Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running Amsoil 75w-110 full synthetic in the trans, I see that my dealer now carries V-twin full synthetic 110, wondering if that would be kinda on the thick side for the early spring and fall up hear in the North east, anyone running straight 110 synthetic?

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
Trans oil viscosity ratings are different than motor oil , it is lighter ( thinner ) .. IOW a 75w viscosity trans oil is not as think as a 75w motor oil . I wouldn't worry about it . .. And do use a multi viscosity ..
I have used the Harley oil , Redline and Belray , actually like BelRay the best myself .. But thats neither here nor there ..

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use Amsoil 75-140 in the transmission and it works great. Been using it almost since owning the bike. I will use it again when it's time to change it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If you can run Syn3 in a cruise drive, you can run just about anything in there.

Personally on the older ones I like Redline with Shockproof. On the M8's I'm inclined to stick with the Formula+ it came with. Since there is a chance that some of it could end up in the primary.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
I also use BelRay Big Twin Transmission Oil in My 2012 Custom and really like it. I changed from Redline Shock Proof and am very pleased.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
I run the AMSOIL V-Twin Transmission Fluid in mine, it works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I've used 75 w 140 full synthetic gear lube in the trans either Mobil 1 or Valvoline in my 08 since the bike was new and I haven't had any transmission problems yet and the bike has over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty much what I thought as well, since new I have always run Amsoil 75w-110 and will continue to, I definitely would not run Syn 3, thay stuff is crap IMO, too many horror stories as well of bearing damage, gear lube like Amsoil is the way you go.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
There are probably as many opinions on this as there are for what engine oil to use. I've run everything from Syn3 to Redline with Shockproof to different brands and weights of gear oil. They ALL work and I haven't seen any real proof that any of them are a cause of any kind of failure when something does. The gear oils do seem to help make the shifting quitter but there are some mechanics that say it's not the best to use because of the bearings. If bearing failure is my biggest concern then gear oil would not be my first choice. I would be using something that is formulated by whatever manufacturer for Vtwin transmissions weather it be Amsoil, Belray, Redline, or even the HD Formula+. If you don't like Syn3 that's fine but there have been some members on here that have sent it in for their own independent testing and it tested just fine as far as an engine oil. Haven't seen any testing in a tranny. I don't believe that if the fluid makes the transmission sound quieter for shifting that it automatically makes it a better fluid for the longevity of the parts. Even if I like the sound better it doesn't make it a full proof test of how good it is actually working to prevent any kind of premature wear on the gears, slider dogs/forks or bearings.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Transmission in the HD is basically a gear box just like in the auto and truck field, I would definitely not recommend syn 3, way too thin for gears, that's based on science, gear oil 75W- 110 is recommended by amsoil as well as other companies, way better option, most of the the transmission bearing failures are due to lack of lubrication, regular oil doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Understand that I'm not advocating one lube over the other as I am just stating there are various choices depending on what your theory is. What I don't understand is that how a 20w/50 engine oil can be the best for bearings everywhere else in the engine but will not cut it for the bearings in the transmission. I get wanting to use the gear lube because of the gears, that would seem to be a no-brainer, but is a straight gear lube adequate for the bearings? I just looked up what Amsoil suggest for the V-twin (I did a search by vehicle and selected a 13' FLTRX) and no where did I find 75w-110 in their results. They suggest their 20w/50 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil or their Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid. Now I'm not pushing their product and I am just stating what comes up on their site. My whole point hear is not to argue or convince any one fluid is better or worse than the other just that there is more to consider than just the gears when selecting a fluid. I have a friend that has more than 120k on a 2012 Ultra Classic and he has ONLY used Syn3 in the tranny with no issues. I also know people that have used primarily gear lube and have had the dreaded bearing failure at under 50k miles. I have personally used gear lube for more than 70k in a bike and never experienced any problems. These days I will just stick to Formula+ or the Amsoil Syn Trans Fluid. Others that are designed for V-Twin trans are fine too. That doesn't mean that I would worry about putting a gear lube in my transmission. It only means I have tried them all and I have decided to just stick to that type of fluid for now. If someone doesn't like Syn3 that is fine. There are plenty of choices that they can rock in their tranny.

BTW... If anyone has some proven data that a particular fluid IS the cause of any type of HD transmission failure please post it. I have only seen theories, some I can buy into and some not so much but still they were only theories or opinions.

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/motorcycle/2013/harley-davidson/fltrx-road-glide-custom/1690-(103-ci)/us-volume/

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Another oil thread. Gear lube and engine oil are rated different so 20/50 and the gear lube you use are about the same. You can run F+. 20/50 standard oil or syn. you can run Redline , belray or any other you wish in the end it will make no difference what so ever. Many have put over 100,000 on these gear boxes running F+. Comes down to what helps you sleep at night.
With 3 bikes I gave up, 1996 EVO, 2015 Street and the 2017 RGU I went M1 20/50 all 3 all bikes one lube to deal with. Long term bet they won't care on bit. The Street is one of those you pull one plug and dump oil in so simple. No Syn will not destroy the clutch.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear ya totally understand and respect your point of view, I spoke to amsoil rep directly a while back and this was recommended to me because 2011, also my dealer where I bought my bike from , maroneys in Newberg NY, owned by Teds cycle, the tech there has last knowledge and he recommended this as well, formula + is good stuff it's about 80 wieght oil, 75w110 starts out thinner and as it heats up becomes more like 110, actually protects better on cold start up than regular formula + , but I hear run what you like, but motor oil to me is on the thin side, after 30 years as a technician in the auto and truck field, as well as working on motorcycles I have seen people run pretty much everything but the majority of people that I have run across as well as a good indy shop I am friends with they all frown upon motor oil in the transmission. But I understand your point, which is a very good one.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And also Amsoil did change there product listing on Harley transmission fluids because they have a specific fluid now for trans with no viscosity rating, I think it's just another version of formula + but synthetic, they used to have 75W-110 severe gear listed.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
"75w110 starts out thinner and as it heats up becomes more like 110, actually protects better on cold start up than regular formula + , but I hear run what you like, but motor oil to me is on the thin side,"
All dual weight motor oils have molecules that expand as they heat up making them a higher viscosity hence the reason they are dual weight. Yes it is true that motor oils are of less viscosity than gear oils but these transmissions do not have even have close to the load of a diesel truck so is thinner a bad thing in this application? I can't scientifically answer that but I do know that the MoCo recommends either the Syn3 or Formula+ and they wouldn't do that if either of those were proven to cause premature failure and they had to pay out in warranty claims. Who knows? Maybe they would. Lol!

Just as an FYI, the Amsoil VTwin Trans Fluid properties are:

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES AMSOIL Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid (MVT)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) ......................20.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) .......................190.3
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) .............................................127 Pour Point, °C (°F)
(ASTM D97) ......................................................................-40 (-40) Flash Point, °C (°F)
(ASTM D92) .....................................................................228 (442) Fire Point, ºC (ºF)
(ASTM D92) ......................................................................242 (468) Four-Ball Wear Test
(ASTM D4172 @ 40 kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr), Scar, mm .....................0.55
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D5800) .........................8.43
Foam (ASTM D892, Sequence I, II & III) ................................................0/0/0

I post this as an example, not to advocate it. It is the information you would want to try and understand & compare between the different types of fluids to make an educated choice. If you really care about the nuts and bolts of it that is. If not, just run want and ride on.

***I apologize for not being able to find the Tech Properties of the Crisco as a comparison. I'll keep looking while I finish my MM Cask Strength that I just happen to be sipping on at 1030 in the morning. Don't judge me....>:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts