Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 FLTRX w/ ABS
So i went for a putt on Saturday, and was about a mile from home. I came to a stop sign, and my rear right turn signal cover vibrated off. I think because of my powder coating, the cover did not snap in as good as stock. But ive had it this way for 4 years(25,000 miles) without any issues. I have custom dynamic LED bulbs, and so the bulb was dangling there. I then realized, that my brake lights were not working.
I got home, pulled the bulb out, and re seated it and put the cover back on.
My running lights work, and my turn signals work, but no brake lights.
When i pull the front brake lever, i get a click from the fuse panel. When i push on the rear brake, i get the same click from the fuse panel. There is a relay there, and the same relay is used for other lighting. i swapped relays, and still get the same thing. I checked fuse, and swapped fuse and still same thing.
Can anybody help me solve this? Seems like it had to be something with the CD bulb.

Recent mods that may be possible causes- New front wheel, Swapped out rear fascia/tri bar light that i bought used on forum, but didnt have problems after hooking it up.
Maybe its the tri bar light connections?
help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Check the tabs inside the fuse box where the brake light fuse goes. I had the tabs spread and they didn't make contact with the prongs on the fuse (I think it is a heat related problem), take a small flat screwdriver and bend the tabs in the fuse box in so it will make contact with the prongs on the fuse.
Not saying that this will fix your problem but it is something to check.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Are you sure the bulb is good ?? The Brake light bulb should be a double filament , and it's possible, one side burned out.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Check your grounds, LED bulbs draw so little current that high resistance grounds can be an issue. Try a regular bulb in place of the LED.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Missed the LED. part... regardless, try a new regular bulb. Easiest first. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
My wife's 05 Electra glide was doing the same thing.....replaced the actual part that the bulb connects to in the rear light housing...problem solved

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
It could be your brake switch.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If the relay is clicking the front and rear switches are OK. The switches trip the relay, the relay switches power to the bulbs.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the relay is clicking the front and rear switches are OK. The switches trip the relay, the relay switches power to the bulbs.
This is helping narrow it down.
i think i will check the wiring harness where it connects at the tri bar light.
i have another tri bar light i can use too. And i will also check the connectors inside the bulb housing.
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brake lights working!!!

So, i had swapped rear fender fascias with the tri bar light not long ago.
i bought a spare to use for a project, but havent started the project yet, and just threw on a black fascia.
Apparently the connections in the tri bar light were faulty, and so after testing the plugs and wiring, narrowed it down to the tri bar light as it didnt have a good ground. i put my stock fascia and tri bar light back on, and all is well again.
Thanks to all who helped contribute to the troubleshooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts