Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help figuring out a problem on my 12 RG. My accessories fuse keep popping.. when it pops, the turn signals, brake lights don't work and cruise control light won't switch on when pressed. Also I have a trouble code of 0572 which is the rear brake switch. Thx.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
317 Posts
My guess is the cruise control does not work due to the code. My experience is that the cruise is disabled when there is something wrong.
The lights, I have no idea. sounds like it is time to take it in and have it looked at. Have you cleared the code, to see if it comes back again?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Did you unplug the rear brake light switch and see if the fuse holds? It may be a good place to start, if the the fuse pops with the brake switch unplugged then use a multimeter to check if there is a short in the plug or wires.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't troubleshoot it too far. I just checked the wires along the frame to see if any were pinched. I found none. I'll take your advise and try unplugging the brake switch. But I confused when the blown accessories fuse would cause brake light and turn signal inoperable. Thx.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like the brake switch itself may be shorting out. Besides the brake lights and turn signals not working, the cruise control will also be disabled if this switch is bad. You need to confirm it's the back brake switch and not the front although the code indicates the back. Put a new fuse in and pull the front brake. If the fuse doesn't blow then try the back brake. When you find out which circuit (front or back) is blowing the fuse test that switch. If the switch is good then start tracking the wires in that circuit (front or back) starting at the switch.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smarty, also I while the fuse is blown I have no rear running light and front turn signals as well. But the head light and high beams work.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
If the fuse blows as soon as you put it in then there is a direct short somewhere.
Did the fuse blow when you turned on the ignition or did it blow when the ignition is off.
If the fuse blew with the ignition off then the short may be in a feature that stays on all the time such as the security system.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It only blows when the ignition is turned on. Very strange. I have not don't anything to the bike in several month and now for this to happen. I don't really know where to start to check for a bad wire.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It only blows when the ignition is turned on. Very strange. I have not done anything to the bike in several months and now for this to happen. I don't really know where to start to check for a bad wire.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
The ACC fuse is the O/W (orange/white) wire.
The O/W wire goes to the rear lighting, rear stop light switch from the main wiring harness which is the harness that runs down the cable tray.
The main harness plugs into the fairing interconnect harness where the O/W wire goes to speed and tach, dash panel switches, and plugs into the left and right hand controls.
The O/W wire goes to the front stop light switch and the directional signal on the right side hand control and the O/W wire goes to the horn switch and directional signal on the left hand control.

I would think that the most obvious place to look would be the directional signal wires because they can get damaged when installing the outer fairing.
You can start by unplugging the left hand control harness and put a fuse in, if it blows then plug it back together and try unplugging the right hand control harness. You can narrow your problem down by eliminating harness by harness then when you know which harness is causing the problem, then you can eliminate each item on that harness until you isolate the problem.
Wiring problems can be a PIA and it takes time and patience to fix the problem. Good Luck! :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts