Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks. Ok so I have a 2011 Cvo ultra RG. It has the front fairing speakers upgraded to 7.25" J&M rokkers and the rear pods of course upgraded 5.25 J&M's. Now I've added lower 7.25" J&M speaker pods. And just got a Rockford fosgate pbr 2 or 4 channel amp for Christmas.
Question here is what speakers are best left on the old boom amp and what should I wire to the new.

Option #1 leave the original speakers to the boom and wire the lowers only to the new RF amp. Probably the easiest.
Option #2 Should I go all 4 front to the new and leave the rear on the boom amp? Not sure if I Can I switch the boom amp to 2 channel if i do this.

Any thoughts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
What are all the ohm ratings on the amps and speakers ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well with a 4 channel most run the four up front on the amp and run the rears off the deck. As what you hear is up front more than the rear. Or with a 2 channel amp run the four speakers up front in Parallel, run the rear pods off the deck.

Alot of 6 speakers kits with 2 channel amps. Its a basic up grade. Parallel the front 4 and use the deck to run the rears. Basic easy.

OHMS of the speakers are going to have effect . So here is a basic set up for just about all OHM speakers.

Wiring Configuration for 2 Speakers in Parallel
Wiring two speakers in parallel

Two 4 ohm speakers = 2 ohm load
Two 8 ohm speakers = 4 ohm load
Two 16 ohm speakers = 8 ohm load
Wiring Configuration for 2 Speakers in Series
Wiring two speakers in series

Two 2 ohm speakers = 4 ohm load
Two 4 ohm speakers = 8 ohm load
Two 8 ohm speakers = 16 ohm load
Wiring Configuration for 4 Speakers in Parallel
Wiring four speakers in parallel

Four 8 ohm speakers = 2 ohm load
Four 16 ohm speakers = 4 ohm load
Four 32 ohm speakers = 8 ohm load
Wiring Configuration for 4 Speakers in Series/Parallel
Wiring four speakers in series/parallel

Four 4 ohm speakers = 4 ohm load
Four 8 ohm speakers = 8 ohm load
Four 16 ohm speakers = 16 ohm load

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi folks. Ok so I have a 2011 Cvo ultra RG. It has the front fairing speakers upgraded to 7.25" J&M rokkers and the rear pods of course upgraded 5.25 J&M's. Now I've added lower 7.25" J&M speaker pods. And just got a Rockford fosgate pbr 2 or 4 channel amp for Christmas.
Question here is what speakers are best left on the old boom amp and what should I wire to the new.

Option #1 leave the original speakers to the boom and wire the lowers only to the new RF amp. Probably the easiest.
Option #2 Should I go all 4 front to the new and leave the rear on the boom amp? Not sure if I Can I switch the boom amp to 2 channel if i do this.

Any thoughts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Wire the front JM speakers to the Boom amp. If your amp is a PBR300x2 you will NOT be able to wire in parallel on the JM speakers. They are 2 ohm and will bring your load down to 1 ohm. If your amp is the PBR300X4 you will not be able to use it on any of your speakers.

All of your speakers are two ohm speakers and the X4 is not two ohm compatible.
You can use the X2 on the rear speakers if you turn the gains down very low. Otherwise that amp will blow your speakers at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK So that Sucks..... my fairing Speakers are J&M 7.25". 2 are Rokkers and 2 are just the Performance. Both are 2 ohms. Yes the Amp is 4 Ohms. Can I run 2 speakers in Series to make the amp think its one 4 ohm speaker on the 2 channel setting?

·
Registered
9,329 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with Big G. It's doable but you are going to lose volume wiring in series.
i highly suggest to folks to not run speakers in series for this reason as well as the fact that if one of those speakers wired in series goes, then your amp is left with a 2 ohm speaker to drive that it will not like and will make a short life span of your amp. Parallel is always better and you can always run a higher ohm load than the amp is spec-d for but never a lower ohm load.

My .02 is get rid of that amp and get an amp that is stable at a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i highly suggest to folks to not run speakers in series for this reason as well as the fact that if one of those speakers wired in series goes, then your amp is left with a 2 ohm speaker to drive that it will not like and will make a short life span of your amp. Parallel is always better and you can always run a higher ohm load than the amp is spec-d for but never a lower ohm load.

My .02 is get rid of that amp and get an amp that is stable at a 2 ohm load.
Ditto!

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
not a thing wrong with running the 2-ohm speakers in series on each amp channel, as long as you readjust the amplifier input gain controls to make up for the change in output impedance from 2 to 4 ohms ,,,,,

we have been doing this for all of our good customers since 2009 ,,,,,,

with J&Ms current 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier, it has enough internal RMS power and gain adjustment range to properly drive a 4, 6 or 8 speaker system on your Harley ,,,,

·
Registered
209 Posts
not a thing wrong with running the 2-ohm speakers in series on each amp channel, as long as you readjust the amplifier input gain controls to make up for the change in output impedance from 2 to 4 ohms ,,,,,

we have been doing this for all of our good customers since 2009 ,,,,,,

with J&Ms current 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier, it has enough internal RMS power and gain adjustment range to properly drive a 4, 6 or 8 speaker system on your Harley ,,,,
OMG are you serious? What the hell does a gain control have to do with a speakers impedance? NOTHING JOHN. You yourself sir are a misguided 36+ self-proclaimed audio expert who knows everything and every time you post in a thread that I or someone else has given accurate information in just proves even further to me that you are nothing that you claim to be. You haven't a clue sir. You buy other manufacturer's products, re-brand and market as your own and that's fine. But call a spade a spade here. You are a 36+ year sales guy, nothing more. You haven't a clue about technical audio function, NONE!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talking about JMJOHN.... To John: I kindly requested you (on another forum) to send me your best amp so I can also test it on my bench. I have so far tested 6 amps, provided by buddies as well as a Vendor.
Unfortunately you have not replied yet to my inquiry...
Your website literally say: "The world's most powerful amplifiers for your *2014-2015) harley". Let me test that and provide you and the rest of the world the facts, as I compare the amps tested in the exact same setup (literally ON MY 2013 street glide with 2 polk MM651 and 2 JBL P963's asnd Pioneer DEH9500 head unit).
After testing I will ship back the amp (ON MY COST!) and turn around will be max 48 hours.
I just noticed you DID get back on HDF and actually even responded to the thread where I kindly requested you to consider sending me an amp...
I AM A STAND UP GUY - many audio lovers on different forums will confirm... what about you?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
if you wire the front 4-speakers in series on both the left and right channels using 2-ohm speakers, the amplifier now has a 4-ohm load on it's outputs instead of 2-ohms,,,,,,

Then increasing the amplifier input gain levels slightly, from what they were with a 2-ohm load on the outputs, will bring the volume level back up close to what it was with just 2-ohm speakers connected ,,,,,,

·
Registered
209 Posts
You still don't get it and never will.

As for how many bikes I have well wrong again pinhead, I have 3 also. You know nothing whatsoever of me other than I call you out on your BS because that's exactly what it is, BS. I'm no expert, never claimed to be one, and unlike you never will claim to be one but 1 thing I can assure you of is I will tell it like it is. Once again you bring up Biketronics. Why is that especially since BT hasn't come up in this conversation once until you brought it up. You're threatened by people who will expose you for what you are. Designing audio!! LOL. Gimme break. Again you buy product manufactured by others and resell as your own. I have no agenda. I was perfectly fine answering questions here until you had to come stick your nose in peddling your wares again in a TECHNICAL DISCUSSION thread where you had no business doing so, at least per this forums own sponsor posting guidelines.

So John,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,go,,,,,,,,,,sit,,,,,in,,,the,,,,,,,corner,,,,,,,and,,,,,,play,,,,,,,with,,,,,,,,,,,,,your,,,,,,,,,DSP

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
All poor ccallahan wanted was a little help wiring up some speakers and you guys gave him a show. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
you guys are right, I apologize for my responses today ,,,, I am not going to let Ultranutz get me wound up anymore ,,,,, we all have much better things to do & talk about ,,,,,,
John: In typical John fashion you come in here, jump in technical discussion threads you have no technical reason for being in other than to antagonize me and to solicit your wares (against forum rules I might add), start a bunch of sh*t, and then when you get called out for being the idiot that you are, you just go away with posts like this in trying to save face. You've done this for years over on HDF and much to my own disliking I moved your threads off to save you from your own worst enemy, YOU. Man you literally have a screw loose. Why don't you go back over to HDF where you're not welcome anymore and be protected by your Admin buddy. I've done my best to steer clear of you, your admin buddy, and HDF after leaving HDF but you can't leave well enough alone can you? If you'd like sir, I can post up publicly every single thread that you started your crap in over the years (yep I kept them all) and every single harassing/threatening/crybaby email between you, me, your IB account rep, and your Admin buddy over there (yep, kept all those too) in a place where every one can see them which I'm quite certain would shed a lot of light on the difference between what you "portray" yourself as in the public eye vs what kind of hypocrite and creep your really are.

laxinharley: there's no measuring of anything sir, that's not what this is about. This is 100% UNEQUIVOCALLY about John stalking me every where I go and I'm sick of it. He's done this for a very long time and in single-handed fashion managed to ruin a perfectly good audio forum on HDF that I, along with other audio enthusiasts, NOT JOHN, built over the years and is now a proverbial ghost town. Go over there and look at my post count, or better yet my 13k+ posts and every single one of those was ALL VIABLE INFORMATION helping people with electrical/audio/engine/tuning support not crap posts spamming FORUMS like John does.

·
Registered
209 Posts
and why is it that you keep going back and editing your posts after the fact John like you did in #13 above? Trying to save face or are you simply complaining to the admins here that you're being treated unfairly and trying to hide the facts?

Here's the original in it's entirety.

"This thread is located at:
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=195890&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
UltraNutz ,,,,,,

you give me way too much credit ,,,,,,,,,

I was PERSONALLY involved in the designs of our 7.25" speakers & adapter spacers for 1998-2013 Harley Baggers ,,,,, both ROKKER and Performance series and had them made to MY specifications, not someone else's ,,,,

I was PERSONALLY involved in the designs of our 6.65"" speakers for 2014-2015 Harley Baggers ,,,,, and actually drew most of the original shapes, sizes and dimensions with my own two hands on a piece of paper ,,,,,

I was PERSONALLY involved in the design of our 500w DSP amplifier, taking a much physically larger design that Arc Audio was using, then modifying the chassis, the pcb board and complete wiring harnesses to fit the 1998-2015 Harley Bagger application ,,,,,

I personally set the entire DSP range on all ROKKER XTP programmable amps for all applications ,,,, and post the programs on our internet website for all to use ,,,,,,,

I personally designed all of the J&M helmet headset parts for the boom mike, the speakers and the attachment system, along with the p-series and z-series connection cords,,,,,,

should I go on or have you stroked my ego enough ?? ,,,,,

and I still find the time to answer email from customers, arm wrestle with some of you know-it-alls on the forums and MAYBE take my wife to dinner once in a while ,,,,,,

get real man ,,,,, you are not talking to some guy that has spent the last 38 years in the peanut gallery out back ,,,,,,

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Road Glide Forums"

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
John: In typical John fashion you come in here, jump in technical discussion threads you have no technical reason for being in other than to antagonize me and to solicit your wares (against forum rules I might add), start a bunch of sh*t, and then when you get called out for being the idiot that you are, you just go away with posts like this in trying to save face. You've done this for years over on HDF and much to my own disliking I moved your threads off to save you from your own worst enemy, YOU. Man you literally have a screw loose. Why don't you go back over to HDF where you're not welcome anymore and be protected by your Admin buddy. I've done my best to steer clear of you, your admin buddy, and HDF after leaving HDF but you can't leave well enough alone can you? If you'd like sir, I can post up publicly every single thread that you started your crap in over the years (yep I kept them all) and every single harassing/threatening/crybaby email between you, me, your IB account rep, and your Admin buddy over there (yep, kept all those too) in a place where every one can see them which I'm quite certain would shed a lot of light on the difference between what you "portray" yourself as in the public eye vs what kind of hypocrite and creep your really are.

laxinharley: there's no measuring of anything sir, that's not what this is about. This is 100% UNEQUIVOCALLY about John stalking me every where I go and I'm sick of it. He's done this for a very long time and in single-handed fashion managed to ruin a perfectly good audio forum on HDF that I, along with other audio enthusiasts, NOT JOHN, built over the years and is now a proverbial ghost town. Go over there and look at my post count, or better yet my 13k+ posts and every single one of those was ALL VIABLE INFORMATION helping people with electrical/audio/engine/tuning support not crap posts spamming FORUMS like John does.
I get it man. But feel bad for these guys asking legitimate questions and than having to sort thru all this for an answer. This site is not like that. Start a thread and argue with John. I'll watch. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.