Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18 day ride coming up. We had to trim it a few days to cover taking care of Payton. Just a little insight on Lodging. And trip planning.
We will not stay in poor motels. Bad experience over the years taught us well. Shopping smart pays off and making reservation well in advance pays off. Riding all day then search for a place sucks unless no one is going anywhere.
For the nights on the road The average cost of places we know are great was $117. On a trip like this we will often use place we know from other trips.
While booking the trip home the route I had planned staying in Indianapolis looked about right. Must be something big going on every place was over twice the rate some as high as $950 a night.. That was simple to fix . A little reroute and back to reasonable rates.
Now the fun part is deciding what to do on the low mile days,things to see ect. One of the stop overs will be in Savannah GA. I have not been back there in 47 years. Lived jusst south of it in Glenco . I think it has changed. Will kill good part of a day there. Spartanburg is another. I think it has been around 40 years.
5 days in FL around Palm Coast and 6 in Eastern TN. That will include some time in NC also.
I have avoid FL for a long time. I was back there about 30 years ago for a quick visit in and out. I am sure the area is way more over run now than it was then.
This trip is not about high miles each day. There will be a couple but most are easy days. Kind of trip that allows for detouring when something that looks interesting comes up
We have gotten well sidetracked when there was extra time in a trip.
With so many new riders joining in the experance. Sharing what works for you gives then things to consider.

Those that make Patti's run know the Baymount in Clarksville well. Changed our route by 20 miles to stay there on the way down.

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,590 Posts
We plan our stops in the morning. Find a destination at about the miles we want to ride and then book the campsite and order wood and whatever else we may need when we get there. Usually 40 bucks a night for all 3 on 1 site. So about 12 bucks a night per person. Our trips have a destination. But generally start out with a general direction. Then we figure it out as we go. It there's "must see" on a person's list. We go. No questions. Makes for an awesome time.

Good luck. Be safe.

·
Registered
2021 RGS
51 Posts
18 day ride coming up. We had to trim it a few days to cover taking care of Payton. Just a little insight on Lodging. And trip planning.
We will not stay in poor motels. Bad experience over the years taught us well. Shopping smart pays off and making reservation well in advance pays off. Riding all day then search for a place sucks unless no one is going anywhere.
For the nights on the road The average cost of places we know are great was $117. On a trip like this we will often use place we know from other trips.
While booking the trip home the route I had planned staying in Indianapolis looked about right. Must be something big going on every place was over twice the rate some as high as $950 a night.. That was simple to fix . A little reroute and back to reasonable rates.
Now the fun part is deciding what to do on the low mile days,things to see ect. One of the stop overs will be in Savannah GA. I have not been back there in 47 years. Lived jusst south of it in Glenco . I think it has changed. Will kill good part of a day there. Spartanburg is another. I think it has been around 40 years.
5 days in FL around Palm Coast and 6 in Eastern TN. That will include some time in NC also.
I have avoid FL for a long time. I was back there about 30 years ago for a quick visit in and out. I am sure the area is way more over run now than it was then.
This trip is not about high miles each day. There will be a couple but most are easy days. Kind of trip that allows for detouring when something that looks interesting comes up
We have gotten well sidetracked when there was extra time in a trip.
With so many new riders joining in the experance. Sharing what works for you gives then things to consider.

Those that make Patti's run know the Baymount in Clarksville well. Changed our route by 20 miles to stay there on the way down.
I live in fountain inn SC, just south of Spartanburg. I wouldn't recommend Spartanburg (the city) to anyone. I would however recommend Greenville though. It's only 20 minutes south. It sounds like you have an awesome trip planned. Savanna has grown a lot in the last 10 years. Enjoy yalls ride!

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,234 Posts
If this is your May trip then there is this thing that happens every year called the Indianapolis 500. The race is Memorial Day weekend, but activities take up most of the month.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this is your May trip then there is this thing that happens every year called the Indianapolis 500. The race is Memorial Day weekend, but activities take up most of the month.
Yes never gave it any thought. I had wanted to stay in Brownsburg on the way back. I just put a left turn in the route and went another direction. I have to be back NLT 0700 the 29th.
Cov test at VA for shoulder surgery. If I miss that it would have to be rescheduled.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting almost time. 2 week and down the road we go. Spring has been slow coming,wet windy and some what cool.
Few warm days but most in 30-40 range. Come time to leave I don't care if it is snowing hard and 0 Down the road we go.
Hit IL and keep rolling south until it warms up.
We have done it before. Rolled out mid May and it snowed until half way through IL.
Next day 90's in KY.

One last thing to deal with on the rig. New sidecar tire. Could not get what I normally use but a good replacement showed up yesterday.

·
Administrator
12,848 Posts
Safe travels Smitty......Looking forward to the pics

I've got a trip planned down to the Palm Coast too, also Spring Hill and Port Charlotte in the near future
Be careful or you might run into Bob and Fuzzy , and heaven forbid Kathleen ..

JtB

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be careful or you might run into Bob and Fuzzy , and heaven forbid Kathleen ..

JtB
That would be great.
I need this ride. Caring for mother in law, getting her moved in. helping her adjust. The bathroom install. Payton 6-7 days and nights a week has been draining . A recharge is needed.
We have everything worked out. Just a madder of marking off the days.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
10 days and out the drive way and turn south. Weather and life is doing all it can to stop or slow down things I need to get done before we leave.
Just laid it out for wife. What needs to get done to the bike will get done. Payton will get to her doctors appointment so will mother in law. . Every thing else will wait until we get back.
Some years back on our 2011 we left out this same week. it was light snow 35 damp and windy we we rolled out. Snow stopped at WI/IL state line . By the time we hit 100 miles south in IL chaps and heavy jackets off by the time we found KY it was 90 degrees.
Had nothing but prefect riding the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Couple step closer. The more I looked at the sidecar tire the more that voice in my head said put a new one on. It was surprisingly hard to come up with one. But I found one that was what I wanted and got it on. I will sleep better now.
I think my wife is ready to go she started pack last night. I can be parked and out the door in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Not sure if you have been yet, but I am going to check out Clingmans Dome between Maggie Valley and Gatlinburg, this time in E TN.
For someone that has been there, is the road paved to the parking lot or is it gravel?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure if you have been yet, but I am going to check out Clingmans Dome between Maggie Valley and Gatlinburg, this time in E TN.
For someone that has been there, is the road paved to the parking lot or is it gravel?
Good roads for all that riding. Do not expect to cover a lot of miles . Speed limits are around 45. The domes is a lot of walking if you plan to go all the way up.
It would be a shame to be in the park area and not ride the missing link bridge.
We ride that area every year. Will be there on our way back from FL the May 20th to the 27th

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
516 Posts
Hey Smitty, a good portion of the Foothills Pkwy will be closed this summer for repaving. I need to check for sure, but perhaps the Missing Link section will probably remain open since it is relatively new still. Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We are rolling out early AM tomorrow.
First stop for the night is an easy 630 miles And a place those that make Patti's run know well. Baymount in Clarksville TN.
I expect it to be as great as always. May go ahead and make reservation for Patti's 9th while there.
Weather keeps changing calling for T storms mid morning. Tornado watch out for tonight.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts