Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bad noise problem on my 05 glide(57k) and i'm wondering if anyone else has had the same thing. I am getting a metal to metal sound coming from my transmission or primary (can't pinpoint where). I can't tell if it's the tranny or main bearing or whatever. Anyone else ever had this problem? Don't want to tear into it till i know what i'm getting into. I have no problem getting in there to fix it , it's just all those specialty tools you have to buy just to get it apart.

Sure would love any help i can get. Staush

·
Registered
250 Posts
Throw the bike on a lift (tie it down), open up the primary inspection cover and have a look/hear see. Take the drain plug out of both and see whats sticking to the magnet.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
transmission

Done that and have found some 1/4/" filings. Not normal. I guess i'm looking for some kind of confirmation of my problem before i cough up $300.00 for the tools to do the job. Everything is pointing to the main bearing from tranny to primary. I'll keep digging. Thanks

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
When was the last time you inspected and adjusted the primary chain. The chain tensioner shoes could be worn out and that would cause metal to metal sound.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
When was the last time you inspected and adjusted the primary chain. The chain tensioner shoes could be worn out and that would cause metal to metal sound.
+1.......I'd look at the tentioner.........While inspecting check the inner Chain to if any damage......

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tranny problems

Been there , done that, chain looks good, tensioner shoe(auto type) is wore .010" in 50,000 miles. Pulled and it looks good. Has anyone changed the main drive bearing on thier bike? If so, do you have the tools to do the job? Want to sell me the tools? Harley wants $1400.00 to change the bearing plus if the race is bad would need a new case,more$$$$. That.s why i'll do it myself if i can get the tools at a decent price.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
If you have to do work on the tranny you may want to consider doing the 6 speed upgrade. I have a 08 and I love the 6 speed tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts