Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I have seen some inquires on the threads for SWIV about travelling through Canada for some of your trips.

I have pasted some links here with information from Canada Border Services. As with most government communication and websites the information is clear as mud.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp

Here also in a link to getting your US Passport for the first time.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

If you are going to travel beyond the US borders as a private citizen I really encourage you to apply for a passport

I hope these links help in your travel choices and make your passage through Canada on the way to SWIV easier.

These links will be part of the website that will be launched next year, lobbying for SharK Week to come to Canada in 2016, particularly, Calgary/Banff/Canmore.

I know it may be a pain in the ass to apply for passports and get the documents outlined above but we really have some beautiful places to see up here and tourism is a big part of our economy. If you have a less than a stellar past that is behind you (no judgments from me) I encourage you to get the wheels in motion and get the documentation in place to become eligible for entry into Canada. What we have planned so far will be spectacular and you won't want to miss it.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Atta boy Troy! Starting the campaign early, indeed! I like it! Go ahead and put me down as attending. Thanks for the links. Looks like I'll need to finally get a passport. All my other worldly travels had been at the behest of the US military. No passport needed!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would recommend getting the passport card for the extra $ 20-25 bucks. Much easier to use at boarder crossings.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Workman,

Is the passport card you mention, the NEXUS card?

I have been looking into the NEXUS card for myself and my immediate family. I travel to the US about 5-6 times a year on business and for holidays. I see folks using that line at the airport customs and they breeze right through while I am standing in the Disney like serpentine line up with all the other schmucks like me.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
These links will be part of the website that will be launched next year, lobbying for SharK Week to come to Canada in 2016, particularly, Calgary/Banff/Canmore.

..... If you have a less than a stellar past that is behind you (no judgments from me) I encourage you to get the wheels in motion and get the documentation in place to become eligible for entry into Canada. What we have planned so far will be spectacular and you won't want to miss it.

Calgaryglide
I still have sincere reservations about a Shark Week in Canada...

Americans, (including the lady rider at SWIII who shared her horror story,) are routinely surprised at being denied entry into Canada. ANYTHING that pops up on the computer will put you at the whim of a Canadian civil sevant---with no appeal.

You don't even need a conviction to be denied entry.

Domestic dispute where the cops were called?

A drug charge that was dropped?

You have to demonstrate to the Canadian authorities that you have been "rehabilitated", even without a conviction?

Start the paperwork and documentation two-and-one-half years in advance for a three-day event? Is that really reasonable, or are we just writing off these riders?
I think it's self-evident that the board membership was not recruited exclusively from the cast of "Mary Poppins," and we don't know who we would be voting to exclude.

I also have a concern with Canadian gun laws. (BTW, getting to Maine without violating some gun law is probably an issue for some.) Before SWIII, another rider and I prayed together for a safe trip....then each put a piece in his boot. I think we were prudent, not paranoid.

Canada is, by all accounts, spectacular...and the Canadian members of the board enjoy a high regard, which I share. But I'm not sure I could vote for a Canadian SW.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Workman,

I have been looking into the NEXUS card for myself and my immediate family. I travel to the US about 5-6 times a year on business and for holidays. I see folks using that line at the airport customs and they breeze right through while I am standing in the Disney like serpentine line up with all the other schmucks like me.

Calgaryglide
No I don't think so - it is a copy of the US passport in card format - looks a lot like a drivers license - I think there is a chip imbedded in it with all the personal data on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Outcast,

Thanks for your concerns regarding hosting SW in Canada.

The reality is I can put together a good presentation, a great website showing the awesome reasons to come to Canada but in the end it is the membership that travels to a previous SW event that votes.

If Calgary/Banff/Canmore does not get the votes in 2015 it won't happen. I'm not sure what other members will volunteer and submit for the same year but I am sure that the Texans will come back with a kickass presentation and maybe even the Pacific N.W.

It all boils down to the vote.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
45 Posts
I still have sincere reservations about a Shark Week in Canada...

Americans, (including the lady rider at SWIII who shared her horror story,) are routinely surprised at being denied entry into Canada. ANYTHING that pops up on the computer will put you at the whim of a Canadian civil sevant---with no appeal.

You don't even need a conviction to be denied entry.

Domestic dispute where the cops were called?

A drug charge that was dropped?

You have to demonstrate to the Canadian authorities that you have been "rehabilitated", even without a conviction?

Start the paperwork and documentation two-and-one-half years in advance for a three-day event? Is that really reasonable, or are we just writing off these riders?
I think it's self-evident that the board membership was not recruited exclusively from the cast of "Mary Poppins," and we don't know who we would be voting to exclude.

I also have a concern with Canadian gun laws. (BTW, getting to Maine without violating some gun law is probably an issue for some.) Before SWIII, another rider and I prayed together for a safe trip....then each put a piece in his boot. I think we were prudent, not paranoid.

Canada is, by all accounts, spectacular...and the Canadian members of the board enjoy a high regard, which I share. But I'm not sure I could vote for a Canadian SW.
Hi Outcast

I appreciate your concern about crossing the border, but we Canadians also have the same kind of hoops to jump through.
There was a recent news article about a Canadian woman that was denied entry based on a the fact she was hospitalized for clinical depression in June of 2012. She missed her flight to catch a cruise and lost all of her deposits.
I don't know what kind of threat the authorities were afraid she may pose, it's really all up to the person you happen to be in front of at the border crossing.

We all take a chance crossing the border, but we do it because we will not be intimidated by the off chance the we are denied entry.

I also share a high regard for our American neighbours.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi Outcast

I appreciate your concern about crossing the border, but we Canadians also have the same kind of hoops to jump through.
There was a recent news article about a Canadian woman that was denied entry based on a the fact she was hospitalized for clinical depression in June of 2012. She missed her flight to catch a cruise and lost all of her deposits.
I don't know what kind of threat the authorities were afraid she may pose, it's really all up to the person you happen to be in front of at the border crossing.

We all take a chance crossing the border, but we do it because we will not be intimidated by the off chance the we are denied entry.

I also share a high regard for our American neighbours.
I have no doubt the U.S. authorities present a comparable challenge. But with 99% (?) of the membership in the U.S., the numbers are in no way comparable.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Workman,

Calgaryglide
Troy, I have NEXUS. You gotta get it. I'm across 2 times a week though so, the time saved is huge. It can take quite awhile after the initial application. Git er Dunn. Also, the west coast will represent and help out when called upon for Shark Week In Canada. SWIC

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Hey I owe you a beer troy, these website links I'm going to steal for my thread since my tour is going on the northern/Canadian side of lake Erie.

I rode Highway 3 from Niagara Falls to Windsor. Not much to see, but pleasant. Flat, farmland. About 1/2 way thru the Cruise Control quit on me, rear brake light switch went out (pre-recall, of course). Got it fixed at Thunder Road HD, where the did a bang-up job. Even had the HD Demo Truck there, HOG Chapter cooking burgers, great stop. If you guys stop there, or Clare's in Niagara on the Lake, grab me a Poker Chip, will you?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I rode Highway 3 from Niagara Falls to Windsor. Not much to see, but pleasant. Flat, farmland. About 1/2 way thru the Cruise Control quit on me, rear brake light switch went out (pre-recall, of course). Got it fixed at Thunder Road HD, where the did a bang-up job. Even had the HD Demo Truck there, HOG Chapter cooking burgers, great stop. If you guys stop there, or Clare's in Niagara on the Lake, grab me a Poker Chip, will you?
Clares HD has their open house on Saturday I'll see what I can do

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good info, thanks. The only information I didn't find was what documentation was needed for our bikes. Registration and insurance only? A note from my mommy? Will I get hassled because of my aftermarket muffs? (I once rented a Heritage Classic in Ottawa and rode up in the Outaouais up north of Wakefield. As soon as we crossed the bridge into Gatineau we were stopped by Quebec cops and they used a straightened clothes hanger to determine if the mufflers were stock or not. It was and we had a great time.)

And frankly, the whole "I can't (or won't) go to Canada, so no one else should have fun without me" position is getting really tiresome. That point has been made ad nauseum and is valid only for a minority of RG.O folk. You say a huge majority of us are 'Murricans, but a huge majority also don't have any issues with travelling up north. I want to go to SWIV just so I can vote for the Canucks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
And frankly, the whole "I can't (or won't) go to Canada, so no one else should have fun without me" position is getting really tiresome. That point has been made ad nauseum and is valid only for a minority of RG.O folk. You say a huge majority of us are 'Murricans, but a huge majority also don't have any issues with travelling up north. I want to go to SWIV just so I can vote for the Canucks!
You've misinterpreted my position and then disparaged your own misinterpretation.

"I can, (and will,) go to Canada, and I' m confident it would be great fun for all who are able to gain entry. Some (unknown) number of members will not be able to gain entry. Accessability is a valid consideration when discussing SW locations." That's my position. The gun issue is valid for (another unknown) number of members.

I want to go to SWIV so that, among other adventures, I will have an opportunity to see Nova Scotia. I've been to Maine several times, but schedule constraints have previously denied me the scenic and historic experience this more northern area provides.

When a subject gets really tiresome, or ad nauseum, even thru my own misinterpretation, I usually just click it away. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nova Scotia

Outcast,

When in Nova Scotia check out the following;

-Lower Deck Pub, Halifax, you'll love it.
-Moosehead Brewing Co., Halifax
-Citadel Fort, Halifax
-The Halifax Explosion
-Peggy's Cove, barren and windswept but beautiful just the same.
-Antigonish (beautiful town)
-Ride the Cabot Trail around Cape Breton Island, fantastic views!

Things in New Brunswick (on the border with Maine) you should see:

Reversing falls
Bay of Fundy tidal flats and see the tide coming in
Magnetic Hill (real tourist trap but what the hell you're on vacation)

Prince Edward Island;
-Ride the confederation bridge if it is not too windy.
-Lobster supper! Fantastic.
-Anne of Green Gables

Come on up, we'd love to have you tour the Maritime Provinces and see the beautiful places we have to offer.

Regards,

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Outcast,

When in Nova Scotia check out the following;

-Lower Deck Pub, Halifax, you'll love it.
-Moosehead Brewing Co., Halifax
-Citadel Fort, Halifax
-The Halifax Explosion
-Peggy's Cove, barren and windswept but beautiful just the same.
-Antigonish (beautiful town)
-Ride the Cabot Trail around Cape Breton Island, fantastic views!

Things in New Brunswick (on the border with Maine) you should see:

Reversing falls
Bay of Fundy tidal flats and see the tide coming in
Magnetic Hill (real tourist trap but what the hell you're on vacation)

Prince Edward Island;
-Ride the confederation bridge if it is not too windy.
-Lobster supper! Fantastic.
-Anne of Green Gables

Come on up, we'd love to have you tour the Maritime Provinces and see the beautiful places we have to offer.

Regards,

Calgaryglide
Thank you, looking forward to the ride!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts