Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in another thread but thought I might share here too. I did not want to pay the silly high prices for generic "custom" parts so I decided to make them in my shop. There was more to it than I thought though. I have manufactured guns for many years as well as gun parts. Machining may be the same across the machine world but I have been learning a lot about bike parts as I am not a mechanic.
I have now finished the derby cover, (pic below) I will make another and have it anodized then remachine it.
I have the points cover, floor boards, gas cap cover, and controls drawn already. I learned from this evolution and it will take a bit of time to complete. The nice part is I am excited about every minute in the shop.
The design is a Master EOD badge from the army as I am an EOD tech in the FLARNG. I will post more pics as they come along.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wowsa!!
Freaking awesome!
Nothing like TRUE custom parts!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely wanted to be different. While it may be hard to tell from these pics, the design is basically 3D. I did not want to just flat engrave into a stock part. I will also incorporate the mad bomber design from an organization I belong to. Basically I will make all of the add on parts flat black then start with the performance mods. I have already picked those out but will have to gather a few funds first. the aluminum billet is easy to get but performance mods are much more costly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Are you going to take on any work? I'd love to get something designed like a tattoo of mine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Would love to get my club back patchs on a cover if you are taking orders :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Very nice craftsmanship!
Let us know if you're going to take custom orders for Forum Members.
Mike U.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In response to the comments concerning custom parts. YES, I will make them. I have a bike shop in central Florida that wants me to make their design of derby covers and floor boards but I will make anybody's parts that wants them.
I would need a really clear picture or drawing to do it but it can be done easy enough. I do this stuff as a hobby and creating cool stuff from a block of metal is my passion. I have designed and built many firearms in the past but am kind of loosing interest in that which is why I decided to dress up my new glide.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't leave us hanging. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do next.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks Good man .. Funny because I am a machinist also and in the process of machining some parts for my bike . I am starting on a air breather cover myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I have derby covers out to the anodizing and chrome shop. I figure why stop with one style.
floor boards are next and should be on the machine this week. Waiting on material.
This would be faster but I had requests from 3 different companies for parts, not bike parts but profitable anyways. I had to retool for those runs as is the problem when you only have one machine. I will try to get some pics up by the weekend.:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is the chrome alot more expensive we dont any work with chrome so I am going more with anodized parts since I can sneak those in with parts with work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It depends, if I polish the piece first it is not that much more to chrome. The anodizing is not costing me anything at the moment as I am just anodizing the parts black and the guys just throw the parts in with what they are doing anyway. Chrome is about $50 per pieces.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts