Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong location, I didn't see a transmission section.

So this is my first Harley. It's a 98 RG, with 30-40k miles to the best of my knowledge. I just had it at my independent mechanic for a once over, state inspection, etc. He said the tranny fluid was very dirty and should be changed again very soon. I'm having a heck of a time getting it into neutral. I've also had a few "miss-shifts", where it acts like I'm between gears and in neutral (but not between 1st and 2nd). Also I can hear a decently loud wining when I'm in 4th gear only. Are these all signs that my tranny is about to shit the bed? How much is a new tranny?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would change all the fluids, oil, primary, tranny to start with, harleys are notoriously hard to get into neutral sometimes especially if the bike is not moving.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I have never seen trans oil actually look dirty. If it does, then change it. Change it with a good gear oil like RedLine or BelRay gear saver. Just doing that might make things smoother.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
^^^What PGR said^^^

I use Mobil 1 75w140 or Valvoline 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in the tranny and you get get either one at Autozone. The other products mention will work good too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I'll look into the clutch adjustment. Just to be clear, my mechanic DID change the tranny oil (and primary and engine). He said it was very dirty so I should change it again soon to get more of the dirt out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks guys I'll look into the clutch adjustment. Just to be clear, my mechanic DID change the tranny oil (and primary and engine). He said it was very dirty so I should change it again soon to get more of the dirt out.
It would have been nice to send a sample out for analysis. Lots of metals? Time for a tear down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts