Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year will see a lot of changes. Normally every year wife and I on the bike to TN for a couple weeks end of May. Wife is retiring June 12th . This will be the first time we trailer-ed any bike. We are taking Payton with us and this seems like a better way to go. The sidecar will be on the trailer to get there. Due to Payton's doctors appointments we had to change the dates 3 times . We ran out of time to stay where we wanted in TN so we will stay in Cashiers NC. Little out of the way but we can still get in the rides we planned. Plan is mess around a bit on the way down and get there the 19th of June.
We are really looking forward to Payton seeing the Smoky Mountains and the missing link bridge. Not far from Maggie Valley wheels through time, she wants to see an old sidecar. And ride behind the water fall at Highland NC. Laid the law down on the doctors no more changes until we get back.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Sounds like a great trip and a great way for your wife to start retirement. Hope everything comes together as planned!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hope everything works out for you and the family, pictures would be much appreciated, sounds like a fantastic trip.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
We are really looking forward to Payton seeing the Smoky Mountains and the missing link bridge. Not far from Maggie Valley wheels through time, she wants to see an old sidecar. And ride behind the water fall at Highland NC. Laid the law down on the doctors no more changes until we get back.
Wheels Through Time is actually in Maggie. Last time there Dale had an old bike with side car out front. There was a note in the side car but didn't get close enough to read it until a dog came walking up, jumped in the side car and curled up for a nap. At that point and time I wandered closer. The note read " do not pet the dog. He may bite".

Plenty of waterfalls to check out along 64 there and also on 276 running between 64 and Waynesville. Warning though, 276 north of the falls on the east side on the road climbing up to the BRP is very tight and steep and also going down the side of the mountain from the BRP. Makes the Dragon seem tame.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you are ever in Evansville, IN Bud's Harley Davidson has a bunch of vintage bikes on display, They keep a side car rig in the window, I don't know how old it is, maybe from the 30s looks 100% original. the next time I go in I will take a picture or two and post it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wheels Through Time is actually in Maggie. Last time there Dale had an old bike with side car out front. There was a note in the side car but didn't get close enough to read it until a dog came walking up, jumped in the side car and curled up for a nap. At that point and time I wandered closer. The note read " do not pet the dog. He may bite".

Plenty of waterfalls to check out along 64 there and also on 276 running between 64 and Waynesville. Warning though, 276 north of the falls on the east side on the road climbing up to the BRP is very tight and steep and also going down the side of the mountain from the BRP. Makes the Dragon seem tame.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Couldn’t agree more, dragon is fun but there are a lot of great roads down there. Some of my favorites are in Little Switzerland and rt 80 off the Blue Ridge

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn’t agree more, dragon is fun but there are a lot of great roads down there. Some of my favorites are in Little Switzerland and rt 80 off the Blue Ridge
Payton really likes Dragons. . She has some stickers from the dragon on her wall but I told her she can't have on on the sidecar until she rides it. Wife and I have ridden the entire area for years. She has seen the pictures and has wanted to go for a couple years . This is the year it happens.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Payton really likes Dragons. . She has some stickers from the dragon on her wall but I told her she can't have on on the sidecar until she rides it. Wife and I have ridden the entire area for years. She has seen the pictures and has wanted to go for a couple years . This is the year it happens.
Our favorite area to date also, I know there are plenty of places yet to travel. You guys have a great safe trip can’t wait to see all the smiles on her face!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
There are a lot of great places to ride over in the Cashiers area. If you ride over towards Brevard, you can turn left where 276 becomes Pisgah Hwy and there is a great waterfall with a large parking area that's paved right on the side of the road. It is usually crowded on the weekends but you all will love it if you get to it. Then follow the same road and you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and take it to Maggie Valley or Cherokee, or follow Pisgah back towards Waynesville, NC. Smitty, if I can help you with any trip planning, let me know, I am only a couple of hours from there just outside Charlotte. And there are a ton of roads that are fun to ride that a lot never see.
Nick King nking262

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a lot of great places to ride over in the Cashiers area. If you ride over towards Brevard, you can turn left where 276 becomes Pisgah Hwy and there is a great waterfall with a large parking area that's paved right on the side of the road. It is usually crowded on the weekends but you all will love it if you get to it. Then follow the same road and you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and take it to Maggie Valley or Cherokee, or follow Pisgah back towards Waynesville, NC. Smitty, if I can help you with any trip planning, let me know, I am only a couple of hours from there just outside Charlotte. And there are a ton of roads that are fun to ride that a lot never see.
Nick King nking262
Will take you up on the advise. We have ridden that are over the years but always looking for more.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Will take you up on the advise. We have ridden that are over the years but always looking for more.
Just told Betty about your trip and she said we may try to come up and ride a day or two with you all. If you can give me a month or so notice of the dates and where you plan to stay, I will see if she can take a day or two off during the week, instead of just having the weekend , since it won't be as crowded on the roads and hotels.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just told Betty about your trip and she said we may try to come up and ride a day or two with you all. If you can give me a month or so notice of the dates and where you plan to stay, I will see if she can take a day or two off during the week, instead of just having the weekend , since it won't be as crowded on the roads and hotels.
Sounds great we will be staying at The Club Lodges in Cashiers Booked 7 days there Checking in around 4pm the 19th. No set plan as for rides so we are flexible

·
Registered
416 Posts
I checked out their website very nice, looks like a great area to hang out. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip. If things go to plan I won't be in Indy by then, maybe we can try to meet up on the way down or back depending on your route.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
I stopped by the Harley store and took a couple of pictures of the Side Hack. According to a mechanic he has a roomfull of old bikes he collected over the years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts