Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm far from home, and my transmission fluid is low. I have more oil (Amsoil 75w-90) but my problem is I called 4 different places (3 dealers and 1 independent) and got 4 DIFFERENT ANSWERS! Can someone please tell me for certain the CORRECT way to service the 6-speed in my 08 R.G.???

1) Hot or Cold?
2) On the Kickstand or Vertical?
3) Dipstick Threaded In, or Resting ON the Threads?

I have an 850 mile ride to get home Monday/Tuesday, and I really don't want to mess up my Trans my over/under servicing.

HELP!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
On my 13 it is park on level surface and on jiffy stand.Thread dipstick in until o-ring touches case and then check on dipstick. Doesn't specify hot or cold. Cannot verify if this is the same on an 08.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If you got 4 different answers from 3 dealers and 1 independent, I'd say someone needs more training in their service departments. Let us know, based on the accurate information you received here, which dealer/independent had the correct answer for you...if any!

And to add one more thing...it is better to be a little low than to have too much because once that oil gets heated up, if you have too much bad things can happen.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tranny fluid

If your not sure on how to check it, how do you know it's low? (side stand is what you want, resting on threads). Unless you know you have a leak I don't think it's low unless not enough was put in at last service. I've never had tranny fluid change levels between changes, there is nowhere that it can go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you got 4 different answers from 3 dealers and 1 independent, I'd say someone needs more training in their service departments. Let us know, based on the accurate information you received here, which dealer/independent had the correct answer for you...if any!

And to add one more thing...it is better to be a little low than to have too much because once that oil gets heated up, if you have too much bad things can happen.
The indy & the nearest dealer here in Idaho said dipstick threaded IN.
The Dealer I bought my Glide from from in Colorado was correct.
The Dealer nearest me in Colorado said the bike should be VERTICAL. :eek:

Yeah, I did over-service it. I had to get creative & used two drink straws to draw oil back out.

Now I need to decide if I should find some Amsoil 20w-50 before I leave as my engine is 1/4 quart low.

By the way, Thanks for the help everybody!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your not sure on how to check it, how do you know it's low? (side stand is what you want, resting on threads). Unless you know you have a leak I don't think it's low unless not enough was put in at last service. I've never had tranny fluid change levels between changes, there is nowhere that it can go.
On the side stand, warmed up, it was at the bottom of the dip stick threaded in, and off the end resting on the threads. I just had it serviced about a month ago. (Under-serviced I hope) Shame on ME for not checking in before I left town...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The indy & the nearest dealer here in Idaho said dipstick threaded IN.
The Dealer I bought my Glide from from in Colorado was correct.
The Dealer nearest me in Colorado said the bike should be VERTICAL. :eek:

Yeah, I did over-service it. I had to get creative & used two drink straws to draw oil back out.

Now I need to decide if I should find some Amsoil 20w-50 before I leave as my engine is 1/4 quart low.

By the way, Thanks for the help everybody!
I would check the engine oil again before I put more in. REALLY bad things happen when you have too much engine oil!

·
Registered
593 Posts
trans. fluid

You should run engine at 1/2 quart low. This prevents blowby thru air filter. If trans isn't showing on dipstick add 4oz. at the most till it shows. little low is fine. A little high is NOT fine. Too much fluid and it foams and doesn't lube.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
You should run engine at 1/2 quart low. This prevents blowby thru air filter
now, it really depends on what you are considering 'low'. to some people, a 1/2 qt low means 1/2 qt below the bottom (add) mark on the dipstick. while to others it means 1/2 qt below the top (full) mark. what is important to note is that on the dipstick, there is a range marked. anything in that range is considered to be fine. its when you get below the 'add' mark that you start to have problems.

and yes, i've always run my oil in the middle of the operating range (or 1/2 qt below the top mark) for the reason that staush mentioned.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts