Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to get rid of the "rear steer" on my 11 RGC. I'm experiencing this cornering on the highway at speeds over 75 mph. the alignment is right on and steering head is tight. I let go of the handlebars and she tracks perfectly. It's in the corners that concern me, a crazy wobble at high speed. Feels pretty unstable in the rear end.

I'm thinking about replacing my swing arm bearings with the Custom Cycle Engineering late model swing arm kit (had these on a 99 Road King Classic) as well as adding a rear stabilizer. I am just trying to figure out which one works best, True Track Vs. Tour Link? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the heads up, or feedback...

· Registered
2,806 Posts
If it is not something else causing the rear wobble (like a loose swing arm bolt or worn rear tire or whatever), the Progressive Touring Link does help. I have a 12 and it did tighten up the rear where you could feel it in the corners. Nothing out of this world, but a noticeable tightening up.

· Registered
10,584 Posts
I am trying to get rid of the "rear steer" on my 11 RGC. I'm experiencing this cornering on the highway at speeds over 75 mph. the alignment is right on and steering head is tight. I let go of the handlebars and she tracks perfectly. It's in the corners that concern me, a crazy wobble at high speed. Feels pretty unstable in the rear end.

I'm thinking about replacing my swing arm bearings with the Custom Cycle Engineering late model swing arm kit (had these on a 99 Road King Classic) as well as adding a rear stabilizer. I am just trying to figure out which one works best, True Track Vs. Tour Link? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the heads up, or feedback...
You might want to try new shocks first , if all is tight on the swing arm .

· Registered
56 Posts
check the swing arm bolts behind the black plastic caps under the rear footpegs. My right side was loose by 2.5 turns before the torque wrench went "click"

I have not rode it since I found and fixed this problem but only leads me to believe this could easily caused a rear steer in cornering.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have this same problem.

For me, it's hitting a bump in a curve at 60+, faster I go and the more I'm carving the worse it gets.

To me it feels like the whole bike is flexing, it starts at the front end and wags the whole bike right to the rear end.

My bike is a juiced up '13 (dyno @115hp) w/ upgraded forks (cartridges and fluids.) Not lowered or anything. Getting a 21" wheel soon (soon as it arrives, been waiting a loooonnnng time.) It's serviced locally by a pro bike shop and I'm a fair shade tree mechanic as well as being a mechanical engineer.

I was thinking it needs something in the rear and something to strengthen the forks too (like a fork brace maybe.)

Anything I could do to solve this would be just wonderful.

My custom v-rod does not do this at all. Yea, I know, totally different animal.

· Registered
56 Posts
I put a few hundred miles on the bike yesterday after properly torquing the right rear swingarm bolt. The bike tracks straight now and rode several miles with hands off of the bars (as long as I was above 35mph). I am still battling a loose neck bearing. The bike felt a little better in corners.

Today I followed the service bulletin once again and brought the front fork swing to 1.25 (just a little tighter than the recommended 1.5). Spun it around the block and set the cruise on 35mph, still has wobble but not as bad. Came back and adjusted tire pressure to 45 (max 41) and retested, I can now let go at 35mph and it takes a little longer to get the wobble started. I can live with this until winter when I tackle new neck bearings and races (only 10k on the odometer)

BTW.. New American Elite 19" front tire and wheel bearings due to new wheels over the winter. Not sure what else to do at this time but I am thinking about adding both true-track parts available for my '12.

· Registered
492 Posts
Maybe the problem is "cornering on the highway at speeds over 75 m.p.h." Don't get mad, I'm just trying to be funny. The rear wobble was definitely noticeable on my 08' Ultra Classic so I know what you're talking about.

· The ICON
2,374 Posts
On my 2011FLTRX when it was new in high speed sweepers it felt like my rear tire was low on pressure , not necessarily a wobble , but definitely loose . The first time it happened I pulled over to see if my rear tire was going down . I installed the True-Trak and it solved this issue for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.