Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a H-D mech that due to my bike being tuned with a TTS that my bikes "brain " is locked to the TTS and that I couldn't uninstall that tuner and put another one in. Any truth to this?? Im thinking I'd like to put a tuner in that doesn't have to be dynod to tune . I just paid 400 last year for tune now it's gonna cost another 300 for tune after cam swap. I'm just not fond of having to pay that for a retune everytime something is changed. I'd like to do 107 kit in another year or so and that'd be another 300.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You can hook up the TTS to the bike and flash the original HD map back TO the ECM. This puts the ECM back to stock and "Unlocked". BUT I think you might be happier with getting a dyno tune with the TTS after the cam change....That is if your dyno guys know how to properly tune with the TTS. Some guys do a great job with the TTS, others not so much.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
get with steve cole, the master behind tts. he may have a canned map for your setup that you may be perfectly happy with.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can hook up the TTS to the bike and flash the original HD map back TO the ECM. This puts the ECM back to stock and "Unlocked". BUT I think you might be happier with getting a dyno tune with the TTS after the cam change....That is if your dyno guys know how to properly tune with the TTS. Some guys do a great job with the TTS, others not so much.
That sounds more like it... I know the TTS can get me a better tune but I'm never happy and im always wanting to change something or upgrade. I just hate that I have to pay 300 everytime something in the engine changes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get with steve cole, the master behind tts. he may have a canned map for your setup that you may be perfectly happy with.
So I would be able to put it in without having it dynod?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can download a canned map off the TTS website that will ether match your current configuration or at least be close enough to move forward with fine tuning using the TTS software also available for download off the TTS website. As long as you have the TTS dongle that is linked to your bike you are good to go. Follow the directions and give it a go. Tuning your bike yourself using the TTS software will at first seam more complicated than it really is. Believe me, if I can do it anybody can. I've been using TTS for a couple years now, making changes to my ECM each time I make a change or upgrade to my bike that requires a new tune and I have been very happy with the results.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can download a canned map off the TTS website that will ether match your current configuration or at least be close enough to move forward with fine tuning using the TTS software also available for download off the TTS website. As long as you have the TTS dongle that is linked to your bike you are good to go. Follow the directions and give it a go. Tuning your bike yourself using the TTS software will at first seam more complicated than it really is. Believe me, if I can do it anybody can. I've been using TTS for a couple years now, making changes to my ECM each time I make a change or upgrade to my bike that requires a new tune and I have been very happy with the results.
Hell yea! I didn't know this

·
Registered
328 Posts
Be sure to save your current map file which the program will prompt you to do in the beginning. That way if you don't like the way things are progressing you can simply reinstall it with nothing lost. And know that TTS has built some safeguards into their software which will not allow you to make certain changes that can do harm as long as you start with the correct can map. Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be sure to save your current map file which the program will prompt you to do in the beginning. That way if you don't like the way things are progressing you can simply reinstall it with nothing lost. And know that TTS has built some safeguards into their software which will not allow you to make certain changes that can do harm as long as you start with the correct can map. Have fun and good luck.
Ok, it's gonna be a few weeks before I get cams. I'm gonna call TTS and speak with them about how to do it all step by step. Thanks

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ok, it's gonna be a few weeks before I get cams. I'm gonna call TTS and speak with them about how to do it all step by step. Thanks
I want to know what i can about the TTS also. I plan on buying one here soon because i am going to start installing my cams, lifters, and maybe pushrods shortly. My mechanic friend that i refer to says, the TTS is a little better than the PV, but it's not bad, so i am going with the TTS. I'll be checking out all the stuff it can do also.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was told by a H-D mech that due to my bike being tuned with a TTS that my bikes "brain " is locked to the TTS and that I couldn't uninstall that tuner and put another one in. Any truth to this?? Im thinking I'd like to put a tuner in that doesn't have to be dynod to tune . I just paid 400 last year for tune now it's gonna cost another 300 for tune after cam swap. I'm just not fond of having to pay that for a retune everytime something is changed. I'd like to do 107 kit in another year or so and that'd be another 300.
Try this guy. He tunes with TTS and is just outside Cartersville.

WOODS PERFORMANCE TUNING - Home

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you haven't yet bought cams and you have the TTS you may as well buy a set of cams that TTS already has a basemap for. It'll make tuning without a dyno easier. I see that you have a 2013. TTS basemaps are limited for your bike for straight download though you can email Steve Cole and see if he has something. The maps listed are for SE 254E, SE 255, and TTS 100 cams.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you haven't yet bought cams and you have the TTS you may as well buy a set of cams that TTS already has a basemap for. It'll make tuning without a dyno easier. I see that you have a 2013. TTS basemaps are limited for your bike for straight download though you can email Steve Cole and see if he has something. The maps listed are for SE 254E, SE 255, and TTS 100 cams.
You have a valid point here... I haven't purchased the cam yet. The SE cams tend to fall off a little to early for me. I wonder how the TTS 100 cam performs??

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Load your TTS software on PC and make sure you update.
Here is a great reference guide written by The Wizard.
TTS For Dummies.
It's in PDF form and I can't post but it's out there

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You have a valid point here... I haven't purchased the cam yet. The SE cams tend to fall off a little to early for me. I wonder how the TTS 100 cam performs??
TTS100 cams are very similar to the SE255 cams. TTS also has a new cam, the TTS150, which is designed to carry further right. I'd lay money on the fact that TTS has a good basemap for that cam for your bike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I put a tts on a friends bike with air and pipes used a canned map got rid of the backfiring and runs fine was easy to install and configure

·
Registered
523 Posts
Folks, the following is correct, but make sure you understand it:

You can download a canned map off the TTS website that will ether match your current configuration or at least be close enough to move forward with fine tuning using the TTS software also available for download off the TTS website. As long as you have the TTS dongle that is linked to your bike you are good to go...
Here's my understanding:

1. The TTS system, dongle plus MasterTune software, gives you the option to "Save factory calibration" when you first start using it.

2. If you fail to do that, the opportunity to restore the bike to factory ECM settings is gone forever.

3. If you fail to do that, you MUST have the TTS dongle to make any future changes to your bike.

4. If you didn't save the factory calibration, and you want to ever use any other flash tuner, you will need to restore the factory calibration. Except you can't do that any more.

5. You can download a map that gives you the same settings as your original factory calibration, but that does not "unhook" the TTS dongle from your bike, and you still need the dongle to do anything.

6. So, if you didn't save the factory calibration, you're going to have to return your ECM to the MoCo to have the original programming restored. I don't know what that costs.

I've attempted to get the correct facts on this situation, but it's difficult. Is my understanding correct?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Folks, the following is correct, but make sure you understand it:

Here's my understanding:

1. The TTS system, dongle plus MasterTune software, gives you the option to "Save factory calibration" when you first start using it.

2. If you fail to do that, the opportunity to restore the bike to factory ECM settings is gone forever.

3. If you fail to do that, you MUST have the TTS dongle to make any future changes to your bike.

4. If you didn't save the factory calibration, and you want to ever use any other flash tuner, you will need to restore the factory calibration. Except you can't do that any more.

5. You can download a map that gives you the same settings as your original factory calibration, but that does not "unhook" the TTS dongle from your bike, and you still need the dongle to do anything.

6. So, if you didn't save the factory calibration, you're going to have to return your ECM to the MoCo to have the original programming restored. I don't know what that costs.

I've attempted to get the correct facts on this situation, but it's difficult. Is my understanding correct?
If done correctly the factory calibration would not only be saved in your personal files (in this case the tuners files) but should also be uploaded into Mastertunes saved files. Even if the tuner did not save the file himself he should have uploaded it for archive to Mastertune. These archives are assessable through the Mastertune website and catorgorized by vin number. If the tuner failed to this then he really is a loser.

Mastertune provides a "Emergency ECM Unlock Utility". The "Emergency ECM Unlock Utility" is intended for customers who have lost their original unlocked (OEM) MTE file. This utility creates an emergency unlocked MTE replacement file from an ordinary MTE backup file. The calibration data within these replacement MTE's is not intended to be used as a functional calibration but rather means of placing your ECM back into an unlocked state.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If done correctly...If the tuner failed to this then he really is a loser...
Yeah, I agree, but on the other hand there really should be some sort of "fail-safe" feature. I think, because if you don't do this you're in a world of hurt, that you should not be able to go forward with your first tune if you don't save the original calibration.

...Mastertune provides a "Emergency ECM Unlock Utility". The "Emergency ECM Unlock Utility" is intended for customers who have lost their original unlocked (OEM) MTE file. This utility creates an emergency unlocked MTE replacement file from an ordinary MTE backup file. The calibration data within these replacement MTE's is not intended to be used as a functional calibration but rather means of placing your ECM back into an unlocked state.
Ok, so if you use the emergency unlock utility, then your factory calibration is NOT restored, but at least you can use another flash tuner on your bike. Correct?

Will your bike run on the emergency unlock MTE file after this procedure is executed? I assume not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts