Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Going to Sturgis this year from Jersey. Thinking about Hwy 20 Across Iowa and Hwy 44 Across South Dakota, or should I stick with interstates. It looks like you can still make good time on Secondary Highways. Just Looking for suggestions. Plan on staying in Motels, Hotels, etc.
Thanks T-Bone

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hwy 20 is about 15mi north of my house, i believe its all 4 lane across the whole state now, either interstate or limited access 4 lane. Our roads in iowa arent horrible, but the do have their moments. I can te you that hwy from dubuqie to waterloo is ok, cant promise anything beyond that.

·
Registered
988 Posts
44 in South Dakota is a good road. Not much traffic. You can make good time if you need to. Not a lot of gas the closer you get to Rapid City so keep it topped off. Keep an eye out for pheasants and suicidal grass hoppers near Winner SD.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A lot of people find So Dak boring so they do the interstate. Keep in mind that being from Minnesota a lot of people have crossed it many times.
I love the open, rolling hills and flatland so I mix it up.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I'm Going to Sturgis this year from Jersey. Thinking about Hwy 20 Across Iowa and Hwy 44 Across South Dakota, or should I stick with interstates./QUOTE]

Neither. Take 15 north from St. George, UT after Shark Week and 80 east in Salt Lake City. 220 in Wyoming will get to you 90 and you're there!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Take Interstates until your bored, then grab any 2 lane going thru farm country and have at it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i would take route 24 across, its more south furher away from chicago.then 74 towards the north,take 80 west,or go further north and get 20 there.get 29 north either way to 44 just below sioux falls and hit it.I have been told that 24 is a great ride out. I will find out soon, we are headed that way in july to colorado. I do know that 44 is a fine alternative to 90, I have ridden that back from sturgis. An added plus it dumps right into the middle of the bad lands as you get there. Not a better way to start!

Either way........enjoy its a great time and once you ride out there you wont desire anything else but to go back!

One other thing to remember.... helmets are like condoms...alot more fun to do it without one, and once you do it, you wont want to wear one again!

got to ride out there with no helmet at times because of the winds will blow your head of your shoulders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts