Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a better replacement bearing than OEM? And is it possible to change out this bearing without buying all the expensive tools. I'm not talking about the inner primary bearing, already changed that. I plan on installing a new bearing because of a loud noise coming from the clutch basket area. I have a stethoscope and it is loud in this area with clutch in or out. It's even noisy in neutral.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Are you leaking gear oil ? I have the tools to change the bearing, I don't know your location to loan them to you.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you leaking gear oil ? I have the tools to change the bearing, I don't know your location to loan them to you.
Not leaking any oil just sounds like a bearing noise. Road-dawgs1, i am aware of the baker bearing and would like to use their product but it's $600 and you still have to buy the tools. My bike is a 2013 RGC and i'm hoping to upgrade to a newer bike in the near future and would rather sink the money in the newer one. Just trying to keep this one going until i upgrade. FDR;s RGC i live in Perdido Beach Alabama and wouldn't mind borrowing your tools to put a new bearing in. I plan on fixing it as soon as i get tools, so i would not have them long if they fit my bike. That pulley nut tool is pretty expensive for a one time use not to mention the bearing remove/install tool. I appreciate you guy's help.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Can it be done without all the specialty tools, yes - using a few cheats - I did it on my 10 ... However it is a rather tedious bitch to do that way.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Well sound does travel so make sure that's the problem. How does the bike start ? Is there any grinding or starter stall when trying to start the bike when hot? If so that would indicate a compensator issue, Has the compensator ever been serviced? I've chased noises with a stethoscope before and could hear noises on one side of the engine when the source was actually on the opposite side. I've used Full synthetic gear lube 75 w 90 or 75 w 140 in my 08 since it was new and with over a 100,000 miles the tranny is still doing great. Good luck I hope you fix the bike soon.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well sound does travel so make sure that's the problem. How does the bike start ? Is there any grinding or starter stall when trying to start the bike when hot? If so that would indicate a compensator issue, Has the compensator ever been serviced? I've chased noises with a stethoscope before and could hear noises on one side of the engine when the source was actually on the opposite side. I've used Full synthetic gear lube 75 w 90 or 75 w 140 in my 08 since it was new and with over a 100,000 miles the tranny is still doing great. Good luck I hope you fix the bike soon.
I have rechecked the compensator a couple of times and re-adjusted the chain for good measure also. I have the Baker comp and bad attitude chain adjuster and it has worked great ever since i installed it. I've replaced the inner primary bearing and race about 3 months ago. The bike starts and runs fine, just has a loud bearing noise from the left side while it's running. Transmission shifts great like always. I think my transmission itself is still good to go. The noise started right after i installed the new inner primary bearing and race, i used All Balls race and bearing. Maybe i got a bad bearing from All Balls.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I switched to a 2007 sealed inner bearing after 2 failed bearings and inner race. Fit perfectly and been there for 30k plus. Eliminated some noise also. I swear mine gonna blow anytime soon,but 40k with a FM 107 kit and cams it's still spanking anything around here. Adding nitrous now. 2010 with 106k on it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The bike starts and runs fine, just has a loud bearing noise from the left side while it's running. Transmission shifts great like always. I think my transmission itself is still good to go. The noise started right after i installed the new inner primary bearing and race, i used All Balls race and bearing.
FWIW if you're getting "bearing noise while the bike is running" but in neutral, that main output gear/bearing isn't even moving/turning at that point ... so it can't be the issue.

Now if that inner primary bearing race isn't in the right place...that can make for a bit of commotion..

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW if you're getting "bearing noise while the bike is running" but in neutral, that main output gear/bearing isn't even moving/turning at that point ... so it can't be the issue.

Now if that inner primary bearing race isn't in the right place...that can make for a bit of commotion..
Thank you, iv'e wondered if that main bearing turns all the time or not. Now i believe i may have gotten a faulty primary bearing from All Balls. I will go back with the stock primary bearing and see if that's my problem.

Thank you to FDR for offering the loan of the tools i thought i needed, it was a very kind offer and i appreciate it, but i'll try a new primary bearing first to see if it's my problem. Thanks again for the help and info i needed, you guys know your stuff.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I switched to a 2007 sealed inner bearing after 2 failed bearings and inner race. Fit perfectly and been there for 30k plus. Eliminated some noise also. I swear mine gonna blow anytime soon,but 40k with a FM 107 kit and cams it's still spanking anything around here. Adding nitrous now. 2010 with 106k on it.
I'll check on that 07 sealed bearing for my 13. If it works in your 2010 it might work in mine.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
The inner primary bearing is a good place to look at because the noise didn't start until that bearing was replaced. Did you replace the clutch hub bearing?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The inner primary bearing is a good place to look at because the noise didn't start until that bearing was replaced. Did you replace the clutch hub bearing?
No, i didn't, just the inner primary bearing and seal.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Never heard of one of those bearings announcing its failure with anything other than a lube leak.

I would do some careful diagnostic work before I push the main drive gear out.

Clutch bearing will only make noise when the clutch is pulled.

Primary bearings can be noisy and not show wear. New roller bearing on an old inner race is going to be loud.

After the primary is off, and the drive belt tension released, you can check the drive gear for movement. And you can pop the seal out and inspect it with the mk1 eyeball.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Very good point, according to the 2010 service manual the bearing race should be 0.100“ to 0.125” from the main drive gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts