Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question. What is really the difference between a header pipe vs a gutted stock pipe ???

I never had a bike with a catalytic converter before. seems like I can gut the stock head pipe and tada Header pipe. Both stock pipe and header should have been air flow tuned. If removing the converter gives the pipe better unrestricted flow, Should they not be the same then? The true headers do not have a bigger diameter, As some have you use your stock covers. Also it is not bigger at the head other wise it would not fit stock heads. so whats really the difference ???

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I gutted the cat on mine. Added cvo slip ons and 2" fullsac baffles. Done! Also tuned it using the V&H Fuelpack 3. Bike runs great and sounds great. I'm not a fan of true duals. For my personal butt dyno I don't like the loss of low end torque.

When you see a large diameter pipe they're stepped. They're all the same at the head. The better pips have graduated pipe sizes starting small at the head and getting bigger as they get closer to the muffler. For performance your best bet is a 2-1. But if it's just sound and looks. Have at it. The hp numbers are irrelevant at that point.

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
224 Posts
Bring this one back. I just slapped on S&S GNX cans and gonna throw a power vision on it after I get back from a road trip.

To that note, been thinking about upgrading the exhaust and I noticed that S&S had H pipes, which made me wonder what I just read above. They’re selling those and then you have true duals. I had trues on my 11’ but I had upgraded the tuner etc... at the same time to tell if there was a difference in performance.

My ride is an 18’ stock except for the S&S. No plans to go full stage 1, unless there’s a good beer sale and I get bored... then everything is fucked.

So not really benefit going to true duels over H pipe headers? At least to justify $. And punch the pipes and save $ instead of buying H pipes.?

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I good aftermarket head pipe will have a larger diameter pipe and it will be stepped a couple times which will produce more power and torque. If you compare a stock head pipe to an aftermarket you'll not only see the difference but you'll feel the difference when it's on the bike. If you're comparing a stock decatted head pipe to a stock no cat head pipe you probably wont notice much of a difference. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them on a basically stock bike but if you're looking to upgrade the motor then I wouldn't use the stock head pipe because you'll be robbing the motor of some power.

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
802 Posts
IMO, unless you plan on increasing displacement or chasing dyno numbers, a decatted header will be fine. Removing the catalyst will greatly reduce heat.

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
224 Posts
I good aftermarket head pipe will have a larger diameter pipe and it will be stepped a couple times which will produce more power and torque. If you compare a stock head pipe to an aftermarket you'll not only see the difference but you'll feel the difference when it's on the bike. If you're comparing a stock decatted head pipe to a stock no cat head pipe you probably wont notice much of a difference. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them on a basically stock bike but if you're looking to upgrade the motor then I wouldn't use the stock head pipe because you'll be robbing the motor of some power.
Nice. Thanks for the knowledge.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have asked this question to 2 different tuners that tune with the TTS Mastertune. Both of them told me that they can’t tune the bike as well if it has a Decatted head pipe versus an aftermarket head pipe.

Most of us probably wouldn’t feel the difference if we took out the cat. But for those that chase every last HP/TQ from a build a decatted pipe probably isn’t the best route.

My $0.02

Reactions: Oclaf and MORider

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have not used an aftermarket pipe on my '17 FLTRU, so I can't make a comparison.
I did gut the head pipe and kept all else stock and the only noticeable difference is the reduction in heat for the passenger's right foot and my right cheek. I didn't feel any performance change other than the bike felt 'freer'; if that's actually a thing.
Since then I've upped to stage 1 with Samson 4" tubes with 2" baffles, K&N AF and running the V&H FP3. Had to do a little tweaking to the improve the bottom end but overall I'm happy with this set up. Definitely a noticeable improvement over the stock set up.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question. What is really the difference between a header pipe vs a gutted stock pipe ???

I never had a bike with a catalytic converter before. seems like I can gut the stock head pipe and tada Header pipe. Both stock pipe and header should have been air flow tuned. If removing the converter gives the pipe better unrestricted flow, Should they not be the same then? The true headers do not have a bigger diameter, As some have you use your stock covers. Also it is not bigger at the head other wise it would not fit stock heads. so whats really the difference ???
I saw the results on a dyno off a gutted pipe vs an aftermarket one, only one or 2 hp on the dyno . I have a gutted pipe with cvo mufflers runs and sounds good , couldn't see spending good money for a couple of hp.

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
802 Posts
Less heat as you described is the biggest gain by gutting the head pipe. Which was the main reason I did mine. Now any heat is balanced between both sides of the bike. Unless your going bigger in cubic inches, the stock decatted header is fine, unless you have $ burning a hole in your pocket.

Reactions: Caveman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts