it. If you so choose....

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Don't freak out if/when you change your primary if it's red too.

Least ya be able to see the fluid
level with a little tint

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
HD recommended 20 w 50 syn 3 in the trans for that year model, the Red line is a much better trans fluid then the syn 3 is. I always used Mobil 1 or Valvoline 75 w 90 or 75 w 140 full synthetic gear oil in the trans on my 08.

Reactions: Redfish Joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
HD recommended 20 w 50 syn 3 in the trans for that year model, the Red line is a much better trans fluid then the syn 3 is. I always used Mobil 1 or Valvoline 75 w 90 or 75 w 140 full synthetic gear oil in the trans on my 08.
I have to in all of mine.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I was using Amsoil 75-140 and it was good oil but i could still hear the transmission rattle. Easy to go into neutral and shifted fine. I went ahead and replaced it with Redline v-twin transmission oil and it is a lot more quite than the Amsoil was, just passing on what i observed.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Sure Iam not the only gritty grease ground drainer oil smudgin slick dick on this site ~¤ or knock on steady Eddies head, pound a tranny's bottom or even it's carved in soap that any spevific major Lubricants marketed to today's standards will fail your MC even in extreme conditions (not withstandin g inferior mechanical components)

use to swear by, defying the 'biker gods' Golden Spectro on previous RK, why? My bikes before '94, though a lot less milage (distance running) were ran with Flag oil or the cheapest to find.
Those bikes were know high wear, and that they did, quality lubes were just were just the fat on the bacon.

Not gonna Bragg bout proven milage owned from new '03 Flt & '05 Flh, but their longivity reveals with just plain ol of the shelves HD
Spit

Hum, need to patent 'touch screen bandaides'

·
Registered
483 Posts
+1 more for Red Line Shock Proof for the trany. Long time user of Red Line in all 3 holes on all 5 of my Harleys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts