Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first off, what I have......
2012 Road Glide Custom, front 21" wheel, American suspension front end with progressive monotubes at full 2" drop. Rear will be lowered with 11.5" progressive 444s, at some point, whenever they get here :mad:

What I'm wanting to do......
Install a set of trike triple trees....why?....I'm wanting to kick the front wheel/fender out just a little bit, so it's not looking so "cramped" under the fairing. What I've seen is the trees move the front wheel out roughly 2" :D

I'm happy with the ride quality of my current setup, it rides nicer then it did from the factory and no I do not have any clearence issues. I'm wanting to kick the front out a bit solely for the look of it, think it would flow well with the bike.

My question is, has anyone done this?? Is anyone here a math/geometry wizard?? The swap itself would be straight forward and I don't have a question about it looking good, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a similar setup. I.E. inner fairing clearance, fork leg extensions, changes in handling, wobble, trailing numbers, etc

Hopefully this doesn't get turned into a thread about 23/26/30 wheels LOL

The "cramped" front end I want to strech out just a little...sorry for the shity not so current pictures....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Subscribed, would like to see if it has been done as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found a pic of the xxx trike with a 21. I know it has the batwing, but if you look at the distance from the fender to the frame it should give you a good idea of what it'll look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
When you move the front wheel out by increasing the rake, the front of your frame will drop a little. Be prepared to add an inch or maybe 2 back to your front forks. (giving you've dropped it 2 inches already)

Here's an article of adding Triglide trees to a trike.. the author purchased longer forks.. Says 1 and three quarters longer.. Hope this helps.
http://www.ultraboy.us/Harley Raked Triple Trees.pdf

·
Registered
671 Posts
Another thing to think about is the clearance on the inside of your fairing. I'd imagine you'll have to move your fairing forward (modify fairing mount) to give you proper clearance when handlebars are turned to max (right or left). There's not much room now.. the additional rake will cause forks to hit at bottom of fairing.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing.. Love the raked look.. Bagger Nation sells a modified fairing mount for their raked trees..

Looks like tjs529 has done Triglide trees on a 09 RoadGlide.. Might want to try and track him down..

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
As stated, you will have to add the longer TG tubes and sliders to maintain the proper height. Otherwise you will be dropping the front further and creating other clearance issues.

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input so far gentlemen, I do appreciate it!

The clearance on the inner fairing is the only current issue that I'm trying to work through in my head at the moment...Yeah, it hurts ....I think it would be a pretty easy fix by modifying the fairing mount, plus I'd like the move the fairing around a bit anyway :D LOL

As for running the trike fork legs......they are 1-3/4" longer and the fork leg extensions come in "-2" so I could go either way there. But, if I'm moving my fairing anyway, I could fix my clearence issues at that time...I would imagine. As stated I currently have the -2" monotubes in and think if I did the 11.5" 444s when they finally get here and run a 1" lowering block that would keep my trailer numbers pretty damn close to where they need to be. Anyone here a geometry guru?? LOL

For some it probably seems like a lot of work just to get a "look" but that what makes everyone's bike there own. I know it will look great, like it "should". I'm in to building a bike that when you look at and know something's different but you can't quite tell what it is :eek: Just looking to keep it handling like it does now, but with the look that I'm after........

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree with your idea that by dropping the rear, you'll level out the bike. The only thing you'll loose is ground clearance... and your kickstand will seem a little longer.. on it.. bike will not lean so much.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When going with the Trike triple trees are there any trail reduction issues that need to be addressed?
The stock touring setup has a trail of over 6", simply putting TG Trees and forks on decreases the trail to slightly under 4". Some say a better overall trail is achieved around 4". Raising the frontend with a 21" wheel while reducing the forks length by 2" should be trail neutral. While dropping the rear end by 1.5" should increase trail a little. My guestimate is the trail would end up slightly over 4" and there should be no problem at all as far as tank slap at high speed and handling at lower speeds should be better.

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CNMTurner......thanks for all your input!! I'm going to try and run a few numbers today. Ideally, in a perfect world, I would love to be able to leave to 2" drop up front along with my factory (FL) legs, install the trike trees, install the 11.5" shocks and 1" lowering kit, throw a wrap fender on it and ride the piss out of it.......that's in a perfect world :cool:

I can't believe that I'm the only one that has wanted to do this with a 21" LOL everyone throws a 21 on and goes, for some reason I always have to be "different" :)

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, now that my brain hurts.......even more than normal. This is where I'm currently at with this, if anyone else is curious on how this may turn out

Tire - overall height
Stock 130/70B18....25.17"
Current 120/70-21..27.61"

Rake in neck.....26*

Triple tree offset
Stock....-2.455" the after market trees are set up with the same offset
TriGlide.....?????

Fork tube length
Stock......27.75"
Current...25.75" (-2" monotubes installed)

Rake in triple trees
Stock......5*
TriGlide...7*

Bone stock, I came up with 6.17" of trail
For my current setup, I came up with 6.96" of trail

I've been searching and searching tring to find the offset (center line of fork tubes vs center line of steering stem, within the upper clamp) but haven't had any luck yet. Though I know that they are different :mad:

I will update this as i go and find out the remaining info that I'm missing. I'm pretty hell bent on doing this.......I know that adding 7* into the neck itself would achieve what I'm looking for, just not ready to cross that bridge yet LOL bike is only 4 months only (almost) :D

Any and all input is more than appreciate!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
ive been thinking about the same project but i even throught in the idea of running the 140/70/21 into the mix which is the same diameter as a 23in tire

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive been thinking about the same project but i even throught in the idea of running the 140/70/21 into the mix which is the same diameter as a 23in tire
Looks like the 140 would be 1.1" taller and .79" wider than the 120 I have.......tucked under a streched FL fender that would look sweet! I'd entertain that myself but I think I may ditch the streched fender I have now and go with a wrap fender

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, sounds expensive just reading this post.

your bike looks great, btw
LOL if it works out, as I am hoping it won't be to expensive at all, just time.....luckily I have a lot more time than I do money these days :cool:

And thanks for the compliment on the bike, it's getting there, still waiting on rear shocks and a few odds and ends to come in. Local bike show in a few weeks I'm thinking about maybe doing the ride in thing, if I feel it's ready.....long list of shit to do still, before I feel it's "show ready"

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I did a 7deg+ true rake job with cutting of the neck and all. This is the same degree that the trike triple trees give you. So I would say yes it is worth it, I love the look, the ride, that whole package. Good hunting and show the pics once you do it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey GB, Puzzled about one thing.. your monotubes.. Didn't they come with spacers? That you didn't install to give you the 2" drop.. If you still have 'em, Can't you use your Stock forks and put the spacers in (giving you stock length) to use with the TriGlide trees? That way.. you should be sitting about where you are now with the TG trees.. You wouldn't have to do the 1" drop in the back then..
Just a thought....

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CNM.......that's a valid point, I could just do to the -1" by putting the spacers in. Have been going back and forth on how I'm going to pull off streched bags being as low as I may end up...air ride is not the ride quality that I'm looking for LOL been there done that

Current issue is I'm trying to find what the offset is on the stock TriGlide trees, I feel like I have called/emailed every place that came up on google........

Feeling like this may just work out, but what to do all the math I can before I tear my bike back down to the frame, again

1 - 20 of 28 Posts