Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new RGC in October about 3 hours away from my house. I'm gonna be there a few days before I head home. If I do an initial engine break-in and put some miles in each of the 3 days, will it still be too soon to make a 3 hour trip? I know the manual says to vary my speed for the first 500 miles. Can I make the trip if I vary my speed every 30 mins or so and keep the rpms under 3000 or should I trailer it?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've always treated oil as the life blood of an engine. As you know Harley recommends an inspection and oil change at 1000 miles. I have read expert opinions in the past that say 80 to 90% of the initial metal wear takes place in the first 50 miles. So on all my bikes I scheduled an oil and filter change for 1 hour after I picked it up. Drive around town for the hour then back to the shop.
If I lived 3 hours away I would do that then head home keeping the freeway speeds down initially. To get the low speed variation pull off the highway and drive through every town you hit.
Staying near the shop for the first 50 miles has another possible benefit. Things tend to shake loose fairly soon, so along with the oil change listen for strange noises and have them looked at before you head home. Loose mufflers tend to squeak etc. Electrical failures tend to happen either in the first few miles or 2 days after the warranty expires. At least you will be near the shop for the early problems :eek:
After 50 or even 100 miles I would rather be on my way home than in some motel unless you need to be there anyway. Absolutely no need to trailer it.

Now that you have asked the question it is mandatory you TAKE PICTURES to share with us.

·
Registered
955 Posts
When I bought my Ultra the best deal I found was in Manteno, Ill, about 1000 miles from home. I flew to Chicago, the dealer picked me up and later that day I was on my way home- the long way via Savannah, Ga. I babied her the first 500 miles on backroads and highways then got the 1k done in Pigeon Forge, Tn.

By the time I got home to Austin I had 3200 miles on her. 35,000 miles later she still runs like a tightly wound top.

Ride yours home.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Just break it in buy the owners manual all that other stuff is plain out BS.
Ride. I know of owners that live on the East coast have their new HD delivered to Alaska pick it up there and ride home.
Worry to much .
And disregard all this made up secret break in tricks they a re BS.

·
Registered
478 Posts
When I picked mine up new the service manager said you dont need to worry about that breakin BS. At 400 miles we took off on a trip got back with1300 miles on it and had the 1000 mile service done. I've done the last 3 harleys that way never had a problem. The only thing I tried to avoid was getting stuck in traffic if it was hot out cause they run a little hotter when new.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Every qualified mechanic I know stresses how important the break in period is. It's important because it helps seal your gaskets and o-rings. This is done for the long term life of your engine. A properly sealed head gasket (for example) is important. There are people who don't break in their bikes properly who never have an issue but I can tell you from experience that it sucks to blow a head gasket. Lastly, don't listen to the dealership if they tell you that it's not important to follow the break-in instructions. They have everything to gain if you have long term issues with the bike. I think I'm giving you good advise but you can take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
3 years ago I bought my 2010 Road Glide Custom. My wife and I had gotten married in June 09 and we were going to the Idaho HOG rally as our honeymoon. I pick the bike up Thursday afternoon and rode it the 90 miles home. Then the next day we took off for Idaho which was about 250 miles away. We rode each day during the rally and came home with just over a 1,000 miles on it. Never had any issues with it and traded it with about 10,000 miles for my Ultra in December 2011. Just be smart and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Dang, Wildman. Looking at your ownership history on your signature, I'd say its about time for you to get a new bike! lol

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Dang, Wildman. Looking at your ownership history on your signature, I'd say its about time for you to get a new bike! lol
Andyman,

Plan is to keep my FLTRU for a long time. I still have all the rigs in my sig except for the 010 RGC which I traded in for the FLTRU. I hope to have a new bike on my list in the next few years.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just curious. How much time in the saddle do you get on the older 2? I practically have to force myself to ride my Deuce. I'll gear up and get ready to go, having planned to take her on the day's ride and end up throwing my leg over the Ultra. Darn thing's hard to stay off of.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here is a thread worth reading about the break in methods.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=24275

I tend to follow the 30-60-30 procedure. Either way I think you will be fine.

Congrats on the new bike!
I had new bike shipped to Bikeweek, I got on it, and broke it in using a similar procedure. Lots of acceleration and long engine braking. I then rode the bike 4400 miles to get it home. I stopped at a dealer for the 1000 mile checkup during the trip.

At 6000, I switched to Amsoil, and she now has 9700 miles on it since March. It hasn't used a drop of oil.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
3,000 rpms in 6th gears is about 80mph. That should be enough to tell you that it wont be a problem riding it home.

W

·
0 Posts
The morning I picked it up I took it a little easy the first 50 miles and then rode it for over 6 hours home.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
ride it. for the first 50 miles take it very easy. then after that, just don't hammer the piss out of it for a bit. be sure to stay off the cruise control until after the 1000 mile service.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts