Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having cams, D&D and SE air cleaner installed at the dealer next week. They were a little stand off-ish because I did not want them to install a SE tuner and dyno it.

Im going to by the extra license for my PV (bought the power vision for my 10 RGC) and flash the bike when I get home. When I told the mech I was going to flash it myself he rolled his eye and said "I never heard that".

Im not concerned about the flash, I think this is a pretty common setup for Fuel Moto and I'll get the map from them.

Will it be a problem riding home (about 10 miles) without having the flash done?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Im having cams, D&D and SE air cleaner installed at the dealer next week. They were a little stand off-ish because I did not want them to install a SE tuner and dyno it.

Im going to by the extra license for my PV (bought the power vision for my 10 RGC) and flash the bike when I get home. When I told the mech I was going to flash it myself he rolled his eye and said "I never heard that".

Im not concerned about the flash, I think this is a pretty common setup for Fuel Moto and I'll get the map from them.

Will it be a problem riding home (about 10 miles) without having the flash done?
No if you already had a stage 1 tune or something on it. If it is stock I wouldnt do it.. Just curious why not do that before you get the work done and flash it when you pick it up.

·
Administrator
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No if you already had a stage 1 tune or something on it. If it is stock I wouldnt do it.. Just curious why not do that before you get the work done and flash it when you pick it up.
I thought about flashing it in the parking lot, but I didn't want to thumb it in their face. My luck, something will go wrong with the flash and I'll be the story they tell everyone about the guy who fried an ecm in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I thought about flashing it in the parking lot, but I didn't want to thumb it in their face. My luck, something will go wrong with the flash and I'll be the story they tell everyone about the guy who fried an ecm in the parking lot.
lol.. Well thats what I would do.. I would be like look let me show you.. lol, back up your old tune and flash the new one :) and if you fry your ecm u are already at the dealer LMAO!

·
Registered
27 Posts

It might sputter a little and run a little lean, but if you don't ride it like you stole it for only 10 miles you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd flash it at the house prior to the work being done. It'll just run a little rich from home to the dealership. Otherwise just running ten miles home shouldn't hurt things too bad if you wanted to wait until after.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
+ 1 on doing the flash first at home. Rather run a little rich then lean.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Not sure how you feel about your dealer but I bet your bike will be flagged and any all issues in the future will be credited to you doing your own flash. Did you inquire about voiding any warranty?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If it was your Shark, you would be fine :D, since it's your Bat, you will probably blow the motor :eek: LMAO!

10 miles should be no big deal...

+1 for flashing at home before you have the work done...

What cams???

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Dan, do the install of cams and parts youself, I have all the tools, even cam bearing puller and installer, you can use them if you like, it is a easy job. Get the new PV license and flash the ECM and you should be good to go. You are also going to buy a new cable for your PV, the cable you have for your RG will not plug into your new bat, Fuel Moto has them for like 25 dead presidents.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
When I told the mech I was going to flash it myself he rolled his eye and said "I never heard that".
Its amazing how many people who work in this industry basically never crawl out from under their rock. The other attitude I love is the look you get that says "I bet this idiot read that on the internet".

Very frustrating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts