Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say that yes I know Harley transmissions have the clunk.... now that's out of the way I recently purchased a 13 RG with 6k miles and the transmission clunk seems to be much more than my other harleys. I had a 11 WG with the 6 speed but other than that all by other bikes where 5 speeds. The bike has F+ in the transmission right now. Maybe this is normal in the newer transmissions or something I should be concerned with??

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
First off let me say that yes I know Harley transmissions have the clunk.... now that's out of the way I recently purchased a 13 RG with 6k miles and the transmission clunk seems to be much more than my other harleys. I had a 11 WG with the 6 speed but other than that all by other bikes where 5 speeds. The bike has F+ in the transmission right now. Maybe this is normal in the newer transmissions or something I should be concerned with??
Change the fluid to redline with shockproof.

Amazon.com: Red Line 42804 V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof Fluid - 1 Quart: Automotive

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Leave the F+ in it check clutch adjustment and primary lube.
The so called clunk is more about primary and cultch than gear box.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bike just had 6k mile service complete at HD dealership so I would think the primary lube and clutch adjustment is good. It hasn't worsened any since the service 500 miles ago but then again who knows!?!?!

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I use Harley trans/primary oil in the primary but I use Mobil 1 or Valvoline 75w140 gear lube in the transmission. Don't use engine oil in the transmission use gear lube.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about switching to that 75w 140 in the tranny. Just wanted to be sure that it was safe to run in these newer transmissions. I ran 75w 140 gear lube and Redline shockproof in my older softails with the 5 speeds.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I'm thinking about switching to that 75w 140 in the tranny. Just wanted to be sure that it was safe to run in these newer transmissions. I ran 75w 140 gear lube and Redline shockproof in my older softails with the 5 speeds.
I been running red line in my 2010 since new , heavy gear oil and Vtwin trans oil. If I lived up north I might use the light gear oil. Not sure what viscosity their Vtwin trans oil is.
Been using Red Line heavy in shovels, Evo's and Twin cams for over 25 years with out fail.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts

The 6 speed isn't what I would consider a newer style transmission, the 6 speed trans has been in the touring model Harleys since 2007 (9 years) and in the Dyna,s since 2006 (10 years)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ironmark, I'm well aware of how long the 6 speed transmisson has been out.... what I didn't know was if any changes have been made to it that what be affected by different lubes/oil

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Ironmark, I'm well aware of how long the 6 speed transmisson has been out.... what I didn't know was if any changes have been made to it that what be affected by different lubes/oil
Beside putting in the 6th gear in the transmissions the 5 and 6 speeds are basicly the same gear box, gear lube should be put in both the 5 and 6 speed transmissions IMO

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I use Harley trans/primary oil in the primary but I use Mobil 1 or Valvoline 75w140 gear lube in the transmission. Don't use engine oil in the transmission use gear lube.
+1 , put some good lube in that Trans. I personally like redline but most places don't carry it so you might have to order it. Mobil 1 you can get anywhere.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Beside putting in the 6th gear in the transmissions the 5 and 6 speeds are basicly the same gear box, gear lube should be put in both the 5 and 6 speed transmissions IMO
Don't forget about them 4 speeds and the new 7 speeds. :confused:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I just changed over from mobil one to amsoil during a service..shifts way smoother..although it could be from a clutch adjust too..but N is way easier and the clunk is less..

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just took my 13RG into HD last week for my first oil change since buying the bike. Ever since I find the clunk is harder and louder, and finding Neutral is harder. Could this all be due to the oil they put in the tranny? I don't like it, that's for sure. I have no idea what they put in, I'll ask them today when I go to the shop.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I just took my 13RG into HD last week for my first oil change since buying the bike. Ever since I find the clunk is harder and louder, and finding Neutral is harder. Could this all be due to the oil they put in the tranny? I don't like it, that's for sure. I have no idea what they put in, I'll ask them today when I go to the shop.
The clunk in normal in the trans and you shouldn't worry about it much . HD puts 20w50 syn3 engine oil in the trans because that is what the MOCO recommends.
By changing to a full synthetic 75w90 or 75w140 gear lube there will still be a clunk but it may be a little quieter but it will be easier to shift the trans and neutral will be easier to find.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Clutches are supposed to be adjusted cold, the question is do many HD dealerships service depts. do this? Knowing the oil will be thick when cold I let the primary oil drain over night and do the adjustment the next morning. Right now my primary only clunks on first shift of the day and is relatively quiet during all other shifting. I back the pushrod out between 1/2-3/4 turn.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put some bel ray gear saver 85-140 in my transmission and love the way it shifts now. Not to mention it's much more quite

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have access to a service manual for the Road Glide or google videos on youtube on how to adjust the clutch then watch the video. I've found that starting my RG with the clutch pulled in and in neutral minimizes the clunk at times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts