Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and yes I hit the search feature first:D

so my 2011 has 19k on her. it seems the tranny is getting louder.
appears to be running fine, shifting fine but at speeds after running a while, the tranny gets louder and almost like a loud popping/clicking noise.
has standard oil from the dealer in it and I have the redline sitting on the shelf as 20k is time to change it.warranty runs out in august.
is it normal for it to get louder as the fluid is nearing its end?
I am asking now before taking it to the dealer for maybe someone has had this issue in the past.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
If it's under warranty, take it in and let them check it out. Keep the paper work for your records.

·
Administrator
10,502 Posts
no it's not normal :eek:

and I wouldn't wait till 20K to change it , just changed mine with 15K on it and it looked awful ..

I change my primary and trans every motor change , with that one exception , oil is cheep

JtB

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I would take it in and have the dealer change the trans fluid that way the tech can see how much metal shavings are on the drain plug and if any chunks of metal come out. If you do the oil change before you take it in there may not be any metal in the oil when the tech drains it.
Should of been using gear lube instead of motor oil in that trans.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well got the call from the stealer today. they rode it for a total of 50 miles and everything sounds fine. no issues. great. now you owe me 50.00 for your deductible plus 47.80 for 1/2 hour labor and 8.00 for shop stuff.
fortunately the owner of the dealer was there so I took the receipt to her for an explanation as I was told they only thing they did was ride it.
we walked back to the service guy and she asked why the 47.50 and 8.00.
well we have to pay the tech for his time and he had to wash his hands before getting on the bike and he wiped it down when he was done.
I paid the deductible and left.
tomorrow the redline and mobil 1 will be put in.

on another note the 2015 rg cvo is sweet looking at 40.524.00:eek:

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Glad to hear that the tech thinks it is OK! You should consider using 75w90 or 75w140 gear lube in the transmission. I use 75w140 in the summer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Its unfortunate but the techs at my local Harley shop all having hearing problems? Might be part of the requirement?
You will be surprised what good oil will do,

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
If your putting in Red line shock proof , your going to be surprised at how it alone, quiets the gears .

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Glad to hear that the tech thinks it is OK! You should consider using 75w90 or 75w140 gear lube in the transmission. I use 75w140 in the summer.
+1 on the gear oil. My 09 has the hereditary 5th gear whine but since I changed to gear oil it's much much quieter

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so changed all 3 oils this morning. was surprised to find all 3 drain plugs basically finger tight with pipe tape on them and all 3 gaskets were basically gone. :(
1 screw on the primary cover was so tight I actually broke the t27 bit and had to send the wife to pep boys for another. its amazing what a torque wrench can do for you.:rolleyes:
15ft lbs on the 3 plugs and 84 inch lbs on the primary screws.

wife and I jumped on for a quick ride before the showers hit and we both were happy with the quietness.:).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts