Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to be having a large number of people doing their inner fairings lately. I know this has been discussed numerous times on another thread, but just wondering out of all the ones being replace lately, who is using the stock harley trim pieces, and who is going with an aftermarket trim?
There seems to be pros and cons for both, and I still haven't decided which way I want to go.
Thought I'd see what direction everyone is taking lately...

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Having used all three (X-Trim, factory & generic auto trim from the parts store) X-Trim is the definite winner! Works really well around the windshield too!

And an added bonus: The maker of X-Trim, Tyson is a RG rider :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used this stuff I got at Autozone, It wasn't very difficult to do and seem to be just a little bit longer/wider so hopefully it will stay on better. It was tight putting it on which is good. It really doesn't look too different than stock. I'll see if I still have some stock shit lying around in my garage and see if I can't get a comparison pic.

Coulndt find it on Autozone's site, same stuff at Kmart.

http://www.kmart.com/cowles-products-black-edge-trim-and-door-guard/p-082W004206201001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&kpid=082W004206201001&kispla=082W004206201001P

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, I can't think of a single "pro" for the stock HD trim ;)

I use an automotive trim that I get buy the roll at my auto body supply jobber.
Thanks, I was trying to be politically correct and not bash the HD stuff. BTW, just checked out your FB page... man I wish I lived closer to you, AWESOME work, man...

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I use, and have used for over 2 years, the door edge guard from Autozone. It's already glued. You just clean the edge of the inner with an alcohol pad and press it on the edge and you're good to go. It doesn't come loose in the rain or sun. As noted before, I can't think of one good reason to use the H-D stuff.:D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

@4 bucks at autozone, I'm sure x-trim is better but for 4 bucks you can't beat it

·
Registered
462 Posts

@4 bucks at autozone, I'm sure x-trim is better but for 4 bucks you can't beat it
Used the same. Nice fit and finish - way better than stock. Completely satisfied with the result. Do the IronMark no more well nut mod and dump the windscreen trim too when you have the outer fairing off.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I used the X-Trim, after reading all the positive responses on Our Forum and was very disappointed with it.
Especially for the amount of $'s it cost.
I purchased the Door Edge Trim, from Auto Zone, for much less $ and have been very pleased with it.
Seems better made, stronger, wider and good adhesive.
Just my opinion.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The only thing I dislike about the X Trim (which I have had on two bikes) is that there is a little gap at the top by the windshield as the trim is thicker than the stock. Aside from that it is far nicer.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I thought X Trim was a bunch of BS. Then a buddy of mine ordered it when we were doing some work to his Custom. After seeing how it looked on his ride I put it on mine. Only reason I haven't used it for the windshield is I plan on installing the chrome windshield trim.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts