Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drained the tranny today in preparation for a country-wide trip. Filled the empty quart to about 25 ounces and was awfully suspicious if it migrated to the primary. Popped the derby cover and it just poured out. I was under the impression that this was resolved on the newest M8s with the primary vent. I guess it’s still an issue. I should have been more vigilant in checking my dip stick, but this shouldn’t be happening. I’m about to take it to Moonshine Harley for an engine build, so maybe I’ll ask them what’s up before I take the trip south. Hopefully they have a solution or can do some warranty work if needed. Any ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
is that the first time that you've had the derby cover off? if it is, then you don't really have a baseline to work from. fill it to where you know the levels are supposed to be, then monitor it from there. if your primary is overfull again, you'll know that it is indeed migrating over.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that the first time that you've had the derby cover off? if it is, then you don't really have a baseline to work from. fill it to where you know the levels are supposed to be, then monitor it from there. if your primary is overfull again, you'll know that it is indeed migrating over.
No, I changed all 3 myself in June at 6,000 and the derby came off at the dealership for the 1,000-mile service. I’ve been doing my own changes since. I didn’t have a big spillover last time. I’m over 19k now and wanted to put fresh transmission fluid in before I go on a 5k mile trip. I wasn’t going to do the oil and primary because that’s getting done in the beginning of November when I do an engine and primary build. Plus I have another 1,200 left before the next oil change.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
No, I changed all 3 myself in June at 6,000 and the derby came off at the dealership for the 1,000-mile service. I’ve been doing my own changes since. I didn’t have a big spillover last time. I’m over 19k now and wanted to put fresh transmission fluid in before I go on a 5k mile trip. I wasn’t going to do the oil and primary because that’s getting done in the beginning of November when I do an engine and primary build. Plus I have another 1,200 left before the next oil change.
okay, so you have a baseline to work with already then. well, while it's still under warranty, see what the dealer says. i wouldn't put off your trip though, and just monitory your oil now and then while you're on the road.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I'm scratching my head on this one. How many ounces in the tranny to consider full?

If 25 oz came out why would the primary pour out? The primary has a pretty large surface area for a few oz to raise the level where it pours out. Mmm.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm scratching my head on this one. How many ounces in the tranny to consider full?

If 25 oz came out why would the primary pour out? The primary has a pretty large surface area for a few oz to raise the level where it pours out. Mmm.
Should hold close to 32oz give or take.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I noticed transfer on my 19 when I did my 500 mile service. Was not expecting it that soon for sure. I did the fat clutch rod and have had no transfer now at over 10k miles

·
Super Moderator
4,433 Posts
Yep. This ones a head scratcher. Keep us informed on what you find out.

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,067 Posts
I noticed transfer on my 19 when I did my 500 mile service. Was not expecting it that soon for sure. I did the fat clutch rod and have had no transfer now at over 10k miles
I pulled my cover off my 19 at a couple hundred miles to see. And yep. It poured out. Had it fixed at 500 miles.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to Moonshine, they have a solution. So I just need to drain my primary and change the fluid and they’re fixing it when I get the build done in a couple weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts